Very low fps (5-15)

Forum for reporting Bugs in the PC version of Wasteland 3. Please refer to our stickied Bug Forum guidelines before posting.
Charlie_Clutch
Initiate

Hello all,

I made this post on steam, but figured it might be helpful to also make it here. (More eyes and more opportunity for people to find a solution.)

I just bought the game yesterday and it has been unplayable. No issues with frames in the opening menu, character creation, or first cutscene. However, as soon as the first fight started, my frames dropped to 5-15 fps. The range is accounted for by settings. That is, if I turn everything on/highest (which happens from auto-detect), I am at the lowest end (around 5-7). If I turn everything off/lowest, I get up to 15 fps.

However, my computer should have no issues.
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
16 GB Ram
Windows 10

When looking at Task Manager or temps, I see no red flags (e.g., high temps, 100% usage, etc. --- actually, very low 7-13% usage for both CPU/GPU)

A friend and I have tried search for the answer, but every time we find anything similar to my situation, there is never a posted solution (or at least one that worked.)

I have tried changing some settings in Nvidia Control Panel (open to trying again). Drivers are up-to-date, and I have no issues playing any other games.

Given that my build isn't running with all setting at lowest, this suggests to me that it isn't simply "poor optimization." Even a very poorly optimized game such as this, I should have
no issues at least getting it to playable. This feels like some oddball setting that is misbehaving, or something related to the engine.

I have submitted a support ticket to inXile, but as I have no idea a) their response time, or b) if they will be able to help, I wanted to see if the community had any fixes.

Thank you,
Charlie
sear
Developer
badge image for 4o80c0.png

Sorry to hear that. I don't know immediately what might be the cause, but obviously you've done some troubleshooting so I'll skip the basics like updating drivers. I would definitely expect much better performance from your system - I have a GTX 970 and can get 60 fps in the game no problem at 1080 to 1440 res.

A few ideas you could try quickly:

- Verify your installation on Steam to rule out a corrupt install issue: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/v ... -DA71-93EB

- You could also try creating a new local Windows account and seeing if that helps. I've occasionally had my user profile on Windows start exhibiting weird issues in the past, and creating a new account has historically fixed this.

- If you're using an anti-virus program, try disabling it temporarily (and verify cache files again) to make sure it's not interfering with the game. You could also try creating an exception for your steamapps folder so it doesn't try to scan your game files while playing.

- Similarly, any third party tools you have running in the background should be closed, as it's possible something else is somehow interfering with the game. A clean boot might be helpful here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 7a1807f3dd

That said, getting in touch with the support folks is probably your best bet, especially if you can get them log files, system reports and similar so they can dive into more detail. Hopefully you can get the issue resolved!
Charlie_Clutch
Initiate

sear wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:06 am Sorry to hear that. I don't know immediately what might be the cause, but obviously you've done some troubleshooting so I'll skip the basics like updating drivers. I would definitely expect much better performance from your system - I have a GTX 970 and can get 60 fps in the game no problem at 1080 to 1440 res.

A few ideas you could try quickly:

- Verify your installation on Steam to rule out a corrupt install issue: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/v ... -DA71-93EB

- You could also try creating a new local Windows account and seeing if that helps. I've occasionally had my user profile on Windows start exhibiting weird issues in the past, and creating a new account has historically fixed this.

- If you're using an anti-virus program, try disabling it temporarily (and verify cache files again) to make sure it's not interfering with the game. You could also try creating an exception for your steamapps folder so it doesn't try to scan your game files while playing.

- Similarly, any third party tools you have running in the background should be closed, as it's possible something else is somehow interfering with the game. A clean boot might be helpful here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 7a1807f3dd

That said, getting in touch with the support folks is probably your best bet, especially if you can get them log files, system reports and similar so they can dive into more detail. Hopefully you can get the issue resolved!
I really appreciate the thoughtful response! I have submitted a support ticket, and they gave me a bunch of recommendations to try, which, for the most part, include these. The only exception is the clean boot --- in a very busy time at work, but perhaps when Thanksgiving rolls around I can give that a try (if nothing else ends up working).

For the interest in anyone who experiences a similar problem, I will provide the first list of recommendations. Again, none of these solutions worked for me, so the ticket remains open. But perhaps they will work for you.

- Check for Windows updates and install them
- Re-install your GPU drivers, if you have recently updated them, try installing the previous version of drivers
- Try whitelisting whole game folder instead of just the .exe file through your antivirus settings
- Disable or uninstall your anti-virus software
- Uninstall the game, restart your PC then re-install the game to your main drive
- Make sure that the game uses your external GPU instead of your on-board graphic card
- Disable auto and quick save features
sear
Developer

One other possibly crazy sounding thing that comes to mind - when I used to do support tickets, I remember one situation where someone exhibited strange performance issues with a new video card. It turned out it was a result of the card being very slightly incorrectly seated in the PCI-e slot.

If you're willing to crack your system open, you could try unplugging and replugging your video card, memory, etc. to see if maybe something isn't fully making contact. It's weird that it'd only exhibit problems on a single game, but maybe something about the engine or game itself is doing something other games you play aren't.

Another thing I forgot to mention initially is, if you have an overclock on any components (CPU, GPU or memory), get rid of it and see if that makes a difference. Again, this probably isn't it, but I've definitely seen unstable overclocks cause crashes and bugs before in very rare situations.
wintermute2_0
Initiate

I started having this issue a couple weeks ago. I have owned the game for several months and it ran fine until now. As soon as I load a saved game, the frame rates drop to a point where the game is nearly unplayable. I have tried updating video drivers as well as rolling them back, but nothing seems to help. Please let me know if you find a solution.
Mattonomicon
Developer

wintermute2_0 wrote: October 30th, 2021, 1:48 pm I started having this issue a couple weeks ago. I have owned the game for several months and it ran fine until now. As soon as I load a saved game, the frame rates drop to a point where the game is nearly unplayable. I have tried updating video drivers as well as rolling them back, but nothing seems to help. Please let me know if you find a solution.
Please report back with your CPU, GPU, RAM, and OS version. Ty!
chadwickthebard
Initiate

Having the exact same issue with a 3700X and 3080. Game is basically unplayable. I started at 4K, but tried bumping down to 1080p low and the drops still persist.

Return to “Wasteland 3: PC Bug Report Forum”