Manipulator characters

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

ykblaze
Initiate

Manipulator characters

Post by ykblaze »

Hey guy, I personaly have never played Wastland(though I play F1&2 since I was 8 lol) so don't slaughter me if it already exists.

Anyway my idea is that there should be a manipulative character(s).
Picture yourself a village that you want to save from raiders, Your intentions are good and all you want is people there to live in peace. Suddenly a charismatic NPC tells you ways to save the village and you think he's on your side so you listen to him.
The charismatic NPC tells you that in order to save the village you have to:
-Kill X
-Kill Y
-Supply the village with weapons from Z

So you think he has a point and so you do what he has.
Turns out that X Y were the NPC's rivals and he wanted them to die in order to take over the city and become its new ruler.
You gave him weapons and so now he is in full control of the village.

This kind of options makes the player to be more skeptic, it forces him to study and learn about what he's about to do, instead of blindly following whoever seems to be a good guy.

What do you think guys?
TheRabbitsGeorge
Initiate

Re: Manipulator characters

Post by TheRabbitsGeorge »

Morally gray/deceptive characters are a must, I think. Too often games telegraph everything to the player, it's so obvious whether NPC's are good or bad that it feels less like role playing and more like going through the motions.

I love the idea of being lied to in a game, since it's so RARE. It's odd that I have the option to lie so often in dialogue trees, but for the most part I am never lied to in a cRPG. And if I am lied to, it is always so blatantly obvious with use of 800 elipses and terrible voice acting.

"No...i haven't heard of anything like that...anything at all. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm very busy...I have a...rather terrible rash! Yeah that's it, an infectious rash. Oh my it is spreading...spreading like the legs of a lonely housewife! Yes yes, you must leave, i need to get my ointment!"

Always so easy to tell the lies from the truth. Who has ointment in the wasteland? ;)
ykblaze
Initiate

Post by ykblaze »

TheRabbitsGeorge wrote:Morally gray/deceptive characters are a must, I think. Too often games telegraph everything to the player, it's so obvious whether NPC's are good or bad that it feels less like role playing and more like going through the motions.

I love the idea of being lied to in a game, since it's so RARE. It's odd that I have the option to lie so often in dialogue trees, but for the most part I am never lied to in a cRPG. And if I am lied to, it is always so blatantly obvious with use of 800 elipses and terrible voice acting.

"No...i haven't heard of anything like that...anything at all. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm very busy...I have a...rather terrible rash! Yeah that's it, an infectious rash. Oh my it is spreading...spreading like the legs of a lonely housewife! Yes yes, you must leave, i need to get my ointment!"

Always so easy to tell the lies from the truth. Who has ointment in the wasteland? ;)
Thanks for commenting.
Rare? I never actually been lied to in a game(like you pointed out, a believable lie).
I also think that in the begining of the game you should be deceived so it won't get you completly surprised...
danvolodar
Initiate

Post by danvolodar »

ykblaze wrote: Thanks for commenting.
Rare? I never actually been lied to in a game(like you pointed out, a believable lie).
I also think that in the begining of the game you should be deceived so it won't get you completly surprised...
Uh, what was the last phrase written on your back when you woke up in Mortuary?
Also, have you played the first Dragon Age? Being lied to is integral to most if not all starting paths...
ykblaze
Initiate

Post by ykblaze »

danvolodar wrote: Also, have you played the first Dragon Age? Being lied to is integral to most if not all starting paths...

Hmm nope, never played it, though I haven't seen it in these kind of games..
I still think it should be a feature.
sadisti
Novice

Post by sadisti »

danvolodar wrote:
ykblaze wrote: Thanks for commenting.
Uh, what was the last phrase written on your back when you woke up in Mortuary?
Also, have you played the first Dragon Age? Being lied to is integral to most if not all starting paths...
The problem with Dragon Age is that you see through the lies pretty easily so they aren't there to deceive you, just to establish the character of the person lying to you.
danvolodar
Initiate

Post by danvolodar »

ykblaze wrote: Hmm nope, never played it, though I haven't seen it in these kind of games..
I still think it should be a feature.
I highly recommend playing both Planescape: Torment and Dragon Age 1. One is a golden standard of RPG, the other the last non-FPSed party RPG that is relatively good.

sadisti wrote: The problem with Dragon Age is that you see through the lies pretty easily so they aren't there to deceive you, just to establish the character of the person lying to you.
So, in the mage path, you immediately saw that the rat you met during the Harrowing was a Pride demon? That Martin was indeed a blood mage? You're much better at discerning lies than me, then.

Return to “Wasteland 2: General Discussion”