[builds] don't overlook stealthy flame throwers

Discuss Wasteland 3 gameplay topics like builds, systems, items, and combat. Please avoid spoilers in subject lines.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

demeisen
Explorer

[builds] don't overlook stealthy flame throwers

Post by demeisen »

Disclaimer: I'm playing through the game "naturally" on Ranger. That is, without metagaming knowledge to rush for good weapons up front or make super min/max builds. This build idea may or may not work out on SJ, I don't know.

It seems like snipers and rocketeers are both natural fits for stealth attacks, but rockets are very expensive and somewhat limited, and snipers are single target. I've been having good results with a sneaky shit flame thrower character. The stealth lets him get close enough to sometimes hit 4-5 enemies at once since it's a wide angle weapon, and with a +25% fire damage perk from Toaster Repair, plus the stealth attack damage, it can be a devastating opener. It's also a fun mini-game in its own right, trying to get to the ideal place to maximize damage while not being detected, and also having an "out" to duck back into cover.

I didn't build the character too well for this, since I didn't plan the tactic up front. I didn't pick a fire damage quirk, and I won't be able to get the L10 sneaky shit +100% damage bonus either, since I invested too much in the wrong skills. But even so handicapped, it's been effective. If I replay on SJ, I think I'll try an improved version of this build.
Drool
Forum Moderator
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for ijw2ib.png

Re: [builds] don't overlook stealthy flame throwers

Post by Drool »

Wow. Points for creativity. That sounds like a lot of fun!
Alwa nasci korliri das.
demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen »

Yep, fun it is. Since movement is real time before entering turn-based combat, you have to time things right to get into the right spot at the right time as patrols move around, which involves analyzing their movement patterns in advance so you can maximize how many enemies will be in the flame arc.

It would be particularly interesting with an ironman type mode I suppose, so you couldn't just savescum if you blew it. And I've blown it a few times, and been detected before getting the attack off.
Rayman
Initiate

Post by Rayman »

Interesting. I guess I can try my flamethrower. Sneaky shit combined with weird science, toaster repair for additional fire dmg, background and quirk should work a lot at SJ level.

Return to “Wasteland 3: Gameplay Discussion”