Weird upper-left corner graphical glitches & Ranger Badge icon glitch

Forum for reporting Bugs in the PC version of Wasteland 3. Please refer to our stickied Bug Forum guidelines before posting.
Xenguin
Initiate

So, brand new MacBook Pro M1 Max and there's a weird issue with the upper-left-most 3" square of the screen. When the screen should be black (such as when loading), it sometimes flickers and shows part of the scene I'm loading into, but when I'm in a scene, it flickers with black squares and speckles. It is never constant, always flickers.

https://imgur.com/6HV8J3j

https://imgur.com/xLteCpL

The second issue is the Ranger Badge that should be under the feet of the character models. The active character has a badge as expected, but all the others have a weird gray square under their feet...

https://imgur.com/xLteCpL
Mattonomicon
Developer
badge image for 4o80c0.png

Thanks for the heads up on this. We have seen an uptick in reports from Mac (specifically those with the M1 chips) and this is being looked into. For clarification, the M1 architecture isn't officially supported by us but that doesn't mean that there's not some way for us to resolve this in the near future.

I won't offer an ETA for a possible resolution, but this is currently being looked into. Soon as there's more info to offer, I'll be sure to share that. Thanks for hanging in there.
rickyrickyatx
Initiate

I'm noticing similar issues with my M1 Max as well. I made a YouTube video showing the glitches:

https://youtu.be/eGWkEkVMMOM
Xenguin
Initiate

Yup, yup, that's exactly it. My glitches are confined to the upper left corner and don't even move from that position, though. Looks like your start off in one set of locations and then move after the intro cinematic.

Ugh.. Sympathies, man.
jayaaseng34
Initiate

Am having the exact same issue as rickyrickyatx with my MacBook Pro M1 Max. Very disheartening, this was the first game I got for my new MacBook Pro, my previous one was ancient and I knew W3 wouldn't run well on it. Apparently the same is true now for my new one.
Last edited by jayaaseng34 on December 3rd, 2021, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattonomicon
Developer

Hi all, thanks for hanging in there. We'll be using this thread to continue to provide updates regarding the Mac M1 Max/Pro chip graphics issue as info becomes available. As it currently stands, Unity and Apple are trying to see exactly where the problem is, as the issue affecting Wasteland 3 seems to impact more than just our title. To those who are playing on the new chips and who have been affected by this, thank you for your patience.
xothan
Initiate
badge image for wl3badge.png

Darn, reporting the same with my brand new M1 Max MBP... Finally upgraded my aging computer and looking forward to playing Wasteland 3 and still can't. :cry:

Crossing fingers for updates to this thread.
losvidrios
Initiate

Same issue here on MacBook 16 inch m1 max 32gb
DrSkywalker
Initiate

16" MacBook Pro 16GB M1 Pro: same upper left flickering. A bit surprised that no fix yet, as this appears to have been known for a while. Tried turning off TruTone and playing with different display settings, but no luck.
kingkogl
Initiate

14" MBP M1 Max. Same issues here. Unplayable. When will this get fixed? :(
ratabora
Initiate

I've got the same issue as well. Hoping to hear an update. Even knowing we might start looking at the issue later this year is better than no response.
mahua
Initiate

Same problems here as well, really hope there is a fix soon.
Mattonomicon
Developer

ratabora wrote: January 29th, 2022, 4:21 pm I've got the same issue as well. Hoping to hear an update. Even knowing we might start looking at the issue later this year is better than no response.
Totally understood. Unfortunately, to date no fix for this issue has been communicated with us by Unity or Apple. If and when any communication comes our way about a fix which resolves this, I'll be sure to post that here. As stated previously, this is an issue affecting other Unity based titles than just Wasteland 3; as such, the resolution will need to come from either Unity or Apple. I apologize I don't have a more direct resolution to convey from our side at this time.
jayaaseng34
Initiate

Appreciate that this is something that needs resolving from Unity or Apple. However, at this point you really need a disclaimer on Steam and other points-of-sale about this issue, because this game is being advertised as Mac compatible when it no longer is. Obviously it will only get worse as more and more people upgrade to new Macs and find the game doesn't work.

If there is a place or forum you know of where affected users can help give voice to this issue vis-a-vis Unity or Apple I'm all ears. In the meantime InXile needs to do the right thing.
Bozbar
Initiate
badge image for 3rz1is.png

Mattonomicon wrote: February 4th, 2022, 11:58 am TAs stated previously, this is an issue affecting other Unity based titles than just Wasteland 3;
Do you have any example of other titles that are affected by this issue?
goodejrr
Initiate

I too have this issue. Commenting so I can track this page.
Mattonomicon
Developer

As a general heads up, the following disclaimer has been amended into the GOG and Steam Wasteland 3 store pages::

Apple users with new M1 Pro or M1 Max chips should note that there are known graphical issues when playing Wasteland 3. This appears to impact multiple titles built in Unity (the engine the game is based on), and is known by Unity and Apple to resolve at the engine and/or OS level. We do not have an ETA when this may be resolved. Until further notice we recommend against playing Wasteland 3 on the M1 Pro/Max chips. These issues do not appear to occur on the base M1 chips; however, your experience may vary.”
Inter
Initiate

Decided to try the game today after owning it since launch.

Macbook Pro 14, 10/16C, 16GB RAM, 1TB

Same issue... Pretty sad that at this rate it may never be fixed, because it runs so well on this laptop.
Bozbar
Initiate
badge image for 3rz1is.png

Bozbar wrote: February 18th, 2022, 5:47 am
Mattonomicon wrote: February 4th, 2022, 11:58 am TAs stated previously, this is an issue affecting other Unity based titles than just Wasteland 3;

Still waiting for an answer to this question.
Mattonomicon
Developer

Bozbar wrote: April 27th, 2022, 7:56 am
Bozbar wrote: February 18th, 2022, 5:47 am

Still waiting for an answer to this question.
I don't have a comprehensive list to offer. It looks like at least a couple other Unity titles have been reported as having a possibly related graphical issue on M1 Macs, over in this thread in the Paradox Forums.

Edit: Being that the first title listed there is experiencing a freezing issue, it may not be the exact same thing as what we're seeing in Wasteland 3.

Return to “Wasteland 3: PC Bug Report Forum”