Specialized XP or skill advancement

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Hiver
Adventurer

Specialized XP or skill advancement

Post by Hiver » March 13th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Ill post this as a separate thread not to dilute other similar one about no Xp awarded for killing.

Its a very basic suggestion.

I would like to see a system where gained XP or skill points - whatever the game ends up using - will be limited to improve only responding specific skills.
So if you deal with a situation through direct combat the Xp/skill points you get are limited to only directly related skills, whether specific weapons or other such skills. And you cannot use it to increase lockpicking or science or speech or whatever else is there.

Those other skills would then simply force players to deal with the situation in a different manner and those points could not be used to raise combat skills in turn.

So your play style would directly influence which skills you advance and how your character ultimately develops.

Always wanted to see this in my RPGs so im just putting it out there... here.

Lirpakkaa
Scholar

Re: Specialized XP or skill advancement

Post by Lirpakkaa » March 13th, 2012, 11:02 pm

I don't really like it because it kinda forces you to play the same style all game long. For example if you've only invested in combat skills initially, you'll have to deal with things with fighthing and then you can't ever branch out because your other skills are too weak to manage along, so they'll never improve while your combat gets better and better all the time.

I'd rather be able to adjust my build mid-game a bit more to suit the style I feel like doing at the time.

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » March 14th, 2012, 2:09 am

Not true at all. You can always decide to deal with a quest or situation in a different manner and basically get those specific skills upgraded.

What it does the most is prevents doing things one way and then spending Xp on totally different skills that had nothing to do with it at all. Silly, stupid things like increasing speech, science, repair or lockpicking with XP gained from combat or the opposite.

You do get to adjust your own build - by actual gameplay instead of magical points being thrown around.
Without any bad balancing or grinding of improve by use systems.

Sticks
Initiate

Post by Sticks » March 14th, 2012, 5:21 am

Gotta agree with Lirpakkaa. Limiting exp to how you earned it limits your playstyle to things you're already at least kind of good at. You have to be able to be successful at something to gain exp from it and for it.

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » March 14th, 2012, 6:56 am

No you dont.
If you think you want to handle some situation differently just go and deal with it differently!

That only happens if you intentionally design it that way and thats not the point.
The point IS that if you go in guns blazing and shoot kill everyone YOU DONT GET TO UPGRADE SCIENCE WITH IT!!!
BECAUSE YOU DIDNT USE IT!!

:evil:

The way it works usually is just disingenuous, fake, lame and simple pondering to weak gameplay design where a player can do anything and get away with it.

This way, my way, you have a choice and immediate and quite natural, reasonable consequence to it.
This system is not restricting you in any way, except in what should be common sense.

But you guys just got used to easy way too much and this scares you.
And it shouldn't!

Its only a matter if the game provides enough situations where you can use different skills enough.
There is training and trainers... for a bloody example, you know?
And you are controlling a group of people too!

Triple Omega
Initiate

Post by Triple Omega » March 14th, 2012, 9:08 am

@Hiver:
I think you are missing their point. They are suggesting that a low level skill will not be able to handle higher level events, thus forcing you to use the skills you've specialized in already. So you will not be able to naturally branch off into new skills and will instead have to use artificial methods such as trainers.

I understand and agree with your argument of characters upgrading skills by doing something completely different being unrealistic. However, making it significantly harder to branch off is not acceptable either.
One possible solution would be to make the use of trainers or training facilities commonplace. Instead of relying solely on events and quests to increase skill, using money to increase skill would be standard. That way, branching off into new skills wouldn't feel unnatural.

Anyone have any other suggestions to solve this?

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » March 14th, 2012, 10:02 am

No, Triple Omega it is guys like that that are missing the point entirely.
This does not prevent you from doing a quest in any way that the usual setup doesnt.

If a certain high level quest (for example) needs a ... science (whatever) skill of 100 points you still cannot do it in a ordinary game if you havent invested that much in science! And its really doubtful that you could have saved so much XP, on the side because other advanced areas, enemies and quests demanded that you raise your primary skills ANYWAY.
(talking about levels of skills and points of fallout level)

- unless of course the enemies constantly respawn so players can endlessly grind away getting more and more free XP, which im pretty sure is not what most of us want.

If you spent a majority of the game doing combat then there is no sane reason why you should be able to suddenly raise the science skill so much in order to complete that high level quest in that other way!

It may be true for later on in the game but usually you cannot reach those levels that are required ANYWAY!
If you want to branch out - then you do it more or less from the start and go through smaller demanding quests, work with trainers and do whatever would result in increasing that other skill.
If you want to sneak somewhere then you would be using and investing in sneak from the start and doing quests in those ways you prefer ANYWAY.

And you can always go back and do simpler stuff to improve other skills because you havent done it before.

Its not like this is a game that has or will have level scaling which would just remove all that additional content you skipped previously. Sure, some quests will be solved. So What? They would be solved in one way or the other - anyway.

To me its like asking to be able to change levels any time in the game.
I mean... cmonn... thats not what we are here for.