Steam - Linux executable missing

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.
yezu
Initiate
badge image for wl3badge.png

Hi!

I finally found some time to play W3. I'm running on Linux, but Steam keeps downloading and installing the Windows version. I cleared all the caches, disabled SteamPlay, redownloaded the game a couple of times, but no dice. Each time I get the error that the executable is missing.
What can I do?

Thanks for the help!
Dicken_90
Initiate

yezu wrote: April 12th, 2021, 2:17 pm Hi!

I finally found some time to play W3. I'm running on Linux, but Steam keeps downloading and installing the Windows version. I cleared all the caches, disabled SteamPlay, redownloaded the game a couple of times, but no dice. Each time I get the error that the executable is missing.
What can I do?

Thanks for the help!
Hi,

i'm also a Linux user! :) glad not to be alone!

did you check the properties -> compatibility? uncheck "Force the use of a...". I use that to switch between Proton and native Linux version.

best regards.
yezu
Initiate

Dicken_90 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 3:31 am did you check the properties -> compatibility? uncheck "Force the use of a...". I use that to switch between Proton and native Linux version.
I just tried a moment ago and it gets the game to run! Thanks!

To be more precise:
After setting that option the correct version of the game was downloaded. Running the game showed the warning about Steam Play, which is weird, because I'd be launching the native Linux version.
If disabled the forcing compatibility after download, the popup didn't show and everything worked fine. I was able to launch the game and play.

I'm not sure if that is indeed the option that resolved it, or the game got updated. I uninstalled and downloading again without that option and see what happens. Will post once I know for sure.
yezu
Initiate

Ok. So re downloaded the game and it's in its correct form.
So either it's fixed globally or whatever was messed up on my machine is ok now :)

Return to “Wasteland 3: Technical Help”