How to edit Npc Compaions clothes without causing bugs

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Grizwald714
Initiate

How to edit Npc Compaions clothes without causing bugs

Post by Grizwald714 » July 31st, 2018, 2:42 pm

So I am trying to edit the way my companion look in the save file mainly there upper torso, height or hair however when I do everything seems to be fine when I load the new save I can change areas and nothing is wrong everything appears how it should with the edits. But when I restart the game and load any save file one of my Rangers Base charector bodes always the same one (my 3rd ranger who is a female) disappears so no head or hands all there clothes are still on but there is no base charecter model anymore. I can’t figure what the problem is I checked the new save files and her head and body models are still listed in the save file so I know they weren’t accidentally deleted. and it only effects the edited save file and any saves after the edit. I have tried just changing there listed torso as well as then adding the correct slot number and I also tried to add the torso I want in there equipped items were there guns are listed and all seem to work fine when first loaded but after I save and reload it is always the same bug on the same ranger. I am using notepad with xml plug in to edit the save files. If anyone knows a way to edit the way companions look without causing this bug please let me know or how to stop the bug from happening. Also is there anyway to just edit the Compaions in the base game files so I wouldn’t have to edit save files I tried to look for them but wasn’t able to find them anywhere to edit. I am laying the directors cut version if that matters.
Thanks for the help

Gillsing
Scholar

Re: How to edit Npc Compaions clothes without causing bugs

Post by Gillsing » July 31st, 2018, 3:28 pm

I don't know how well notepad with xml plugin works, and I don't even have that option in Linux, so I used Sublime Text instead, which works quite well. As for your bug, are you sure the options you've chosen for your 3rd Ranger are spelled correctly and also work in general for Rangers? There is some stuff that only seem to work for some NPCs (Children of the Cathedral stuff according to the list I once made). Possibly because those NPCs didn't receive model updates with the Director's Cut (assuming that's the version you're playing).

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » July 31st, 2018, 3:55 pm

Some items are gender specific, but give my editor a try over in the Community Content forum.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Grizwald714
Initiate

Post by Grizwald714 » July 31st, 2018, 5:30 pm

Thanks I was able to get it to work the the editor.