Vehicles to travel on World Map.

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Geras
Novice

Vehicles to travel on World Map.

Post by Geras » March 6th, 2012, 8:57 am

It would be awesome to have some vehicles you could find and repair. I remember when playing Fallout 2 for the first time I used to check every car to get it's description because I thought that I will find a car that could be repaired and described more or less like that: "It is incredible how this car survived for so long with all the tyres intact. Even the engine looks repairable besides this rat family living under the hood. Sadly, there is no key in the ingtition switch. With some spare parts and a skillful mechanic help this rusty junk could roll again." A player then should look for spare parts in the same, more or less destroyed car models. I wish there were not only normal cars available but also a bus, truck, tow truck, motorcycle...

RangerBen
Global Moderator

Re: Vehicles to travel on World Map.

Post by RangerBen » March 6th, 2012, 9:03 am

For those who never played Wasteland, I feel I must point out how much fun it was to repair the jeep. Yes, you could only use the jeep twice and only to go to fixed places. But wow, that was a neat departure from all that walking. :) And don't forget the helicopter and of course, the rail nomads train to nowhere!

rokahef
Initiate

Post by rokahef » March 6th, 2012, 9:37 am

RangerBen wrote:For those who never played Wasteland, I feel I must point out how much fun it was to repair the jeep. Yes, you could only use the jeep twice and only to go to fixed places. But wow, that was a neat departure from all that walking. :) And don't forget the helicopter and of course, the rail nomads train to nowhere!

Yeah, but I got all excited when I realized I could fix that P.O.S.. Took me bloody ages to find an NPC with enough skills to fix it (I think it was Ace), and then... poof. gone. One of the single most frustrating and amusing moment of the game!
"I used to be an adventurer like you... then my knee exploded like a blood sausage."
- random guard in Wasteland 2

Quarex
Scholar

Post by Quarex » March 6th, 2012, 4:40 pm

I know this is a dumb point, but it is hard to reconcile the ideas of Wasteland/Fallout with the Mad Max inspiration. In the Mad Max movies, the whole point of existence, more or less, was to keep your vehicles running. In Wasteland and Fallout, all vehicles have been utterly destroyed forever, and no-one is capable of fixing them again (except for one specific person, in two of the ~five games). That is a pretty big gap. If you start having multiple vehicles to drive around the game, you start wondering why other people are not driving vehicles too--and if you go that direction, you suddenly are playing RAGE instead of Wasteland 2.

Finster
Initiate

Post by Finster » March 7th, 2012, 4:34 am

I agree. I don't think we need vehicles everywhere. I would like to see the Jeep back though with perhaps the fixed travel points. That was a GREAT achievement in the game to get that running.

Geras
Novice

Post by Geras » March 7th, 2012, 6:43 am

I'm fine with the idea that was used in Fallout 2 that you only use vehicles to travel your team on World Map faster AS it is stated in the topic. I don't want do see and I didn't say anywhere that I think vehicles actually going around inside encounters or towns is a good idea like it was done in case of Fallout Tactics. I would be just cool to have a choice what car I want to repair and drive.

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » March 7th, 2012, 8:29 am

What kind of vehicles? Wasteland 1 was set in 2088, W2 I assume would be shortly after or even much later. I don't think there would be much gasoline available even in W1 let alone W2. What resources are available and the worlds situation would have to make sense.

cdoublejj
Scholar

Post by cdoublejj » March 7th, 2012, 8:35 am

Quarex wrote:I know this is a dumb point, but it is hard to reconcile the ideas of Wasteland/Fallout with the Mad Max inspiration. In the Mad Max movies, the whole point of existence, more or less, was to keep your vehicles running. In Wasteland and Fallout, all vehicles have been utterly destroyed forever, and no-one is capable of fixing them again (except for one specific person, in two of the ~five games). That is a pretty big gap. If you start having multiple vehicles to drive around the game, you start wondering why other people are not driving vehicles too--and if you go that direction, you suddenly are playing RAGE instead of Wasteland 2.

not necessarily vehicles could just be really rare where there are other people using them in limited numbers but, hard or impossible to steal because they are guarded and or require a key FOB like the boat in FO2.

Rage sucks and I want my money back.

EDIT:
Sxerks wrote:What kind of vehicles? Wasteland 1 was set in 2088, W2 I assume would be shortly after or even much later. I don't think there would be much gasoline available even in W1 let alone W2. What resources are available and the worlds situation would have to make sense.
nuclear power batteries or hydroponically grown corn fuel/ethanol, water|hydrogen etc etc

shamroxor
Initiate

Post by shamroxor » March 10th, 2012, 4:13 pm

How about a good ol' push bike? AGL allows you to balance team mates on the saddle and crossbar, DEX and LK determines how long you can stay on without falling off.

Tanglebones
Explorer

Post by Tanglebones » March 10th, 2012, 5:03 pm

I think that perhaps including the hobo train, except the hobos actually have it working and run it between two or thee different sites might be kinda cool.

Crooked Bee
Acolyte

Post by Crooked Bee » March 11th, 2012, 1:11 am

I don't think there should be vehicles *unless* they're very easy to program (I'm no expert on the matter) and the devs have a lot of development time to spare (which is unlikely). I'd rather they focus on more important things.

undecaf
Explorer

Post by undecaf » March 11th, 2012, 7:36 am

Vehicular possibilities for map traveling purposes, sure, why not. Though preferably not being too commonplace an option.

On that note, how do you guys figure - or prefer - they'll implement the maptraveling portion? Fallout/Arcanum waypoints with watching a dot move, or a modern iteration of how it was done in Wasteland with the player being in charge of every step (if I remember correctly, that's how it worked there)?
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

Aeschylus
Novice

Post by Aeschylus » March 11th, 2012, 3:01 pm

mules or brahman? to carry your gear or send your recruitables back to camp ;D
"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Diein" Shawshank Redemption

mbpopolano24
Novice

Post by mbpopolano24 » March 12th, 2012, 5:01 pm

The problem with vehicles in the wasteland is not related to repairing the vehicles themselves, but the lack of proper roads and how noisy and vulnerable they are. Mules or animals are OK.

Also, please no ‘dots’ travelling in the map. Make the world continuous, please. Quick travel is OK, but if I want to run/walk from an extreme to the other of the map I should be able to do so (like in FNV).

wes10
Initiate

Post by wes10 » March 14th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Yup having vehicles would be awesome for getting around a huge world map at middle to latter stages of the game. I would make it so most vehicles you would find are heaping piles of you know what of course. With locating parts and fuel and a mechanic know how you could slowly upgrade your wheels back at ranger center. Mechanic should be a skill. Driving could be a skill.

Matej
Initiate

Post by Matej » March 14th, 2012, 1:43 pm

It would depend on how bad of a shape the post-apocalyptic world is in.
To be honest, I would prefer no vehicles, as they take away from the scale of the game world.
Irony.cc

enderandrew
Scholar

Post by enderandrew » March 14th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Sxerks wrote:What kind of vehicles? Wasteland 1 was set in 2088, W2 I assume would be shortly after or even much later. I don't think there would be much gasoline available even in W1 let alone W2. What resources are available and the worlds situation would have to make sense.
That could be part of the quest requirements, to produce bio-diesel or ethanol.