NEW GEN MUSIC

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Wanderer
Scholar

Re: NEW GEN MUSIC

Post by Wanderer » March 15th, 2012, 5:42 am

We should just let Mark Morgan do his work. It will be amazing.

hiptanaka
Scholar

Post by hiptanaka » March 15th, 2012, 5:43 am

Music should be used to set the tone.

Punk and Metal in Wasteland? Please no.
Wanderer wrote:We should just let Mark Morgan do his work. It will be amazing.
Agreed. :)

Bonecrusher
Acolyte

Post by Bonecrusher » March 15th, 2012, 5:47 am

I wonder if you really read the OP?
He meant those songs can be played in "radios".

and a radio is a something like this:

why there shouldn't be punk or metal in wasteland?

and do you want radio songs also made by Mark Morgan, or you misunderstood the idea with "background music"?

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 15th, 2012, 5:49 am

When I think of 80s music that got me into post-apoc genre I think of thrash metal. Metallica, Megadeth, and Salyer! :D I grew up on thrash metal and love that stuff, 80s were the golden age for it! Ah, those were the days. If you don't like thrash metal you should at least respect it. Try playing Take No Prisoners by Megadeth from the Rust In Peace album. Here's the best youtube cover I ever found. http://youtu.be/wDUSa2igAtQ I love metal and especially Thrash because it actually takes a lot of practice and effort to play. It may look like a crazy finger spurge but just like most music with other instruments it's timed. You gotta keep a perfect speed and most people just can't play fast enough. You have to get damn good to play faster than you should. One way to really get a thrash song down to perfection is try to play it at a fast tempo once you get it down. Then playing it correctly at a slow speed tends to become a tad easier. Then another weird thing I noticed... some riffs I blaze through I have difficulty breaking down slowly... it's all muscle memory now, it gets a mind of it's own. It's pretty intense stuff and gets the blood pumping. Anyway... I think I got a little side tracked... TL:DR I like music a lot, especially the fast passed complex stuff :D

EDIT: PLease stop mentioning Mark Morgan in my thread unless it's actually relevant to the idea I'm proposing. It's derailing the discussion. IE I'm looking forward to his tracks as much as you are but I don't want it to be the only musical sounds in the wasteland. Wastelander's can make their own music or listen to music from the past.
Last edited by falloutgod13 on March 15th, 2012, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They finally shoved you in the box they could never fit you in, an empty cell forever locked. So much for best intentions, but some will load the gun and some will hone the knife. Some will raise the fist as they recall your life."

hiptanaka
Scholar

Post by hiptanaka » March 15th, 2012, 5:51 am

Sorry, I misunderstood. I just freaked out at the idea of Cool Metal™ playing when I'm exploring the wasteland.

If I find an old cassette tape with some 80s music on it, sure.

PS. I love Megadeth, too.

ykblaze
Initiate

Post by ykblaze » March 15th, 2012, 6:00 am

Don't forget that getting songs like Iron Maidon would cost a lot of the low budget this game has....so no.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 15th, 2012, 6:08 am

Well it's an idea, I'm still fiddling around with making this out to be a charity case. But there hasn't been a strong enough response supporting it so it would be too soon to go asking bands to see if they would contribute. Also it would be nice be to know how the devs feel about it. If the fans want to see the immersion of performing musical arts in the game maybe the devs will decide they could roll with that idea. Then the challenge would be to find bands that would want to contribute something that wastelandeseque. Bloodlines managed to find a lotta bands to contribute and it wasn't a big budget game all things considered. Bands like Genitortures were probably just happy to have exposure in video game media. Which btw, pretty awesome band, freaky fun shows.
"They finally shoved you in the box they could never fit you in, an empty cell forever locked. So much for best intentions, but some will load the gun and some will hone the knife. Some will raise the fist as they recall your life."

Wanderer
Scholar

Post by Wanderer » March 15th, 2012, 6:15 am

Although I've been listening to rock and metal since 1990s, I'm not sure if this musical genre would fit, because we don't know much about Wasteland 2 yet. Of course, it's set in post-apocalypse, but whether it'll be retro-futuristic or with plenty of sci-fi and cyberpunk elements, that's something we don't know yet. Also, whether art style will be very dark and gritty, or more colourful, etc. The problem is that we just can't see the whole picture yet.
Only thing that we know for sure is that Mark Morgan is a composer and that his contribution is most likely gonna be phenomenal.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 15th, 2012, 6:29 am

I agree, but I just think music of any kind would breathe life into small wasteland communities. Maybe it's because I'm a musician but I just can't picture a world devoid of art and music. I don't want JUST metal. In FACT I would prefer MANY different genres of music as long as it fits the setting. Mark does great ambient environmental music on a macro level, I agree with that. The thing is, on a micro level the communities should not be devoid of art and music, which are big forms of entertainment and expression. I'm sure the aesthetics of dress along with buildings and structures will fall under physical art but too many games ignore musical art. Musical art, especially if it's unique to a community can be really immersive. So I could see how different genres of music would fit different communities better than others. Say you walk into a gritty raiders bar you'd expect punk rock and metal. Then you go into a more cultured settlement with refined society and maybe expect pop music or something classical playing int heir entertainment venues.

Wanderer
Scholar

Post by Wanderer » March 15th, 2012, 6:39 am

falloutgod13 wrote:I agree, but I just think music of any kind would breathe life into small wasteland communities. Maybe it's because I'm a musician but I just can't picture a world devoid of art and music. I don't want JUST metal. In FACT I would prefer MANY different genres of music as long as it fits the setting. Mark does great ambient environmental music on a macro level, I agree with that. The thing is, on a micro level the communities should not be devoid of art and music, which are big forms of entertainment and expression. I'm sure the aesthetics of dress along with buildings and structures will fall under physical art but too many games ignore musical art. Musical art, especially if it's unique to a community can be really immersive. So I could see how different genres of music would fit different communities better than others. Say you walk into a gritty raiders bar you'd expect punk rock and metal. Then you go into a more cultured settlement with refined society and maybe expect pop music or something classical playing int heir entertainment venues.
Being a musician, too, I'd like to hear as much diverse music as possible. If it could fit perfectly, like music in Bloodlines, that would be amazing. But we'll have to wait to be able to discuss about this more thoroughly.
So far, so good. Very good indeed.

Baltinator
Initiate

Post by Baltinator » March 15th, 2012, 6:46 am

As unlikely as it would be to have it in the game

I'd feel that some Kashmir from Led Zeppelin would be a good song for a CD in this game

Wanderer
Scholar

Post by Wanderer » March 15th, 2012, 6:59 am

OK, just one example :)
...After you've entered the biker gang bar in the middle of wasteland, this song started playing on the radio... 8-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k0aiI1_m14

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 15th, 2012, 7:03 am

Wanderer wrote:OK, just one example :)
...After you've entered the biker gang bar in the middle of wasteland, this song started playing on the radio... 8-)
:D nice pick :D

fixT
Initiate

Post by fixT » March 15th, 2012, 11:09 am

Where is the dislike button?

Bonecrusher
Acolyte

Post by Bonecrusher » March 15th, 2012, 11:31 am

Wanderer wrote:OK, just one example :)
what about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vokWATXaru8

Sub-Human
Explorer

Post by Sub-Human » March 15th, 2012, 11:33 am

I'd certainly love some 80s music to be in here. And not necessarily metal but pop hits, like in Vice City. :)

Gaelen
Initiate

Post by Gaelen » March 15th, 2012, 11:44 am

I don't know, I would prefer more ambient music like Fallout 1 and 2. I want the music to convey the feeling of loneliness and desolation of the post apocalyptic Wasteland. If they are going for an 80's theme, then it would make sense to hear 80's music when your party enter's a bar with a jukebox or a band, but I would find it distracting when I'm out exploring the world. I also appreciate the quiet moments in Fallout 1 and 2 when there is no music playing. But, that's just my opinion.

Workbench
Acolyte

Post by Workbench » March 15th, 2012, 11:50 am

If you want this then simply turn off the music ingame and turn up winamp.

I will gladly let the artists decide what music and when, if at all, should be playing along to their designs.
Guru Meditation

Jasede
Novice

Post by Jasede » March 15th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Are there no moderators in this forum? Why is that guy allowed to make one troll topic and post after the next? This kind of music is a sure fire way to ruin the entire atmosphere and tone of Wasteland and Fallout. I praise Deity that most of these bogus ideas will just be ignored.

Wanderer
Scholar

Post by Wanderer » March 15th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Jasede wrote:Are there no moderators in this forum? Why is that guy allowed to make one troll topic and post after the next? This kind of music is a sure fire way to ruin the entire atmosphere and tone of Wasteland and Fallout. I praise Deity that most of these bogus ideas will just be ignored.
Maybe you should try to report him for expressing his opinion. And me. And everybody else on this topic.