NEW GEN MUSIC

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

falloutgod13
Explorer

NEW GEN MUSIC

Post by falloutgod13 » March 14th, 2012, 5:41 pm

One thing about fallout is that it was a different time line/setting and era. So I'd like to see some punk rock, electro, industrial, and metal! If you're going to have like radio stations and such or even for bars, should be some live bands or something. There's a bunch of bands that would love to get in the game and get their name out there more, even if just like background music or ambiance for settings as was in Vampire Bloodlines. EDIT: To clarify music as in live performances(who says music ends when civilization goes? was around before it anyway) or radios/cds/cassette players. So for localized ambiance, not across the whole wasteland. It would be weird listening to a disembodied band while traveling across sand unless you have a radio on you or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAs_BT-qPeU Toxic Holocaust - Lord of the Wasteland

"we got the ultra-violent force, take what we need without remorse"

http://youtu.be/EApnhO2OIrw Trivium -Shogun - Down From The Sky

"I've opened up my eyes
Seen the world for what it's worth
Tears rain down from the sky
They'll blow it all to bits
To prove whose god wields all the power
Fire rains down from the sky"

http://youtu.be/mJuo7vFK5Lk Combichrist - Sent to Destroy

"Nuclear war, behind glass walls
We long for the storm, we stray from our path
Feel the walls, closing in
Chasing our tails, feeding our wrath"

Just a few examples of how awesome and fitting some music can be for the game. What you guys think?
Last edited by falloutgod13 on March 14th, 2012, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They finally shoved you in the box they could never fit you in, an empty cell forever locked. So much for best intentions, but some will load the gun and some will hone the knife. Some will raise the fist as they recall your life."

enderandrew
Scholar

Re: NEW GEN MUSIC

Post by enderandrew » March 14th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Fallout was meant to be a PA setting as envisioned by people living in the 50s. Wasteland is not. So don't expect period music like Fallout.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 14th, 2012, 6:09 pm

enderandrew wrote:Fallout was meant to be a PA setting as envisioned by people living in the 50s. Wasteland is not. So don't expect period music like Fallout.

Well I'm not, I'm just saying some actual contemporary music that fits the setting would be nice! Could have something to do with the fact that I play guitar but I support this idea :D

EDIT: You do realize you basically said what I was saying at the start of my post? I just got sidetracked. I wanna go into a bar and if there's a radio on I wanna rock out to some Toxic Holocaust or something! :D While get trashed with a bunch of dirty raiders!
"They finally shoved you in the box they could never fit you in, an empty cell forever locked. So much for best intentions, but some will load the gun and some will hone the knife. Some will raise the fist as they recall your life."

Cruxador
Novice

Post by Cruxador » March 14th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Good idea, if we get enough kickstarter money maybe they can even license songs by Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber!

That is sarcasm, for people who couldn't tell. In all seriousness, I agree that we don't need to have a time period restriction. But metal sucks for ambient music. Mark Morgan made good music for Fallout, I'd like to see more like that. Maybe he could branch out some. Folk and classical guitar would be cool, especially in places where you'd be likely to see people playing their guitars in the game. I'm sure there are other things we can do too. But I don't think metal fits well.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 14th, 2012, 8:28 pm

I didn't mean all around ambient music, I love Mark. I definitely wanna hear his music throughout the game. But I don't expect him to come on the radio in a bar inside the game. That's what I meant by location ambiance but you'd know that if you played the game I mentioned. Anyway, phuck licening people, the way I see it some bands might even wanna support the game money wise and not just musically. *shrug* Also, I liked the music for quake 2 and it was mostly thrash metal that Sascha spun on a keyboard with synths. It's also revered by many as one of the best game music tracks ever made. Way better than that NIN BS IMHO.

geezer
Explorer

Post by geezer » March 14th, 2012, 8:36 pm

I don't think having a bit of non-Morgan radio music in a bar is such a terrible idea, but I don't really think it's a good use of our money. Maybe if you could get unsigned bands who would contribute music for free for the exposure. I think the music is already getting more than its share of the budget already with the hiring of a famous composer like Mark. And I think it's also a little early to be discussing such frosting on the cake issues.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 14th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Yeah, it might be something us musically inclined fans could try to get for the game if other people think it's a good idea. I completely agree that funding is limited and the more we can get for free to support the game the better off it will be. Not to mention even a small unsigned band supporting the game could bring in further donation from their fans.

hellboy1975
Novice

Post by hellboy1975 » March 14th, 2012, 8:45 pm

To be honest, I'll be more inclined to turn any music off completely or listen to my own. In a top down or isometric game, I don't really feel music adds much to the immersion.

Grun7y
Initiate

Post by Grun7y » March 14th, 2012, 9:01 pm

I really enjoyed the old school 50's music in Fallout.

geezer
Explorer

Post by geezer » March 14th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Did Fallout have 50s music? It really has been a long time since I've played it.

enderandrew
Scholar

Post by enderandrew » March 14th, 2012, 9:43 pm

geezer wrote:Did Fallout have 50s music? It really has been a long time since I've played it.
Not during the whole game, but in the main menu, intro, end credits, etc.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 14th, 2012, 9:50 pm

enderandrew wrote:
geezer wrote:Did Fallout have 50s music? It really has been a long time since I've played it.
Not during the whole game, but in the main menu, intro, end credits, etc.
I think my personal favorite was Louis Armstrong's a kiss to build a dream on.

Cruxador
Novice

Post by Cruxador » March 14th, 2012, 10:36 pm

hellboy1975 wrote:To be honest, I'll be more inclined to turn any music off completely or listen to my own. In a top down or isometric game, I don't really feel music adds much to the immersion.
Depends on the music, but I can only think of one game where the music really added a whole ton. And it uses classical music which is all in the public domain.

Vryheid
Explorer

Post by Vryheid » March 14th, 2012, 11:06 pm

While I like the music you posted, I don't think they'd serve as effective ambient music in an open world RPG. I also don't think they could really contribute to the the overall feeling of isolation and uncertainty which was a trademark of Wasteland. There's something magical about the desolate, haunting sensation of the original tracks in Fallout 1 and 2, for example, that allowed them to trickle in the background but build on the overall presentation the developers were trying to create. Wasteland should build on this concept, but add a little more intensity to the music and throw in some 80's inspired techno or guitar riffs. Decaying technology and the omnipresent corruption are big themes in this game, and the music should reflect this.

These two excellent tracks are fairly accurate representations from existing games of what I'm imagining here. Of course, the developers may decide to throw us a curve ball and completely switch the overall atmosphere of the environment and music in the sequel, but if they DID happen to use something similar to what's described above I'd be very satisfied with the result.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 14th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Vryheid wrote:While I like the music you posted, I don't think they'd serve as effective ambient music in an open world RPG. I also don't think they could really contribute to the the overall feeling of isolation and uncertainty which was a trademark of Wasteland. There's something magical about the desolate, haunting sensation of the original tracks in Fallout 1 and 2, for example, that allowed them to trickle in the background but build on the overall presentation the developers were trying to create. Wasteland should build on this concept, but add a little more intensity to the music and throw in some 80's inspired techno or guitar riffs. Decaying technology and the omnipresent corruption are big themes in this game, and the music should reflect this.

These two excellent tracks are fairly accurate representations from existing games of what I'm imagining here. Of course, the developers may decide to throw us a curve ball and completely switch the overall atmosphere of the environment and music in the sequel, but if they DID happen to use something similar to what's described above I'd be very satisfied with the result.
Maybe you should read the topic before contributing. Cause you missed the point. I'm talking about live music or in radios or cd/cassette players. :S

Namfoodle
Initiate

Post by Namfoodle » March 15th, 2012, 1:16 am

Vryheid wrote:While I like the music you posted, I don't think they'd serve as effective ambient music in an open world RPG. I also don't think they could really contribute to the the overall feeling of isolation and uncertainty which was a trademark of Wasteland. There's something magical about the desolate, haunting sensation of the original tracks in Fallout 1 and 2, for example, that allowed them to trickle in the background but build on the overall presentation the developers were trying to create. Wasteland should build on this concept, but add a little more intensity to the music and throw in some 80's inspired techno or guitar riffs. Decaying technology and the omnipresent corruption are big themes in this game, and the music should reflect this.

This is how it should be.

I would hate for songs like suggested in the first post to appear in the game. Anything with lyrics or something that aggressive would take you out of the game and I don't think they're fitting at all. Also people's music tastes are too different to do this (except for most of our love for Mark Morgan), I hate Trivium and wouldn't like anything like that in this game. I don't think think that the players need to hear what the character's have on their cassette players, Fallout didn't do this, it only had 50's music on the intro etc.

falloutgod13
Explorer

Post by falloutgod13 » March 15th, 2012, 5:04 am

Musical taste is subjective but certain genres cater to the post-apoc setting more than others. You certainly wouldn't find Lady Gaga singing about war and nuclear bombs. I don't think music and especially live music would die if the world falls apart. Music and singing was around before there was civilization, before writing and math. Do you think people just sat around all day hunting and farming and never did anything to entertain themselves? If you're going to hate on one of the earliest forms of human expression and entertainment then perhaps your should renounce technology so you could go live with the Amish. Just an Idea, they don't like music and I hate them for it!... Course you know, they kinda tell me I'll go to hell in that silent stare they give me. Anyway, I digress, my point being that it doesn't make sense in a post-apoc world where these small communities would not have live music or at least old pre-war music to jam out too. I'd also wager they would gravitate to music which they can relate to, music about violence and survival of the fittest, music that speaks of their bleak past and present.

Here's a promo from Hardware, good post-apoc film btw. Lemmy makes an appearance in as a Taxi driver. The band he asks people to check out is obviously Motorhead. :D One other band makes a cameo on the TV in the movie, GWAR. http://youtu.be/B4IBvH64cVQ Oops and don't forget Iggy Pop folks http://youtu.be/1-9qxUy1cDY

burrahobbit
Initiate

Post by burrahobbit » March 15th, 2012, 5:23 am

I don't know, if I lived in a post apocalyptic s---hole I figure I'd like to hear something to cheer me up rather than something bleak and desolate. Besides, people would still sortof enjoy the same styles of music I guess, so when you go to a bar, a place that will most likely be playing what most of the people wants to hear, you'd be more likely to encounter pop or rock or whatever than metal.

But going to the subject of the thread itself, I think no non-ambient music should be used ingame, maybe have a song but only for the title screen or so.

ykblaze
Initiate

Post by ykblaze » March 15th, 2012, 5:25 am

I love punk, rock, Metal etc...
But for the love of god, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE GAME.
This would completly ruin the game's mood.

Bonecrusher
Acolyte

Post by Bonecrusher » March 15th, 2012, 5:27 am

I can see what OP meant in this topic.
Although I also see most of the posters thought "these musics will put as ambience on the background".
Radios with 50s songs in Fallout 3/NV was a good feature. Shortage of the songs could be boring after tenth loop of the same song, however still an interesting feature.

I think the given examples, Toxic Holocaust and Trivium is not suitable for Wasteland 2.
This may be because I don't like trash metal/metal core/black metal, you can call me prejudiced in that part :P
Industrial Metal songs (I love Sonic Mayhem songs in Quake 2, as some other IM bands as well) can be used in disco/club places (if there are any) similar to the disco scenes of Bloodlines game.

However I would really like to listen 80's synth pop / heavy metal played in the radios that we come across in homes, bars or similar places. In Fallout 3, Pipboy had an option to listen radio, however I were prefering listening those song whenever I go to a bar. I was sitting near the radio and enjoying the chitchat in that bar.

What kind of music can be used in Wasteland 2, for example iron maiden - run to the hills, pet shop boys - always on my mind, george thorogood - bad to the bone, alphaville - big in japan, tears for fears - shout, billy idol - rebel yell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHLdg_VNww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDe60CbIagg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AozJBa3Q-1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yUN1Ub5V6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54IN3URGuM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdphvuyaV_I

In my opinion, the metallic tone of synthesizer and atmosphere of 80s songs would suit Wasteland 2 perfectly.
I would definitely wish to see songs like these.

However, the problem is even paying copyrights of these songs can be problem thinking the budget of the game.
May be, if there a chance for coming to an agreement with Billy Idol, can be very good opportunity for the songs played in radios.
Billy Idol has an album called "Cyberpunk" with a song "Wasteland"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKA1rV5iaw
Last edited by Bonecrusher on March 15th, 2012, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.