Dialogue, checks visible and what skills.

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Gabriel77Dan
Explorer

Dialogue, checks visible and what skills.

Post by Gabriel77Dan » March 15th, 2012, 5:37 pm

So, what skills should be used for the dialogue?
Persuasion?
Deception?
Barter?
Economy?
Politics?
Speech?
Intimidation?

I like having skills for talking to people, I'm amazed that there are tons of skills for weapons in a lot of games but none or just one or two for talking to people, I mean, it's an RPG, it's dialogue should be just as important as the combat is and also have skills that affect the gameplay revolving combat.

Me?
Persuasion - For persuading NPC's with logic and reason.
Intimidation - For scaring lesser NPC's away so you can avoid fighting rats when you just want to move on and for frightening NPC's in dialogue to do as you say.
Barter - For haggling prices in shops and to get better mission/quest rewards.
Deception - For disguising yourself in enemy faction clothing, smuggling concealed items successfully and lying when confronted by an NPC.

And should there be visible "checks" or not?
Like Fallout 1 and 2 did not show it when a dialogue option was tied in with a skill but Fallout 3 and New Vegas did.
It annoys me when I can see flat out that "Hey, here is a dialogue check! But you can't pick it cause you don't have X in Guns! Better luck next time!"
Cause that means I know that there is a unique dialogue option that can be passed if I have said amount of skill points in Guns.
It ruined the surprise, was way more fun in Fallout 1 and 2 to find out that a dialogue option changed when I had a different skill/stat set.

So how should the dialogue be like if there is any dialogue and what skills should dialogue use?

I think that Wasteland 2 should explore the dialogue as much if not more than the combat, it's a vital part of a successful RPG for me.
And I do not want any hints in the dialogue, that ruins the surprise, so no dialogue checks ala Fallout 3/New Vegas.

[edit]

Hmmm this is in the wrong forum...
Mods! Move this to http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... m.php?f=12

Tenebris
Initiate

Re: Dialogue, checks visible and what skills.

Post by Tenebris » March 15th, 2012, 5:56 pm

I agree about hiding checks but I'd take it further and apply it to all mechanics.

I'd prefer the game to keep its cards close to its chest, so to speak. I don't want to ever be told flat out "You can't do X because Y stat is too low." If I can't do something let me either find out naturally or prevent me from ever seeing the option.

Seeing every option, even those beyond my ability just kills the mystery for me.

The original FO was pretty good in this regard. FO3, while still a good game, kinda gimped the experience by being so transparent about the inner gears of the system.

Reputations is another thing I'd like to be hidden. If I piss off a group I'd rather have them tell me with either words or lead than have some arbitrary stat floating over my head.

Gabriel77Dan
Explorer

Re: Dialogue, checks visible and what skills.

Post by Gabriel77Dan » March 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Tenebris wrote:I agree about hiding checks but I'd take it further and apply it to all mechanics.

I'd prefer the game to keep its cards close to its chest, so to speak. I don't want to ever be told flat out "You can't do X because Y stat is too low." If I can't do something let me either find out naturally or prevent me from ever seeing the option.

Seeing every option, even those beyond my ability just kills the mystery for me.

The original FO was pretty good in this regard. FO3, while still a good game, kinda gimped the experience by being so transparent about the inner gears of the system.

Reputations is another thing I'd like to be hidden. If I piss off a group I'd rather have them tell me with either words or lead than have some arbitrary stat floating over my head.
Ah, forgot about that, I still remember Dead Money DLC for FNV... At the end, in the vault, there is a generator, and with Melee skill, I can hit it... I've never gone into DM with a Melee character but when I do it won't be a suprise anymore.

And yeah, Reputations shouldn't be accessed instantly, but I do think that if you do hang around a faction for a while that your characters should get some sense of feel on what the faction feels towards them.
Like once the Rubbadungers attack you for screwing up their deal with Roj Neremy, then I think that the reputation status could update itself to "hated".

Though I wouldn't mind it if the Reputation system was hidden.
Up to the player to remember who (s)he fucked over and who (s)he helped.