A "No Reloading" option

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

TylerRyan79
Initiate

A "No Reloading" option

Post by TylerRyan79 » March 15th, 2012, 10:19 am

We have all done it at one time or another, maybe we broke our last lockpick, or sold that helm before realizing it had that great enchantment! I don't want to pay $5000 gold because I failed to read the item description! Well guess what, maybe we should!? Or atleast have the "forced" option of not reloading. This way people who want to play the game "true" but may have their weak moments are still forced to play on.

I suggest that we can save whenever, but are limited to loading a save only at the initial startup or on death. Everytime the game is exited it saves your status, so that broken lockpick stays broke. This would be in a gameplay options box before each new game(similar to eschalon book II) and for those who want it they can choose it. Maybe even have a dead is dead option, but my idea here isnt that "hardcore", and is more just for those who want to let the chips fall where they may on everything but death.

Skirge
Scholar

Re: A "No Reloading" option

Post by Skirge » March 15th, 2012, 10:29 am

TylerRyan79 wrote:This way people who want to play the game "true" but may have their weak moments are still forced to play on.
This makes no sense at all. Either you want to play that way or you don't. If you do, don't reload. If not, reload. You already have this option available without the developers spending any time coding, in order to cater to someone's lack of willpower.

Bank12
Initiate

Post by Bank12 » March 15th, 2012, 10:33 am

Skirge wrote:This makes no sense at all. Either you want to play that way or you don't. If you do, don't reload. If not, reload. You already have this option available without the developers spending any time coding, in order to cater to someone's lack of willpower.
And we have a winner.

xbeaker
Initiate

Post by xbeaker » March 15th, 2012, 11:33 am

While I like the idea of a hardcore no-reload mode, Wasteland was the first game I ever used the reload cheat. But it was even better in wasteland, because you could save you game on disk 3, then go re-copy (thus reset) disk 1 and head back and everything in that part of the world would be reset..

I would love to see that option come back as well. I tend to play games on the hardest settings, but on a second play-though, I wand to go back to my youth and make the dead come back to life... with all their weapons for me to scavenge.

Also, if you are going to do a hardcore mode.. do it right. Fallout NV's hardcore was still a joke. I never wanted for water, food or sleep. I never felt in danger of running out of scarce resources.

geezer
Explorer

Post by geezer » March 15th, 2012, 11:45 am

I'm not sure it is worth the developers' time to implement a feature that is only necessary when a person doesn't have enough self-control to not reload. Couldn't you just, I don't know, not reload? It's kind of a strange feature to implement because reloading is not an in-game feature. It is part of the basic game interface. I don't think it would be an easy 'feature' to add and I really don't understand the appeal of it. If you want an extra challenge just turn off the auto-save feature and don't save anywhere. Or maybe just have one save at the very beginning after you've rolled your characters.

Jasede
Novice

Post by Jasede » March 15th, 2012, 12:44 pm

It's not a problem to implement; it takes like no lines of code at all to just have a checkbox that says "Iron Man" mode when you start a new game. When checked, you can't reload and when you die your save is deleted. Simple. Many games have this: TOEE, KOTC, Wizardry 8. There's absolutely no reason not to add this since it's about 5 minutes of work. It'll make a small minority really happy and not affect anyone else.

PrzeSzkoda
Initiate

Post by PrzeSzkoda » March 15th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Jasede wrote:It's not a problem to implement; it takes like no lines of code at all to just have a checkbox that says "Iron Man" mode when you start a new game. When checked, you can't reload and when you die your save is deleted. Simple. Many games have this: TOEE, KOTC, Wizardry 8. There's absolutely no reason not to add this since it's about 5 minutes of work. It'll make a small minority really happy and not affect anyone else.
Agreed. Having the option to play Iron Man is always a plus.

Jack Dandy
Scholar

Post by Jack Dandy » March 15th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I'd really appreciate this option as well.

Darji
Novice

Post by Darji » March 15th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Skirge wrote:
TylerRyan79 wrote:This way people who want to play the game "true" but may have their weak moments are still forced to play on.
This makes no sense at all. Either you want to play that way or you don't. If you do, don't reload. If not, reload. You already have this option available without the developers spending any time coding, in order to cater to someone's lack of willpower.
Actually it is a nice option. Something like Ironman Mode. in JA2 or X-com.

Layle Baker
Novice

Post by Layle Baker » March 15th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Jasede wrote:It's not a problem to implement; it takes like no lines of code at all to just have a checkbox that says "Iron Man" mode when you start a new game. When checked, you can't reload and when you die your save is deleted. Simple. Many games have this: TOEE, KOTC, Wizardry 8. There's absolutely no reason not to add this since it's about 5 minutes of work. It'll make a small minority really happy and not affect anyone else.
Rarely ANYTHING in software development is 5 minutes of work.

Gabriel77Dan
Explorer

Post by Gabriel77Dan » March 15th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Alternatively, learn some self-control and just use one save and accept any and all consequences like the Dead Is Dead players do with Fallout: New Vegas.

I've been doing it lately with my latest character.
Just small things, overhauling how I play instantly just isn't possible for me so I take baby steps.
For my current character in Fallout New Vegas I am not allowed to loot corpses of people I haven't killed, it'd be disrespectful according to my characters beliefs.
I am not allowed to loot things to sell, I can only loot ammo I need for my current weapon setup or I can loot chems (as he's an addict) and weapons/armors to repair his own with.
Other than that: NO LOOTING.
And it's really changed things around, made it harder to get cash, and getting the implants at the Medical Facility? Forget that, they cost like 10K!

I also cannot, at all, fast travel through the map if a quest is around 500 meters or less (roughly).
I have to walk, even if there's nothing along the way and I know it I have to walk.

I am also forcing myself to drink a cola, alcohol, eat some food and read a skill magazine once every day.

So do like me if you can't control yourself: Take baby steps, play an RPG, right now, and force minor limitations onto your character and don't for anything what so ever break said limitations.
After that character make bigger limitations.
Eventually you will likely be able to play Dead Is Dead or "No Reloading" with no problem.

Skirge
Scholar

Post by Skirge » March 15th, 2012, 5:01 pm

Jasede wrote:It's not a problem to implement; it takes like no lines of code at all to just have a checkbox that says "Iron Man" mode when you start a new game. When checked, you can't reload and when you die your save is deleted. Simple. Many games have this: TOEE, KOTC, Wizardry 8. There's absolutely no reason not to add this since it's about 5 minutes of work.
Based on your statement of work that this change request is only 5 minutes of effort and almost no lines of code, you clearly program for a living. What games have you worked on?
Jasede wrote:It'll make a small minority really happy and not affect anyone else.
So, now inXile should be making changes to the game for the minority? That's an interesting approach to making a profitable product.

Quarex
Scholar

Post by Quarex » March 15th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Skirge wrote:So, now inXile should be making changes to the game for the minority? That's an interesting approach to making a profitable product.
To be fair, that is what this whole thing is about in the first place. BUT I still agree, unless it is somehow super-easy to put in an "Ironman" difficulty setting, this is (probably) not something the average person (even amongst those who want to play the game) wants.

The original game allowed you to reload, in the sense that you could always reboot your computer abruptly or quit and hope that the game had not saved since you did whatever thing you did not mean to do.