Fountain of Dreams

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Fountain of Dreams

Post by Crosmando » May 12th, 2014, 5:53 am

What is the official InXile stance on this game? Is it like Blizzard and Diablo: Hellfire, ie let's pretend that never happened? I know it's not officially a Wasteland sequel, and obviously it wasn't nearly as good as Wasteland, but it shared an almost identical gameplay/combat style, even the attribute system, health/condition system, learn-by-doing skill system was all pure Wasteland, and it's depiction of post-apocalyptic Florida was suitably whacky and weird. I've never actually finished the game, got to what I think was the "final" area (the Killer clowns compound) and quit because it was impossible to win a fight against those laser gun clowns and I didn't want to just have to grind for a day or so. That said, I actually really like this game (I have it setup with DOSBox currently), the "profession" system with Medic, Hood (thief), Mechanic, Survivalist is pretty cool (though obviously no where as good as a classless system) and the weird setting with killer clowns, mutants, cultists just appealed to me. I actually found out about this game via a review on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLiabysdBds).

Also a cool feature is the ability for your characters to get mutations from getting biten/stung by a mutant creature, though this feature seems to have been rushed as there's only 5 mutations in the whole game. Also an annoying thing about the game is that the shops close after night-time and also on weekends ( :? ), I remember wanting to buy stuff from a store and it was the weekend so I just kept moving around tiles (and fighting random encounters) so time would pass.

EDIT: Would be cool if this game could get added to extras for Wasteland 1 if an arrangement with EA could be done.
Last edited by Crosmando on May 12th, 2014, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Grohal
Adventurer

Re: Fountain of Dreams

Post by Grohal » May 12th, 2014, 7:01 am

Sadly I never played "FoD", I am not even sure it was released in Germany.

If I am not totally wrong I saw a review back then, and it was rated rather bad.

Totally would give it a try today. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 12th, 2014, 7:05 am

It's not a great game, though I certainly would rate it better than the early Wizardry games (before the DW Bradley titles) or plenty of other RPG's from the 80's I've played. You'll notice dfortae (the guy who did that review) also did a particularly good review of Wasteland and also of Bard's Tale 1 and 2.

Oh and here's the manual if you want to have a read: http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Fountai ... ams_manual

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 12th, 2014, 9:26 pm

It shares an engine (like Escape from Hell), but I think that's about it. I don't believe Interplay had anything to do with it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 12th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Drool wrote:It shares an engine (like Escape from Hell), but I think that's about it. I don't believe Interplay had anything to do with it.
Yeah I know they had nothing to do with it, to be honest I'm just hoping in the future they might take a look at FoD, even consider making it canon, although not a great RPG in my opinion it created a whacky/weird post-apoc setting which had no deserts or raiders, was mostly urban or wilderness, also had some interesting ideas like mutations.

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » June 26th, 2014, 8:26 am

I don't think FoD actually used Wasteland's engine; rather, they created an engine from scratch that replicated Wasteland's functionality exactly.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 26th, 2014, 8:45 am

Yeah that's right, it's a bit different from the WL engine, you can tell just by playing. I like how the character sheet takes up the whole screen and it shows everything, attributes, skills (which you can "Use" right from there) and inventory, while in Wasteland it was split up to multiple pages (strangely WL2 with the exception of chargen does this too :? ). Kinda weird cause in that video review the guy seems to imply it's a more primitive engine than WL, but in fact I find it better (with the exception of the 5 character party cap, but I guess that's another thing).

Also in FoD if you're facing enemies with groups of more than 1 type, it displays up to three animated portraits side by side during battle, as opposed to WL when it was always just the one. A nice touch I think. Also the art is just fantastic, some of the best I've ever seen, you can tell it was A-grade professional work limited only by the EGA color palette.

I was thinking of making a Twitter account of something to tweet Brian Fargo about it, but I guess he probably doesn't want anything to do with it.