Guide: DOS and DON'TS in WL3, incl. gear choices and squad builds (all SJ proven)

Discuss Wasteland 3 gameplay topics like builds, systems, items, and combat. Please avoid spoilers in subject lines.
frozyx
Adventurer
badge image for wl3badge.png

Inftje wrote: March 15th, 2022, 3:59 am Hi,

thank you for this post, it helped me a lot getting into WL3.

I mostly followed your builds but made some adjustments (or plan to).
  • I will probably make the handgunner a sniper by using the points in weird science for Sniper skill, at least up until end of midgame. Might respec after that
  • I was unsure first but I totally get why you don't play with pets. Taking the buff but not having the pet feels a bit like cheating though, not sure if I want to do that.
  • Why did you pick Ironclad over Scotchmo? The only advantage I see is access to cyborg stuff (if I take the combat shooting skillbook) and something at Yuma (don't know yet). Scotchmo seems to be a better damage dealer, so without being spiled about Yuma it's really only cyborg technology on Ironclad while having combat shooting on another char. Does this outweigh Scotchmos damage potential?
And another small question: Why not talk to Flab in bizarre? Is there something that you get locked out of if you do his mission?
Hey, thanks for the kind words! And like i already replied on reddit:

1. Sure go ahead. The builds are not meant to be followed 100%, just there for orientation. If you like a sniper in your party, go ahead.

2. Sure thing. I do it b/c i assume the pets being on a 'passive' mode that i even requested a long while ago on the forums :)

3. This is very much down to personal choice. I even rated both NPCs the same in the NPC section. I use Ironclad a bit more defensive than my other brawler, thus i dont miss Scotchmos quirk. But if you want to use a more offensive brawler and dont mind missing out on cyborg perks (and the fantastic Adrenal Enhancers) then go with Scotchmo

4. Hm, i remember that some kind of timer starts when talking to Flab and get his Bizarre main quest. I dont wanna do that yet b/c i often do Gett Homestead and Monster Bunker first for example. But maybe it isnt a problem actually to talk to Flab already ...

Actually, i also think i am used to go with Cordite b/c i used that squad before retraining NPCs was possible and Cordite has much better base stats (attributes and skills) than Scotchmo. Its fairly hard to fit the latter in w/out respeccing.
Jhowker
Initiate

frozyx wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:19 am 2.4 Quirks and backgrounds

Tier 1 Quirk is Varangian Blood. You can both control it by killing one of your chars (in an aoe attack for example) and it also acts as a failsafe when one or more chars get downed. The massive procs will help to turn the battle around.
frozyx wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:19 am 2.6 Pets

I recommend not using them, b/c they are in the way (blocking paths or in your AoE attack zone), killing stuff you dont want to die (Steeltown for example) and they plain simply slow down the game drastically. At least they dont steal exp anymore ...
What about Vengeful Bond Perk?
It procs the exact same way as Varangian Blood – with no drawbacks – and give a permanent buff of +50% crit and +2 AP. You can actually proc it safely before engaging a fight.
frozyx
Adventurer

Jhowker wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:27 am
frozyx wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:19 am 2.4 Quirks and backgrounds

Tier 1 Quirk is Varangian Blood. You can both control it by killing one of your chars (in an aoe attack for example) and it also acts as a failsafe when one or more chars get downed. The massive procs will help to turn the battle around.
frozyx wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:19 am 2.6 Pets

I recommend not using them, b/c they are in the way (blocking paths or in your AoE attack zone), killing stuff you dont want to die (Steeltown for example) and they plain simply slow down the game drastically. At least they dont steal exp anymore ...
What about Vengeful Bond Perk?
It procs the exact same way as Varangian Blood – with no drawbacks – and give a permanent buff of +50% crit and +2 AP. You can actually proc it safely before engaging a fight.
I am not a big fan of pets and therefore also dont ramp up the Animal Whisper skill in the required numbers. But if you choose to go down that path then Vengeful Bond can ofc be a useful ability.
TemporalFugue
Initiate

Great and informative guide! Thank you for all the hard work.
One quick question. How do I read the little boxes in the bottom left corner of the spreadsheets?
frozyx
Adventurer

TemporalFugue wrote: May 25th, 2022, 4:58 pm Great and informative guide! Thank you for all the hard work.
One quick question. How do I read the little boxes in the bottom left corner of the spreadsheets?
Thanks a lot!

You mean the grey ones in the character sheets, columns A to C?
They are actually more of a reminder for myself, showing what support for each skill is available from Trinkets with +1 of the skill ("Trkt"), same with Armor ("Arm") and if Skillbooks are available. Its not necessarily complete or updated, as kiss ass for example used to have no trinket for a long while until the ranger star was changed recently.

Return to “Wasteland 3: Gameplay Discussion”