corrugated metal iswrong

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Raide
Initiate

Re: corrugated metal iswrong

Post by Raide » November 11th, 2013, 7:15 am

Of all the things you could have chosen to make a thread about, you chose Corrugated Metal.

Alright.

Patient Roller
Scholar

Post by Patient Roller » November 11th, 2013, 8:23 am

I have to confess. I just spent 20 minutes googling rusted tin fence, and I can not in good conscience remain silent that I'm coming around to see how the fence could be metal! There is a slight discolouration going on, which might be indicative of rust (although from afar, the colour is still very regular and wooden-looking). IF it is metal, I think a plausible explanation for the downward grooves might be that those are actually the small waves you get on a normal tin fence, and then the fence is bent on itself as well. Like this:

Now, good night ladies and gentlemen. I believe I'll never look at this thread again. Because I'll be busy shooting myself in the head.

cdoublejj
Scholar

Post by cdoublejj » November 11th, 2013, 11:11 am

Raide wrote:Of all the things you could have chosen to make a thread about, you chose Corrugated Metal.

Alright.
'
this ties in to the cartoon graphics, http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... f=7&t=3363

Revolucas wrote:So what? Corrugated metal can't be stylized?
we have had problems with cartoony and different styled community sourced 3d models before, so kind of no.

Patient Roller wrote:It's not that thin, actually, in scale to the rangers' heads. ;-) It's not noticeably thinner than the grey fence in front of it, which is definitely wood. There are also vertical, dark lines on the surface, which could be gaps between different pieces of wood, or just the natural grain the wood has. In either case, that's not a charasteristic that would appear on a tin fence. It doesn't look like rust or dirt to me at all; there are some rusted metal things in the bottom-left corner of the same screenshot, and those look totally different.

Nevermind, the fact it's wavy like that is bothersome anyway. I tried googling for similar applications of wood, but I couldn't find anything really alike. Very mysterial...
see i'm not totally crazy. it is a bit "off"
Patient Roller wrote:I have to confess. I just spent 20 minutes googling rusted tin fence, and I can not in good conscience remain silent that I'm coming around to see how the fence could be metal! There is a slight discolouration going on, which might be indicative of rust (although from afar, the colour is still very regular and wooden-looking). IF it is metal, I think a plausible explanation for the downward grooves might be that those are actually the small waves you get on a normal tin fence, and then the fence is bent on itself as well. Like this:

Now, good night ladies and gentlemen. I believe I'll never look at this thread again. Because I'll be busy shooting myself in the head.
if it drives you that crazy you may never want any thing to do with the developing of videos games either. especially quality control and art/graphics department. :lol:

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 11th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Cartoony is way too subjective as a description.

I don't see Wiley Coyote when looking at that disproportionately sized corrugated sheet.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

cdoublejj
Scholar

Post by cdoublejj » November 12th, 2013, 8:05 am

Woolfe wrote:Cartoony is way too subjective as a description.

I don't see Wiley Coyote when looking at that disproportionately sized corrugated sheet.
read that post i explain in detail why i used that word and put meaning behind it that every one can understand with pictures and words and the works. but, seriously though i do explain some stuff about portions and how things should look and why.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 12th, 2013, 1:58 pm

cdoublejj wrote:
Woolfe wrote:Cartoony is way too subjective as a description.

read that post i explain in detail why i used that word and put meaning behind it that every one can understand with pictures and words and the works. but, seriously though i do explain some stuff about portions and how things should look and why.
Which post? The one you linked to? It doesn't explain cartoony at all? Unless you mean the entire 5 page thread, which I am not going to read through at the moment.... :mrgreen:

Using a word that is wide, open and subjective to put meaning behind something doesn't actually do what you want it to do.

In the "corrugated sheet" example, what makes it "cartoony". Is it just the disproportionate size? Or is there more to it.
(I agree with you by the way, just not the use of the term "cartoony")
It's not too late. Make it Eight!