Damn it, Angela, why did you have to put me in this position (Spoilers)

Discuss the story & quests of Wasteland 3. Please avoid spoilers in subject lines.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

AussieLurker
Initiate

Damn it, Angela, why did you have to put me in this position (Spoilers)

Post by AussieLurker »

Seriously, I was so hyped to hear from Angela Deth, as she was the core or my squad all the way up to Canyon of Titan, & I was gutted when I thought she'd bought it over Los Angelas. Yet then she goes & puts me in this untenable position with the Patriarch?!?! Man, that hurts.
Aasdaasf
Initiate

Re: Damn it, Angela, why did you have to put me in this position (Spoilers)

Post by Aasdaasf »

Yeah and you have to consider that the plan she has in mind is quite insane and unheroic too despite her claiming otherwise.

She wants to give an army to a slaver with a destiny complex. No doubt there will be raping and pillaging involved but apparently it doesn't matter to Angela as long as it isn't the Patriarch doing it.
Cipher
Scholar

Post by Cipher »

And shall we mention the fact you are gonna face Takeyouki , Brother Thomas and Monk? Or that she totally SUCKS in combat as NPC
AussieLurker
Initiate

Post by AussieLurker »

Cipher wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm And shall we mention the fact you are gonna face Takeyouki , Brother Thomas and Monk? Or that she totally SUCKS in combat as NPC
Shh, I haven't got that far yet.....I have only just recieved Deth's first radio message.
Cipher
Scholar

Post by Cipher »

It clearly says "spoilers" in the title....
AussieLurker
Initiate

Post by AussieLurker »

Cipher wrote: September 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm It clearly says "spoilers" in the title....
I wrote the original post 😛. Just sayin'
AussieLurker
Initiate

Post by AussieLurker »

Cipher wrote: September 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm It clearly says "spoilers" in the title....
seriously, I am still dealing with Valor & The Gippers.
Juris
Scholar

Post by Juris »

For me it was Tak, Bro Thom, and Pistol Pete on team Angie.

But agree Angela has a terrible plan - just walking around with Iron Cordite is enough to reject her plan - he's a psychopathic slaver and is going to set up a slave state in Kansas. She also kills half the rangers at your base and calls it 'winning' - INCLUDING the refugees. Yep, the refugee room is nothing but corpses so all those innocent people you saved get slaughtered.

Also, among the pro-Angie forces at your base is the mafia guys in the armory.

And the icing on the cake of stupid - she has no plan to save Arizona. If she had an alternative way of getting supplies to AZ then okay, maybe I could sympathize. But letting AZ just die means Rail Nomad, Ag Center etc all die too. What was the point of W2?!

At least I could talk her down but only at the very end and spare her followers. I like how the patriarch takes her prisoner and the end animation is about her funeral so... he didn't make the mistake of keeping her prisoner in his Austin-powers lair.
Cipher wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm And shall we mention the fact you are gonna face Takeyouki , Brother Thomas and Monk? Or that she totally SUCKS in combat as NPC
Smart_Cuttlefish
Initiate

Post by Smart_Cuttlefish »

I definitely like me some grey endings. I was a bit sad though that Deth's seemed less grey and more straight up black.

Yes, there should be at least a little soul searching about sticking by the Patriarch when you discover just how many skeletons he has in the closet, and how most of his current problems stem from questionable decisions coming back to haunt him.

But what does Deth's bring to the table? "True Rangers can't accept help if the person offering it has innocent blood on their hands". Her solution? Throw Arizona AND Kansas under the bus, help out a cruel slaver warlord (the same one she condemns the Patriarch for making a deal with years ago), and kill the only guy sort of holding Colarado together with no plan on what happens next beyond "whack people we don't like and hope someone good eventually takes over". Oh, and she'd like to kill some of your companions - no, not the demonstrably evil ones, rather the pretty nice ones because they disagree with her. To take down the Patriarch she's acting a lot like the Patriarch, only he never turned his back on his people like she's prepared to.

It's so hypocritical and insane I was honestly waiting for a reveal she was an imposter or something out to sow chaos. Doubly so given what happens if you don't side with her.

I'd really like her time in Colarado expanded upon in DLC to help establish how she reached that perspective, because she was coming on pretty extreme.
Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 »

I have half a mind to just assume that Deth is Liberty Buchanon in disguise. None of anything she does benefits anyone in any way.
Hey, you got your playthough, I got mine. General Vargas is alive and well in Arizona, reloading a pistol on top of a destroyed Scorpiton. Hell Razor had too many HP's to die and is out hunting down robots with his proton ax. Angela Deth is governor of Hollywood. The one we have to take down is a fake with a famous name.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

This is from the perspective of someone who has only gotten as far as the Hoon Ranch meeting with Angie.
Juris wrote: September 8th, 2020, 12:26 pmBut agree Angela has a terrible plan - just walking around with Iron Cordite is enough to reject her plan - he's a psychopathic slaver and is going to set up a slave state in Kansas.
Her plan is exceptionally short sighted, historically ignorant, and grossly hypocritical.

Killing the Patriarch without a plan for succession will create a massive power vacuum, dooming Colorado Springs to chaos and death. She just wants to play morality kingmaker without actually selecting a successor. Her plan will result in mass death in Arizona, Colorado, and Kansas. Her sneering disdain for Arizona accepting the Patriarch's blood money is especially galling considering she's consigning the people of Kansas to the same, or worse, by shipping all the murderous, cannibal slavers out there. You may not be able to save or protect Kansas, but that doesn't mean you should serve them up on a silver platter. Yeah, you're a moral beacon, Angie.

The Patriarch is undeniably a tyrant, and certainly an ends-justify-the-means monster who is willing to build his city on a foundation of corpses. But it's the post-apocalypse. An enlightened philosopher king would likely get steamrolled. But that doesn't mean flat assassination is the way to go. Succession must be considered even before planning the removal in the first place. But Angie doesn't want to have that responsibility. She just wants to eliminate those she terms bad and help those she thinks is good. Problem is, that doesn't work. The place will either turn into an abandoned hub of lawlessness as gangs vie for control, or another strongman will roll in and crush all opposition, including Angie.

Frankly, Angie is the worst of the three major factions. The Patriarch is brutality restrained (and going to freaking die in a few years anyway). Liberty is brutality unrestrained. But Angie is complete and utter chaos and anarchy while telling herself that she's the moral one.

The more I think about it, the more I think putting a bullet in her head is the sanest course of action. Kill her, kill Liberty, and then bide time until the Patriarch's Plot Disease kills him. Spend that time shoring up the support of the Hundred Families and the refugees and have the Rangers slide in as rulers once he's gone.

Or, hell, let Flab take over.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
contracandles
Initiate

Post by contracandles »

I mean I do agree the Angela's logic and overall plan makes little sense. That being said, it is 100% possible to side with Angela, get all the supplies for Arizona, and establish a peaceful transition of power without killing the Patriarch. I was under the impression that this was the "good/canonical" ending but it looks like a lot of people missed it despite the fact the requirements aren't that extreme. It's strongly hinted how you're supposed to accomplish it more than once. I didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure you can even execute cordite when you meet him, which would even end up saving Kansas in the process (haven't tried it though).
belsirk
Novice

Post by belsirk »

Amen! I got more or less happy with my ending, but I was so sad to have forcing Angela to her death at the hands of the [unholy] Patriarch. Still, there were some hints that she was like that since Wasteland 2. I suppose the ghosts on her minds just take her best judgment away.
cealicu_ca
Initiate

Post by cealicu_ca »

I just got a thought... would it be possible to actually kill Angela when you first meet her? Force attack?

Damned if I won't do another playthrough just for this, but is there someone out there that already tried this?

I wonder... would that same your Ranger HQ from civil war? :D

I know I'd do it, now that I know what kind of twisted monster she has become...
NeonBlade
Initiate

Post by NeonBlade »

It's actually hilarious. It is said we need to "punish" the Patriarch for his crimes, so I sat intently waiting to hear this list of crimes. He bought off a bunch of slavers, sadists and religious fanatics to go elsewhere. Ooookaaaay? But wait there's more. You want to give one of the chief slavers an Army, so he can unite slavers and murderers and own Kansas, atleast the Patriarch made them distrustful of each other. So they weren't a united front until Liberty cooked up her plot.

Saul is also blamed for the Marshalls behavior, when infact Daisy is there leader and is directly responsible for the bribery and strong arming of the citizens.

Make it make sense please. The more I think of the story, the more I look at the walls wondering what were they doing in the writing sessions.
Azureth
Initiate

Post by Azureth »

If her plan is so obviously bonkers, then why do people feel the need to side with her? Just cause she was a good fellow in WL2?

There were several NPCs questioning her sanity along the way. Perhaps she IS insane and we're meant to tell her so.

Still, maybe we could've used few more NPCs telling us that old Angie is no more and this gal is just insane.
Cipher
Scholar

Post by Cipher »

Because she was a Ranger. I was fond to her. And so I decided to side with her regardless ; however , what she has done is despicable and questionable.

Return to “Wasteland 3: Story & Quests”