Polly the Parrot Won't Rejoin Party After Being Dismissed

Forum for reporting Bugs in the PC version of Wasteland 3. Please refer to our stickied Bug Forum guidelines before posting.
WhiteKnighted
Initiate

I can click dismiss on Polly the Parrot, and he leaves the party. When I then click on him again to re-add him I am prompted to pay him $150 and have him rejoin. (Previously in 1.0.6 I had the option with animal whisper 7 to have him rejoin without paying, but that seems to be gone now). No money is deducted, however, and he does not rejoin. I have tested and if I am on the Bizarre Exterior map, he *does* rejoin, but only there -- and the $150 is deducted again, every time.

https://i.imgur.com/GpD1Lma.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/BIhfm4y.jpg

Link to save file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1e4d6id3zytk ... g.xml?dl=0

Link to player log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndobmqjh6paqn ... r.log?dl=0
vehementi
Novice

Can you manually use the animal whisperer skill on it?
WhiteKnighted
Initiate

I cannot, it triggers the dialogue as if I'm clicking on a standard npc.
AnomalousUnderdog
Initiate

Happened to me too. I merely wanted to transfer Polly to another character who I thought would benefit from Polly's buff more.

Despite having gone through several missions with Polly already, he asks for the $150 after being dismissed. If I do it in the Bizzare map (dismiss him and ask him to join again), when I click on the $150 payment dialogue choice, the camera zooms in on Larry (or whoever his original owner was, I forgot the name) and he interjects by saying he wishes me well, as if he was part of the conversation the entire time. Polly doesn't get re-added to the party though.

Good thing I quick-saved, right now he is stuck on a sniper, but I think his evasion buff would benefit a frontline character more.
Lenox
Initiate

Is there a solution or update to this? I'm a new player and don't even see the $150 option. Once I dismiss Polly, I see no method to have him rejoin.

The reason I want to do this is to swap the Waste Wolf animal companion for the Pig. To do that, I need to dismiss all animal companions on my Animal Whisperer squad member.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Lenox on March 31st, 2021, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juris
Scholar

That's weird manually doing animal whisperer on Polly has worked for me - maybe doing it on the bizarre map is the problem?

Basically Polly is strange. He's like the Bison - he becomes the companion of the person doing the talking for free - you don't even need animal whisperer. But this only works the first time. You can end up with 3 or more animal companions on one character but you can never change them.

WhiteKnighted wrote: September 6th, 2020, 7:53 pm I cannot, it triggers the dialogue as if I'm clicking on a standard npc.
Lenox
Initiate

Juris wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:08 am That's weird manually doing animal whisperer on Polly has worked for me - maybe doing it on the bizarre map is the problem?

Basically Polly is strange. He's like the Bison - he becomes the companion of the person doing the talking for free - you don't even need animal whisperer. But this only works the first time. You can end up with 3 or more animal companions on one character but you can never change them.

WhiteKnighted wrote: September 6th, 2020, 7:53 pm I cannot, it triggers the dialogue as if I'm clicking on a standard npc.
Hey, Juris. Thanks for the comments. I haven't yet met the Bison, so I won't comment on that.

I've tried on other maps with no success. Below is my setup. Can you point me in the right direction?

Lucia Wesson
Animal Whisperer 9 (with Grooming Brush)
Perk - Animal Training

1) Waste Wolf
NIGHT BITE
Strike like a wolf in the dark.
Sneak Attack Damage: +5.00%

2) Polly
SLICK CHICK
Don't let 'em ruffle your feathers.
Evasion: +5%

3) Major Tomcat
SCRAPPY TABBY
Don't bring a gun to a cat fight.
Strike Rate: +2%

If I dismiss all 3:
  • At any point after dismissal, if I left-click Waste Wolf or Polly, I just get a chat bubble.
  • I can use Charm Animal on either Waste Wolf or Polly to get one of them back.
  • With whichever one I do second, I receive the message, "This character already has an animal follower."
  • I can always get Major Tomcat back. His mention in this thread is just for informational purposes.
Is it possible that it's not a bug that I can't get Polly + a generic animal companion back at the same time? Perhaps it's not meant to have both? And it's supposed to only be Major Tomcat + other?
Lenox
Initiate

Juris wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:08 am That's weird manually doing animal whisperer on Polly has worked for me - maybe doing it on the bizarre map is the problem?

I just noticed you mentioned you can never change them. What's up with that? Is that working as intended?

Return to “Wasteland 3: PC Bug Report Forum”