Should you be able to raise your attributes every level?

Discuss Wasteland 3 gameplay topics like builds, systems, items, and combat. Please avoid spoilers in subject lines.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Phil5000
Initiate

Should you be able to raise your attributes every level?

Post by Phil5000 »

Hey everyone.

I'm well into the game and I think its pretty good, it reminds me of old skool rpgs, except for one thing and that's how easy it is to raise your stats. It just seems too easy. I think you should only be able to raise them say, every three level. Or not raise them at all when you level but you have to find ways to raise your stats through other means, such as equipment or items or people in the world. Maybe you meet a surgeon who can implant an adrenal chip in you to make you more coordinated or something like that. Just a one time thing and it costs a lot.

I'm not very far into it and already I've maxed out one stat on a couple of my characters. It seems too easy. If I play again I might try not raising my stats at all.

What do you think?
Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Should you be able to raise your attributes every level?

Post by Drool »

Considering the game is balanced around those levels, it wouldn't just be a matter of changing the frequency of attribute points.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
BlueSpark
Scholar

Post by BlueSpark »

Drool is right - the entire character progression system is balanced around building up your characters' attribute count at this pace, so completely revising this would be a rather extensive task.

That said, I do agree that gaining them every level doesn't feel great to me. I would've loved a middle ground between Wasteland 2 and 3 - something like 1 attribute point every 4 or 5 levels.
romuch81
Initiate

Post by romuch81 »

In WL2 it was every 10 lvls if I remember right but you got way more skill points every lvl so it was pretty balanced.
In WL3 you get way less skill points so they balanced it with the attributes.
Hopefully in WL4 it will be a balance between 2 and 3, I did like having more skill points.
BlueSpark
Scholar

Post by BlueSpark »

romuch81 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 7:35 am In WL2 it was every 10 lvls if I remember right but you got way more skill points every lvl so it was pretty balanced.
In WL2, a character with an average INT score (4-7) received 3 skill points per level. That's the exact same amount as in WL3.
romuch81
Initiate

Post by romuch81 »

BlueSpark wrote: November 13th, 2020, 8:18 am
romuch81 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 7:35 am In WL2 it was every 10 lvls if I remember right but you got way more skill points every lvl so it was pretty balanced.
In WL2, a character with an average INT score (4-7) received 3 skill points per level. That's the exact same amount as in WL3.
Sure but all my chars in WL2 had 8 or 10 int so 4-5 skill points + I took the delayed gratification quirk on most chars so after lvl 10 I had another skill point, 5-6 skill points per lvl after 10, that gives you x2 more skill points than WS3, by lvl 20 I didn't know what to do with all the skill points so got a secondary weapon skill and could use 2 different weapons.
BlueSpark
Scholar

Post by BlueSpark »

That's up to your individual playstyle, then. I was looking at averages, which are equal in both games. That's why I pointed out your statement as incorrect, especially since you said there were "way less" skill points to gain in WL3.

We could also factor in the number of skills in both games and the number of party members. Both are slightly lower in WL3, so that part of the equations roughly evens out, too.

Return to “Wasteland 3: Gameplay Discussion”