Simple improvements

Discuss Wasteland 3 gameplay topics like builds, systems, items, and combat. Please avoid spoilers in subject lines.
Grohal
Master
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for wl3badge.png

Acheron18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 10:56 am I really like the game but there are some (in my opinion) unfortunate mistakes in game design. Fixing these should be quite simple and would make the game much more enjoyable. I'm sure others have mentioned these but I wanted to add my five cents.

- Allow us to have a full party of custom rangers. Being forced to have two story characters makes it very hard to optimize a party, which for some of us is half the fun. This would be mitigated if we could fully respec characters, including story characters, but I would like the option of creating all six party members myself. This would also make sense considering how little impact the story characters have on the actual story.
Naw, it was always like this in the series (on this give me back my 7th ranger, at least in the part 4 InXile. Keep your vehicle if you must). But the impact on the story could be greater yes.
- Let us remove armor and weapon mods. Being unable to remove mods is just terrible gameplay design. It makes you not use any mods because you never know when you might find a better piece of gear. It's also insanely unrealistic. I usually argue that games don't need to be realistic but being unable to remove a magazine or a scope is just plain stupid.
Agreed. That should be possible, at least if you master it with rank 10.
- Have skill books adjust the cost of subsequent skill levels. Being forced to hoard skill books in order not to waste skill points is never fun.
No opinion here. I never had a problem with hording things for a while.
- Make the cybernetics slot separate from the trinket slot. Being forced to choose between an implant and a trinket makes cybernetics feel almost useless, especially at the high cost. I really don't think being able to equip both would feel over-powered.
Yeah, agreed. That sounds good.
If other players agree that these changes would be good, please post your support.
Just did.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
frozyx
Adventurer

five_by_five wrote: May 18th, 2021, 3:04 am The middle ground of allowing only unique mods to be removed (perhaps with a fee) seems most reasonable to me. With all other mods, you can play the odds. Though speaking of odds, might be worth to take another look at those. Field stripping yielded chokes and magazines way too often in my last couple of playthroughs.
A fee would be alright, as it would also counteract the economic implications of mods being reusable (one argument from Matt). Not sure if only unique mods should be removable, doesnt seem intutive to me. Also note that certain mods never appear from field stripping, or at least it used to be a few patches ago (maybe its fixed now): viewtopic.php?f=76&t=22390&p=214111#p214111

Grohal wrote: May 18th, 2021, 11:23 am
Acheron18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 10:56 am - Let us remove armor and weapon mods. Being unable to remove mods is just terrible gameplay design. It makes you not use any mods because you never know when you might find a better piece of gear. It's also insanely unrealistic. I usually argue that games don't need to be realistic but being unable to remove a magazine or a scope is just plain stupid.
Agreed. That should be possible, at least if you master it with rank 10.
Can also add this as a perk in Armorsmithing, maybe on tier 7 or 8. Armorsmithing doesnt have many perks anyway.

Grohal wrote: May 18th, 2021, 11:23 am
Acheron18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 10:56 am Make the cybernetics slot separate from the trinket slot. Being forced to choose between an implant and a trinket makes cybernetics feel almost useless, especially at the high cost. I really don't think being able to equip both would feel over-powered.
Yeah, agreed. That sounds good.
That would have a huge impact on balancing Cybernetics vs Combat shooting. Currently the trade off is 1 guy with Combat Shooting vs 6 guys being able to use Cyber trinkets instead of normal ones. With this change it would be 1 Combat Shooter vs 6 characters who get an ADDITIONAL trinket. Thats something else.
Grohal
Master
badge image for 5p2s6t.png

frozyx wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:21 pm ...
That would have a huge impact on balancing Cybernetics vs Combat shooting. Currently the trade off is 1 guy with Combat Shooting vs 6 guys being able to use Cyber trinkets instead of normal ones. With this change it would be 1 Combat Shooter vs 6 characters who get an ADDITIONAL trinket. Thats something else.
While you are of course right there, I always appreciate more choices.
I personally would never give all my Rangers cyber stuff, because of what happened in Wasteland 2. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
Cipher
Scholar

Now that we can craft mods , I think we just reached the middle ground ;=)

Return to “Wasteland 3: Gameplay Discussion”