The Companions So Far, v4.0 (So Many Spoilers)

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Galwail
Initiate

Re: The Companions So Far, v4.0 (So Many Spoilers)

Post by Galwail » August 17th, 2014, 5:07 am

I did some testing on Pizepi Joren today and the charisma requirement to recruit her is 30 combined over all of your companions including recruited ones and bonuses from trinkets.

It also seems that she is spawned only when the Darwin village is being loaded and anything you do after the loading screen have no effect. So equipping charisma trinkets will not cause her to appear but saving and loading the game afterwards will.

It may also be possible, that she will appear when the Darwin Village quest is completed, but I can't confirm that, because I did all the testing after the quest.

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 17th, 2014, 5:10 am

Hm, I started new playthrough just to get her and had 10 on all four rangers and didn't get her <_< Stupid bugs
The gas mask enthusiast

Galwail
Initiate

Post by Galwail » August 17th, 2014, 5:21 am

That is weird. I can literally cause her to appear and disappear by adding or removing trinkets and then saving and loading the game. Here is the save.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 17th, 2014, 5:43 am

GasMaskFan wrote:Hmm, I think Lex's deserves better rating

I mean, he his bionic arms have like 105% chance to crit after maxing out brawling skill. And bionic arm is like strongest brawling weapon in Arizona, right? So thats 40 damage per hit and since punching is 3 ap he can do at least 80 damage per turn

So basically, just by focusing on brawling skill and using attribute points to improve his speed and ap you can make fine killing machine out of him
Eh, I might push him up to a 6/10, but he's got a lot working against him at the moment. As of the latest build, he's missing 22 Skill Points, because they literally cut entire skills out of his previous character sheet (such as Mechanical Repair 5) without adding in an appropriate replacement. And while he has a solid number of Action Points (9), his overall speed (11 Init, 3 Speed) means that he's going to spend the first couple of turns of most combats having to physically run over to his target - meaning you'll have usually wiped out your opponents with gunfire by the time he gets to do much of anything.

Plus there's the biggest offender, which is that he's just too low a level to really contribute much to a group by the time you can recruit him. In the previous build when he was first introduced, the player was likely to be about Level 25-30 when they got to him. In the current build, the player will realistically be somewhere between 35-40. He's Level 8. There's a massive gulf between the player's likely level, and his level, making him a pretty hefty liability (especially with his tendency to go "berserk" around robotic enemies).

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 17th, 2014, 7:01 am

I guess so. Still, he can take out 120 hp honey badger in one turn easily even at level 11, so thats plus in my book
The gas mask enthusiast

Killyox
Novice

Post by Killyox » August 18th, 2014, 7:36 am

IMO new companions either should be boosted in lvl to what your current lowest lvl party member is (so if you got 19,21 and 25 it get boosted to 19).

Also if you visited shrines before with companion A and B you should be able to visit them later with companion C and get +1 Attribute only for him. Same with other shrines.

Otherwise what's the point? They remain bad, weak, underlevelled, underskilled and gimped because you visited shrine with different companion.

I seriously hope they make something more out of companions.

Lexx
Scholar

Post by Lexx » August 18th, 2014, 9:43 am

For me, the worst is that I just can't replace my mates as soon as I hit the 7 dudes party limit. If Angela Deth wouldn't disappear later, then my team would be pretty much final as soon as I visit RNC. So yeah... the later companions need a serious boost or it is just stupid to replace anyone else from your team.

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 18th, 2014, 10:03 am

To be fair, if they are lower leveled, they level up faster since less exp required <_< Like, when I got the emergency trio, it didn't take them long for level 1 rangers to become level 10. They got like one level per battle or three
The gas mask enthusiast

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » August 18th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Don't forget in the beta you are leveling faster than in the final. So in theory you won't be at the level you are at when you get to most of the companions.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 18th, 2014, 4:12 pm

Woolfe wrote:Don't forget in the beta you are leveling faster than in the final. So in theory you won't be at the level you are at when you get to most of the companions.
True, but I can't imagine that even after it's been slowed down the player will still be in the single-digit level range when they reach the end of Arizona. The CNPC levels just seem a little out of wack in some cases, though it's far from their only problem. :)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » August 18th, 2014, 4:52 pm

SagaDC wrote:
Woolfe wrote:Don't forget in the beta you are leveling faster than in the final. So in theory you won't be at the level you are at when you get to most of the companions.
True, but I can't imagine that even after it's been slowed down the player will still be in the single-digit level range when they reach the end of Arizona. The CNPC levels just seem a little out of wack in some cases, though it's far from their only problem. :)
Fair enough. Just thought it was worthwhile to mention.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

luoshuigui
Scholar

Post by luoshuigui » August 21st, 2014, 10:35 pm

Dont be too hard on DanQ, if in fact in the final game i need 30 Charisma to get Vipula, i think i'll have to recruit him just for his stat, im planning to create 2 rangers with 6 and 2 Charisma each, plus Angie 2, Vulture 6, Takayuki 2, Ralph 4, you see without DanQ i wont be able to get Vipula

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 21st, 2014, 11:11 pm

Huh, yeah, good point, Dan Q might be good if you need more charisma and don't want to create team out of model agency :lol:
The gas mask enthusiast

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 21st, 2014, 11:54 pm

Does anyone here think that the Charisma required to get certain companions should only refer to the Charisma of your basic 4 Rangers, and not the added Charisma of any CNPC you recruit? Seems like it would be easy to exploit.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Galwail
Initiate

Post by Galwail » August 22nd, 2014, 3:23 am

Crosmando wrote:Does anyone here think that the Charisma required to get certain companions should only refer to the Charisma of your basic 4 Rangers, and not the added Charisma of any CNPC you recruit? Seems like it would be easy to exploit.
That would make recruiting really hard on playthroughs, where you create only one ranger. Maybe the requirement could be based on average charisma of your party?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 22nd, 2014, 9:43 pm

Galwail wrote:That would make recruiting really hard on playthroughs, where you create only one ranger.
Since the game isn't designed for you creating only one Ranger and is balanced for four Rangers, I don't rightly see how that particularly matters. If you're going to intentionally cripple yourself by cutting your power by 75%, you can't expect the game to accommodate you.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 23rd, 2014, 6:03 am

I wonder if the only CNPC's in WL2 will be those available in Arizona. Would be kinda annoying to introduce recruitables so late in the game (California).

Also you would imagine it would be better to have newcomers (rather than locals) to LA in your party so they can comment on everything new they see.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 23rd, 2014, 6:49 am

Crosmando wrote:I wonder if the only CNPC's in WL2 will be those available in Arizona. Would be kinda annoying to introduce recruitables so late in the game (California).
It's possible, but I think it's unlikely. The devs give us CNPCs right up to the end of Arizona, so I can't really see them NOT giving us additional CNPCs once we've reached California. Hopefully the companions in LA will be an appropriately high level, though, since at the moment even the ones in the Arizona area don't scale very well.

At the very least, I have to imagine that we'll see at least one recruitable companion per major faction in the Cali area, for those who end up working with said groups instead of against them.
Crosmando wrote:Also you would imagine it would be better to have newcomers (rather than locals) to LA in your party so they can comment on everything new they see.
Well, I think that native Californians would comment on everything they see, too, but from a more informed standpoint. That would probably be the biggest advantage to actually having a "local" CNPC in your party, since they'd presumably be able to act as a guide or information source (as opposed to folks from Arizona, who'd likely just gape and rubberneck a lot).

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 23rd, 2014, 6:51 am

Fair enough, I just dislike getting companions late in the game because of how much it screws with party-building. Also I like to "get used to" a certain party build early on.

wrkq
Acolyte

Post by wrkq » August 23rd, 2014, 7:47 am

There was official word a couple of times that there will be something in lines of twenty (18?) CNPCs, and that the "other half" is waiting to be recruited in California.
Are you sure Desert Rangers haven't been to Mars?