Charisma in the dialogues.

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Uster
Initiate

Charisma in the dialogues.

Post by Uster » December 8th, 2017, 11:59 pm

How does the Charisma affect dialogues?
Form the Charisma description: "People will react more favorably to a Ranger with high charisma, and might talk about things they would have otherwise kept to themselves."
If charisma does open up more dialogue options, does it matter if I start the conversation with the charismatic character? Or I just need a character with good Charisma just be in my party (like for Trade)? Or I need good total party's Charisma for more dialogue options (like I need good total Charisma for recruiting some characters like Scotchmo, Pizepi Joren, etc.)?
Last edited by Uster on December 10th, 2017, 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gillsing
Scholar

Re: Charisma in the dialogues.

Post by Gillsing » December 9th, 2017, 12:28 am

I would assume that special stuff like that can use whichever special rules the developers cared to use when they designed the NPCs. I've had a particular encounter where my Charisma 10 ranger supposedly passed a Charisma check, but since this is the General Discussion with no spoilers, I'll withhold the details. But I suppose that one could try to pass that same check with a Charisma 1 Ranger to see if it works with having the Charisma 10 Ranger just being on the team. Too late for me though, until I replay the game.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » December 9th, 2017, 5:45 am

I don't know for sure if it's the individual ranger's charisma or the party's charisma, but my guess is almost certainly the latter. Anyway, NPCs offer an additional benefit when your charisma is high, but there's no special notification or anything.

If you're talking to an NPC and a conversation option for more information or reward just stops dead while offering neither, it's possible you didn't have enough charisma. If you're talking to an NPC and are suddenly told of somewhere you can get a reward when said reward seems superfluous to what you did or said, then it's possible you got a charisma reward. But like NPCs offering to join you, there' no flashing lights or ringing bells when it happens or doesn't happen. There's no way to know for sure when it happened or didn't happen except to play multiple games and note the differences.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 9th, 2017, 9:03 am

I would (of course) want it to be per Ranger stat checks; because the stats should only be available if the ranger is. Their attitude, and aptitude should not count in conversation when they are unconscious, dead, or on the opposite side of the map; (not in the conversation).

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » December 9th, 2017, 10:42 am

In that regard it could be both: A Ranger's stats might only count for the team if they are indeed present and conscious. Though I suppose then the player could force a per-Ranger stat check by simply moving all other Rangers far enough away that only the high Charisma Ranger counts. Assuming that the game wouldn't then divide that Ranger's Charisma by the number of team members, whether they are present or not.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 9th, 2017, 4:53 pm

The best option IMO is to have per-PC stat checks, but with an optional setting to auto-select the best PC (or NPC) for the task at hand.

Uster
Initiate

Post by Uster » December 10th, 2017, 3:05 am

Gillsing wrote:
December 9th, 2017, 12:28 am
I would assume that special stuff like that can use whichever special rules the developers cared to use when they designed the NPCs.
Thank you for sharing your experience. But I don't understand your answer. Do you assume some NPC's need a Ranger with good Charisma be in my squad, and some NPC's need a Ranger with good charisma to start conversation? Thank you for your time.

Uster
Initiate

Post by Uster » December 10th, 2017, 3:07 am

Stuurminator wrote:
December 9th, 2017, 5:45 am
I don't know for sure if it's the individual ranger's charisma or the party's charisma, but my guess is almost certainly the latter. Anyway, NPCs offer an additional benefit when your charisma is high, but there's no special notification or anything.

If you're talking to an NPC and a conversation option for more information or reward just stops dead while offering neither, it's possible you didn't have enough charisma. If you're talking to an NPC and are suddenly told of somewhere you can get a reward when said reward seems superfluous to what you did or said, then it's possible you got a charisma reward. But like NPCs offering to join you, there' no flashing lights or ringing bells when it happens or doesn't happen. There's no way to know for sure when it happened or didn't happen except to play multiple games and note the differences.
Yes, I don't know for sure too. That's why I'm asking :)
Thank you, but I know about absence of ringing bells and flashing lights. ))

Uster
Initiate

Post by Uster » December 10th, 2017, 3:11 am

Gizmo wrote:
December 9th, 2017, 9:03 am
I would (of course) want it to be per Ranger stat checks; because the stats should only be available if the ranger is. Their attitude, and aptitude should not count in conversation when they are unconscious, dead, or on the opposite side of the map; (not in the conversation).
Thank you for your help. But I think you misunderstand me. My question is not about what happens when rangers are split and are on the opposite side of the map.
By the way, maybe you don't want it, but Barter Skill works, when the ranger with good Barter Skill is on the opposite side of the map. :)

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » December 10th, 2017, 3:35 am

The Pawner and Silver-Tongued perks appeared to be personal when I tested them. Unlike Barter. Just FYI.
Uster wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 3:05 am
Do you assume some NPC's need a Ranger with good Charisma be in my squad, and some NPC's need a Ranger with good charisma to start conversation? Thank you for your time.
Pretty much like that, yes, except not necessary to be the one to start the conversation, just the one selected as the speaker when clicking on a dialogue option. Like how the doctor at Titan's Temple will only heal my team if the person telling him "Heal" has taken any damage, but if the person talking is unwounded he'll just say it's a scratch that doesn't need his attention. And regardless, the option to heal is then gone, which is also unusual for such an NPC, since before then, all other such healers have gladly healed everyone regardless of who's asking them, and then kept that offer open. Though both (or neither) of these things could be affected by my team being 'peace breakers', and thus making that NPC and others less helpful than they might otherwise have been. So... special rules all over the place. Take nothing for granted.

I really dislike this kind of game design, but I guess it goes over better with some people. I prefer a game with rules that a player can learn, so that when it's time to make decisions, the player has a good feel for what the risks and rewards are, and what the consequences are likely to be based on the situational modifiers. No "this scenario was designed by this developer and not this other developer also working on the game, so in this case it works differently for no particular in-game reason". Just save often, as the loading tip says. :roll:

Uster
Initiate

Post by Uster » December 10th, 2017, 4:23 am

Gillsing wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 3:35 am
The Pawner and Silver-Tongued perks appeared to be personal when I tested them. Unlike Barter. Just FYI.
Thank you, this is something what I want to know. Yeah, it works just like you described. It looks inconvenient for me. When I sell items, I click "All squad members" button. It was so simple and convenient. Now I understand, I have to pass some items from one ranger to another before selling these items :lol: . And when I have Silver-Tongued ranger, I have to choose ranger carefully when I want to buy something :) .

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 10th, 2017, 8:19 am

Uster wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 4:23 am
When I sell items, I click "All squad members" button. It was so simple and convenient. Now I understand, I have to pass some items from one ranger to another before selling these items :lol: . And when I have Silver-Tongued ranger, I have to choose ranger carefully when I want to buy something :) .
This is sensible to me; the merchant is trying to get the best deal they can, and if the ranger is not confident, or not able to haggle, then that merchant will command a more aggressive price for their goods.
Last edited by Gizmo on December 10th, 2017, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uster
Initiate

Post by Uster » December 10th, 2017, 9:04 am

Gizmo wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 8:19 am
Uster wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 4:23 am
When I sell items, I click "All squad members" button. It was so simple and convenient. Now I understand, I have to pass some items from one ranger to another before selling these items :lol: . And when I have Silver-Tongued ranger, I have to choose ranger carefully when I want to buy something :) .
This is sensible to me; the merchant is trying to get the best deal they can, and if the ranger is not confident, or not able to haggle, the that merchant will command a more aggressive price for their goods.
Lack of consistency and lack of proper skill-attributes-perks description. That's what we a talking about. E.g. we have party-wide Barter skill and not party-wide The Pawner perk. I am pretty sure it is not sensible for you :) . And we don't have straightforward and clear Charisma description. And many other things are not clear described too. Just like Gillsing mentioned above.
Last edited by Uster on December 10th, 2017, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 10th, 2017, 9:07 am

Uster wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 9:04 am
...we have party-wide Barter skill and not party-wide The Pawner perk. I am pretty sure it is not sensible for you :) .
It's a shame; and you are right, it's not sensible to me.

Geist1
Initiate

Post by Geist1 » April 13th, 2018, 1:04 pm

So far I haven't seen charisma do jack sh--. For conversations it's been Hard Ass, Kiss Ass, Smart Ass perk. I have no freakin' idea why those were separated from charisma. They could have done away with those perks and just relied on charisma for dialogue. Having your high charisma character knowing when to improvise and speak "hard assley, kiss assley, or smart assley." You just waste perk points maxing all 3 of those perks, when you should just be worrying about charisma.

Another silly f--- example of stats. I got a character with 2 Strength with maxed out "Brute Force." ROFLMFAO. Just for sh--s and giggles. Like why the hell were those 2 things even separate?