too much party management

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Aleanthus
Initiate

too much party management

Post by Aleanthus » March 6th, 2012, 1:35 am

Too much Party-Management was the thing that broke Baldurs Gate for me.
Let the player be the hero, not some combined will of several persons. The way it worked in Fallout was perfect.
Dont put the tactics and strategy aspect before the actual rolleplay aspect of the game.

Nark
Novice

Re: too much party management

Post by Nark » March 6th, 2012, 2:33 am

Disagreed. Strategy and party management is a big thing in turn-based games, one of the best things about Jagged Alliance 2 was the freedom you had over your squad of mercs while still retaining a strong role-playing aspect (and I'd add that I would love it if Wasteland 2 took a similar approach, as opposed to classic Wasteland combat). Fallout's system was actually one of the worse things about it, especially considering how bad and unreliable the friendly AI was (I sure loved Ian bursting me in the back, and Vic killing my whole party with a burst just to get the mantis at the end of a line). And plus, Wasteland isn't Fallout, while they are similar: Wasteland has always had a party management system.

Ausir
Scholar

Post by Ausir » March 6th, 2012, 3:48 am

Indeed. Wasteland is not Fallout and should remain a party-based game.

chris
Novice

Post by chris » March 6th, 2012, 3:53 am

I also disagree. There a just too few real party-based games out there.

felipepepe
Initiate

Post by felipepepe » March 6th, 2012, 6:45 am

Exactly, Wasteland was always about party combat. This project seems tio be atracting lot's of people that haven't even played Wasteland, and just think this is going to be a "a real Fallout 3"...
フエフエ

Hombre viejo
Initiate

Post by Hombre viejo » March 6th, 2012, 6:57 am

Nark wrote:Disagreed. Strategy and party management is a big thing in turn-based games, one of the best things about Jagged Alliance 2 was the freedom you had over your squad of mercs while still retaining a strong role-playing aspect (and I'd add that I would love it if Wasteland 2 took a similar approach, as opposed to classic Wasteland combat). Fallout's system was actually one of the worse things about it, especially considering how bad and unreliable the friendly AI was (I sure loved Ian bursting me in the back, and Vic killing my whole party with a burst just to get the mantis at the end of a line). And plus, Wasteland isn't Fallout, while they are similar: Wasteland has always had a party management system.
+ 1 8-)

Flamekebab
Acolyte

Post by Flamekebab » March 6th, 2012, 7:02 am

I disagree also. I installed a mod for New Vegas to get around the silly party-size limit (well, one companion and a dog).

I like when I can have a party of whatever size I choose. Sure, if players want to lone wolf it perhaps that should be allowable, but forcing that upon us does not sound fun to me.

bpstrat
Initiate

Post by bpstrat » March 6th, 2012, 7:12 am

I also disagree. Wasteland needs a party, and all that goes with it, to feel right.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 6th, 2012, 7:18 am

Another disagree vote. The party-based genre is dying out and it shouldn't be. It's unique and tons of fun.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Tanglebones
Explorer

Post by Tanglebones » March 6th, 2012, 7:49 am

I also disagree. I miss being able to strategically manage my party.

ThatDearGuy
Novice

Post by ThatDearGuy » March 6th, 2012, 8:07 am

Aleanthus wrote:Too much Party-Management was the thing that broke Baldurs Gate for me.
'Echo: You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth!' :lol:

On a side note, it's perfectly possible to finish that game and its sequels with a single character. You will get more experience too, as it won't be divided amongst your party members.

TwinkieGorilla
Acolyte

Post by TwinkieGorilla » March 6th, 2012, 8:50 am

As I stated in a different thread I'd prefer for there to be an option for either single or party-based before a new game is started. Not because I don't prefer party-management (I do), but because I'd enjoy playing it both ways. Were a choice between the two necessary, I'd lean to the side of the original.

Lexx
Scholar

Post by Lexx » March 6th, 2012, 9:37 am

I don't think that needs an extra option. Simply allowing the player to create up to 4 players at gamestart should be totally enough. So the player *can* create 4 characters, but he doesn't have to. It's pretty much the same as having a "single or party" option, just that you get more control over it.

Sobboth
Acolyte

Post by Sobboth » March 6th, 2012, 9:47 am

Lexx wrote:I don't think that needs an extra option. Simply allowing the player to create up to 4 players at gamestart should be totally enough. So the player *can* create 4 characters, but he doesn't have to. It's pretty much the same as having a "single or party" option, just that you get more control over it.
Exactly, no need to complicate things.

egalor1
Initiate

Post by egalor1 » March 6th, 2012, 10:03 am

Yeah, please keep the party management and strategic combat.

However, I wouldn't also mind if you'd also invent a way to finish the game with a single character.

Sobboth
Acolyte

Post by Sobboth » March 6th, 2012, 10:13 am

egalor1 wrote:However, I wouldn't also mind if you'd also invent a way to finish the game with a single character.
Recruitable NPC are here for that ;)
Party management is very good in my book.
A great idea almost never seen ( ;) ) is splitting the party.
I would love to see a huge amount of that in Wasteland 2, it's a great concept to play around.

TwinkieGorilla
Acolyte

Post by TwinkieGorilla » March 6th, 2012, 11:12 am

Lexx wrote:I don't think that needs an extra option. Simply allowing the player to create up to 4 players at gamestart should be totally enough. So the player *can* create 4 characters, but he doesn't have to. It's pretty much the same as having a "single or party" option, just that you get more control over it.
Ah, yes. Good point. I didn't even consider that.

MMXI
Initiate

Post by MMXI » March 6th, 2012, 11:24 am

The problem with choosing to create a single character and opting to recruit the rest is that the start of the game, before any companions show up, will have to be balanced for both 1 character and 4 characters (and probably those in between). I'm not sure how this can be done nicely without having to specifically create multiple difficulties for the starting areas (or having to introduce enemy scaling).

I think the best approach would be to just allow the player to pick up to three pre-created companions at the very start of the game so that both the players who want to create four characters themselves AND players who want to play with a single main character can start the same game off with a party of four. Less work for the developers, in my view.

Mulayim
Initiate

Post by Mulayim » March 6th, 2012, 12:11 pm

MMXI wrote:The problem with choosing to create a single character and opting to recruit the rest is that the start of the game, before any companions show up, will have to be balanced for both 1 character and 4 characters (and probably those in between). I'm not sure how this can be done nicely without having to specifically create multiple difficulties for the starting areas (or having to introduce enemy scaling).

I think the best approach would be to just allow the player to pick up to three pre-created companions at the very start of the game so that both the players who want to create four characters themselves AND players who want to play with a single main character can start the same game off with a party of four. Less work for the developers, in my view.
I don't see a problem there. By creating a single character you take a calculated risk. Sure, first few fights will be hard, but if you survive you'll gain a lot more xp and loot. I'm sure we all had done it in Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, etc. It works.

Kilus
Initiate

Post by Kilus » March 6th, 2012, 5:46 pm

MMXI wrote:I think the best approach would be to just allow the player to pick up to three pre-created companions at the very start of the game so that both the players who want to create four characters themselves AND players who want to play with a single main character can start the same game off with a party of four. Less work for the developers, in my view.
In addition to making all the characters from scratch have a pool of say 10 different character builds to start, that you can fully customise and use as part of the party of four if that's how this game goes. Lets people spend as much or as little time making characters as they want.

And have a easy system where someone can make starting builds and share them.