critique my SJ character plan? (spoilers)

Discuss Wasteland 3 gameplay topics like builds, systems, items, and combat. Please avoid spoilers in subject lines.
demeisen
Explorer
badge image for wl3badge.png

I finished the game on Ranger with no metagaming, and am planning to play again on SJ with metagaming, to be less wasteful now that I have some ideas where the game goes. However, I'm lost in analysis paralysis :). I know some people have finished SJ multiple times and have far more experience with the system than I do. Any feedback on this?

Lucia:
skills: small arms,
weapons: shotguns, pistols, hard ass

thinking: In my first play, Lucia used pistols more than shotguns. It was often hard to establish a position to hit >2 enemies and no friendlies, especially with Major Tom running into the fray. It happened, but I guess pistol to shotgun ratio was maybe 75%/25%. Apparently the Jackhammer used to be 3 AP's, and is now 5 (a good balance change, IMHO). I'm considering giving Lucia the Jackhammer with the -1AP magazine mod, but I'm worried I won't get enough use out of the shotgun to matter. She seemed to fall naturally into the role of finishing off anything that got too close using the pistol.

Kwon:
skills: automatic weapons, kiss ass, explosives (for the PDW-01)
weapons: SMG, AR

Pyro/Heavy:
background: explodomaniac
quirk: pyromaniac
skills: explosives, heavy weapons, sneaky shit, toaster repair
weapons: rocket launcher, HMG w/ fire mod, flamethrower

Sniper:
background: Goat Killer
quirk: death wish (to sustain 2 shots / turn)
skills: sniper rifle, mechanics, a bit of animal whisperer
weapons: sniper rifle, deploying mechanicals, party pal

thinking: I find snipers fun to play, but in my Ranger run, I never got any of the best SR's! I capped out at the Black Star. I didn't get the SR2000 because I didn't want to turn that girl over to the slavers, and I won't want to this time either. That leaves the Eliminator, which I never found. Some online guides say you can buy it from Cheebus, and I encountered Cheebus once, but he didn't sell it. I'm afraid if I don't find it this time either, it'll hurt my SJ team a lot.

Brawler:
quirk: circus freak
background: sex machine
skills: brawling, enough weird science for the exoskeleton armor, lockpicking
weapons: brawling weapons, cyberfist in utility slot

Leader/Healer:
quirk:
skills: leadership, first aid, weapon modding, nerd stuff
weapons: dunno. maybe melee, for backup crowd control via stunning blow? Or maybe a secondary SMG'er?

Random stuff:
  • I never used Overcharge. Bonus energy/cold/fire sounds great, but that 5% chance of the "weapon blowing up" sounded terrible to me. I don't want to lose a modded weapon one time in 20 that I fire it. Should I reconsider this for any reason?
  • How is exp allocated? Does bypassing combat via talking generally leave you in about the same place, exp-wise, or is it better to fight most of the time?
  • I didn't find several map locations last time, despite passing right by. I never got the Cannibal Jamboree event, for example. Is there some randomness to this, or did I miss doing something that triggers it? Ditto Knox Bison Ranch.
  • I favored mobility over armor on Ranger. I'm inclined to make the same tradeoff in SJ. Reasonable?
  • I'm inclined to try for more animals than just Major Tom this time, but I'm worried they'll just make it hard to use AOEs.
Rayman
Novice

There is not much meta in this game, shotgun used to be meta before crit chances were nerfed, and later shotguns. Each weapon is useful for something.
demeisen wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:51 pm Lucia:
skills: small arms,
weapons: shotguns, pistols, hard ass

thinking: In my first play, Lucia used pistols more than shotguns. It was often hard to establish a position to hit >2 enemies and no friendlies, especially with Major Tom running into the fray. It happened, but I guess pistol to shotgun ratio was maybe 75%/25%. Apparently the Jackhammer used to be 3 AP's, and is now 5 (a good balance change, IMHO). I'm considering giving Lucia the Jackhammer with the -1AP magazine mod, but I'm worried I won't get enough use out of the shotgun to matter. She seemed to fall naturally into the role of finishing off anything that got too close using the pistol.
[/list]
The shotguns have been a bit weak but they are not useless. The problem with shotguns is now if you have a shotgun leader and if you kill multiple opponents at once there is a bug that causes you not to get the leader bonus. So for Lucia, I made the opponents finish off low hp enemies with a shotgun and focus more on using revolvers.
demeisen wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:51 pm 5% chance of the "weapon blowing up"
I use this ability on my Pizepi many times and it only happened to me once. The weapon is not destroyed, only the user falls and you have to revive the user.
demeisen wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:51 pm Brawler:
quirk: circus freak
background: sex machine
skills: brawling, enough weird science for the exoskeleton armor, lockpicking
weapons: brawling weapons, cyberfist in utility slot
Make a stun brawler and max out your charisma.

demeisen wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:51 pm Leader/Healer:
quirk:
skills: leadership, first aid, weapon modding, nerd stuff
weapons: dunno. maybe melee, for backup crowd control via stunning blow? Or maybe a secondary SMG'er?
Serial killer from combination automatic weapons is op. Serial killer and aw perk on level 10, you get free +6 ap for kill. If you want you can make a revolver-shottgun leader like I did but then you'll have a hard time getting bonuses. The bonuses aren't very important, but they are useful sometimes
demeisen wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:51 pm Sniper:
background: Goat Killer
quirk: death wish (to sustain 2 shots / turn)
skills: sniper rifle, mechanics, a bit of animal whisperer
weapons: sniper rifle, deploying mechanicals, party pal
For the sniper. Oh god, they nerfed it hard that it almost became useless. At the moment I only use a sniper rifle that has a risky shot ability. Sorry eliminator, i need more frequent critical hits so.. black star only. Death wish is okay if you want to shoot twice but I always use the sado quirk to do a lot of damage with the risky shoot.

On discord and here on the forum I have all the builds made for every companion. And some builds for one companion i have been using a lot.
demeisen
Explorer
badge image for wl3badge.png

Thanks a lot for your insights. I appreciate it.
Rayman wrote: February 28th, 2021, 11:43 pm There is not much meta in this game
By "metagaming" I meant more from a knowledge perspective. For example, I never used any of the best weapons mods in my first play, since I never knew whether there were better weapons coming just around the corner. This time, I'm playing while looking at charts of all the available weapons and armor, so i can plan things out from the beginning.
Rayman wrote: February 28th, 2021, 11:43 pm The weapon is not destroyed, only the user falls and you have to revive the user.
Oh that's good to know. That changes the entire nature of what I thought it was. I'll try it this time around.
Rayman wrote: February 28th, 2021, 11:43 pm Serial killer from combination automatic weapons is op.
Do you think that's better than picking the fire or explosive quirk? I was afraid of the -1AP when not landing a kill that turn, and later in the game on Ranger, enemies had so much health that my AR/SMG user often didn't kill. On the other hand, I guess serial killer will be useful throughout the entire game, as opposed to pyro which only matters at the very end once you get weapon you'll add a fire mod to.

Hmm... I think you convinced me to try serial killer this time on a leadership char.
demeisen wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:51 pm For the sniper. Oh god, they nerfed it hard that it almost became useless.
There's still something that seems advantageous about the large range of SR's. I didn't have very good crit % on my sniper in my first play, but she was still nice to have around. She seemed to have much better aimed shot %'s for the random effect components like the extra head shot damage, and she was also better at hitting enemies in cover.

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Rayman
Novice

demeisen wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:10 am Do you think that's better than picking the fire or explosive quirk? I was afraid of the -1AP when not landing a kill that turn, and later in the game on Ranger, enemies had so much health that my AR/SMG user often didn't kill. On the other hand, I guess serial killer will be useful throughout the entire game, as opposed to pyro which only matters at the very end once you get weapon you'll add a fire mod to.
Fire and explosive quirk are very good for smg leader, assault rifle leader. Much better. But if you already have someone who has fire/explosives quirk, what in my case is my heavy gunner, who uses a rocket and a minigun with an explosion modification then you can do something like this.

Mount any elemental mods to smg or assault rifle and add a few points in weird science. You will then do a lot of damage, ignoring the enemy's armor. Assault rifles to be effective you need to use mark target + precision strike combo with double tap perk. Causes assult rifles to do huge damage on critical hits. I do not have to talk about smg because the stormer perk is a must option.
demeisen wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:10 am There's still something that seems advantageous about the large range of SR's. I didn't have very good crit % on my sniper in my first play, but she was still nice to have around. She seemed to have much better aimed shot %'s for the random effect components like the extra head shot damage, and she was also better at hitting enemies in cover.
Yeah, the only disadvantage is that the mark target perk has its own range, so I do not mount modifications to the sniper rifle, increasing the range more. It's better to put in modifications that increase the chances of a hit. Better for risky shoot ability.

Assault rifles are better to put scope mods and the same for smgs
andremelo_90
Initiate

"I never used Overcharge. Bonus energy/cold/fire sounds great, but that 5% chance of the "weapon blowing up" sounded terrible to me. I don't want to lose a modded weapon one time in 20 that I fire it. Should I reconsider this for any reason?"
Omg, play the game first, then you post here. You don´t lose the weapon. Just google it for fuc*s sake.
LittleSparrow89
Initiate

andremelo_90 wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:54 pm "I never used Overcharge. Bonus energy/cold/fire sounds great, but that 5% chance of the "weapon blowing up" sounded terrible to me. I don't want to lose a modded weapon one time in 20 that I fire it. Should I reconsider this for any reason?"
Omg, play the game first, then you post here. You don´t lose the weapon. Just google it for fuc*s sake.
Lol this is so direct but true. It doesn't blow up the gun it just misfires and does damage to you. That's what they meant by blow up in your face. And to me it rarely ever happened so yeah it's totally worth it

Return to “Wasteland 3: Gameplay Discussion”