Synthetics and robots?

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

huongduong
Initiate

Synthetics and robots?

Post by huongduong » June 26th, 2017, 7:57 am

Everyone who resided inside my neighborhood, all the male adolescents, I'd say, they've finished three things. They learn skateboarding tricks for beginners . They visited Wesley Chapel Secondary School. They labored at Wendy's. Yeah. Virtually everyone.

Apart from me.

I didn't focus on Wendy's.

I've resided inside the same house for 18 years.

When I used to be 5 to 10, Applebee's wasn't here, no Publix. From the. It absolutely was all just pasture.

I really like light. Apart from sunlight. I'm not very thinking about that. This is why It's my job to placed on shades. I really will not squint. I'd prefer not to get crow's foot after i am like 35. I'd be really bummed relating to this.

I'd seen this hair produced by a couple of bands I used to be hearing. I used to be, like, it can't be very hard. How hard will it be? I could to make it happen a few occasions plus it showed up in this area pretty bad. It really looked terrible. Then I started while using the hairspray rather in the hair glue and in those days it showed up in this area far better. I take advantage of Got2B Glued. Between another from the can with a half can of hairspray. The freezing spray, as it is termed as.

I'm very precise in what I'm doing. The first time I obtained it generate earnings wanted it, it needed four hrs, from 8 p.m. to nighttime time, then I rested about it, then I visited school the next morning. I only did that two more occasions. Then I started being not very nitpicky from it and just selecting it. The way you notice now? It simply needed forty-5 minutes.

In my opinion it's my finest pet peeve: If an individual appears and hits my hair, or touches it, without getting to state hi or anything, it genuinely, really aggravates me. However when they ask, "May I touch it, please?" I believe that sure.

In the event you say hi in my opinion, I'm prone to say hi back.

Essentially get forced out up for multiple days, then i respray it. A lengthy I left up was In my opinion five days. I get forced out reduced spurts. Essentially know I'm apt to be hanging at home for a few days, I don't go to whichever need to put it together. I don't want it up for everyday things - like, I don't want it around brush my teeth or anything. That's kind of silly.

It really is convenient to relax when it's lower. what size skateboard should i get

At Bosco's, mainly I'm a cashier - but it's rather weird a few things i do. The pizzas I make - it won't look pretty, I guess. I'd produce a pizza, it could take additional time, and i also wouldn't ensure it is look much the same way. I wasn't effective in it. Therefore I got proficient at the odd jobs at Bosco's - dishes, stocking the sodas. I'm especially effective in folding the boxes.

I'd say I'm a unsuccessful perfectionist.

Uniformity? It's its pros and cons. For those who have a place or possibly dorms or possibly a condo. You keep things nice organized and clean so you don't need to trip over anything. Because sense, uniformity is great. However, if the situation is too uniform, they lose their spark. When everything's the identical, that - that is not as fun.
The housing developments simply started I guess once i was midway through elementary school. I'm not prone to lie: I am unable to stand the cookie-cutter houses that have sprang up. Round the bus, my pals would joke relating to this: Model 1, Model 2, Model 1 getting a larger roof. Lame.

The mailboxes are similar. The identical mailboxes.

I leave for Florida Condition either August. 19 or August. 20. It will likely be a new challenge. I have not resided abroad, really, for the kind of lengthy time, and therefore, I guess - I guess I'm just searching toward it since i have like meeting people. And college - that's lots of people to fulfill.

This month will be of goodbyes. Plenty of last whatevers.

I'm nervous. I'd prefer not to spoil it. I guess I'm scared - like, I'd prefer not to lose reference to people. But mainly it's exciting. So I'm not very scared.

Theater allows you to certainly express yourself in the unique manner. You're going to get your emotions on stage and you don't need to concern yourself with any repercussions. You might be someone you aren't.

In my opinion exactly what it trained me is that i'm a lot more confident than I let myself realize. I guess it's exciting to know can make a move.

They provided me promenade king and homecoming king last year. They were like, "You're round the homecoming court," and i also was like, "What, I've arrived at go the football game now? Am I Going To enter totally free?In .

So they proposed a crown plus a cape and needed plenty of pictures. I obtained the sashes. I obtained all the hoo-hah. For homecoming, they proposed a friggin' scepter. I used to be, like, So what can i personally use a scepter! However chosen it. Whatever.

A punky kid who likes Alien and does acting? I don't credit myself with being awesome. In my opinion I really do pretty uncool things, to tell the truth.

I guess my hair was very recognizable.

As told to Michael Kruse, Occasions staff author. how to set up a skateboard

FAST Details

Concerning this feature

Everybody features a story, and that's what this feature is about - just letting them tell it
Last edited by huongduong on July 8th, 2017, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Synthetics and robots?

Post by Drool » June 26th, 2017, 3:01 pm

There's a couple people with synthetic parts, so they'd be more cyborg than anything. And you can find Vax, but he's an uncontrolled follower like an animal or the Provost. Beyond that, no.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 27th, 2017, 3:40 am

There's one recruitable companion who is pretty close to being a robot, though still more of a cyborg. There's also a robot you can repair in Damonta who will follow you around and fight for you until he is destroyed (trying to be vague here because of spoilers).

Also you can use Computer Science to hack robot enemies in combat, which turns them to your side for the remainder of the fight (but they die after the fight ends).
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 27th, 2017, 10:04 am

Drool wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 3:01 pm
There's a couple people with synthetic parts, so they'd be more cyborg than anything. And you can find Vax, but he's an uncontrolled follower like an animal or the Provost. Beyond that, no.
That should have been a feature of Toaster Repair; to allow party control through tampering. Have an initially high chance of going rogue per round, but reduced through skill.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 27th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Gizmo wrote:
June 27th, 2017, 10:04 am
That should have been a feature of Toaster Repair; to allow party control through tampering. Have an initially high chance of going rogue per round, but reduced through skill.
There's quite a bit of different things they should have done with Toaster Repair, but I don't think that's one of them.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 28th, 2017, 4:09 am

Drool wrote:
June 27th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Gizmo wrote:
June 27th, 2017, 10:04 am
There's quite a bit of different things they should have done with Toaster Repair, but I don't think that's one of them.
Have to agree, wtf does toasters have to does synthetics/robots? Sounds like something for Mechanical repair.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 28th, 2017, 9:41 am

Crosmando wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 4:09 am
Have to agree, wtf does toasters have to does synthetics/robots? Sounds like something for Mechanical repair.
Nothing; (but of course).

I must say that this is disappointingly unexpected. Does everyone here actually take 'Toaster Repair' as the dead-pan literal skill at repairing toasters? :shock:

The skill should (if for some reason it isn't), be meant as a catch-all jury-rig skill for minor temp-repairs & useful modification. A skill that (with developer discretion) could apply (at least somewhat) to almost any situation if loosely plausible (but in some cases maybe stretching it)... though it should not be guaranteed to apply to anything specific—unless perhaps actually to the repairing of toasters; (which IMO should not be trapped treasure chests, the way they were done in WL2).

The skill should be a developer's exercise in unconventional thinking (meaning their own), and/or used as an occasional option to allow the player jury-rig something they didn't manage to get the MacGuffin for—or all the parts to it. The idea behind mentioning the robots is that despite their complexity, the tinkerer might find that that gum and a paperclip can be used to short out a complex security protocol (on a chip)— where the upshot is that so long as it's working, the fix prevents the robot from discerning authorization limits, and thus takes orders in combat. :lol: (Don't mistake the use of gum in the example as cartoon/wacky repair; gum would hold a wire in place.)

Many years ago, a publisher released copy protected music CDs intended to be unplayable on a computer, but that worked in off-the-shelf CD players. Somebody soon figured out that a felt tip permanent marker could bypass the entire system by blotting it out on the disc— Crazy right?
(Though it actually does make sense on a technical level). In game terms, that would be the PC using their Jurry-Rig skill to solve the problem.

**BTW... It could also be the case that such a skill could have a low cap, and never rise above 40% (just for example). Also the method could be that no object has any advertised option to jurry-rig, but that any object can be attempted (and even possibly broken by it); such that the developer could allow or disallow the fix transparently. This could even be done dynamically, where the fix didn't even exist prior to the player screwing up something else, and needing a way to progress. In Fallout, IRRC, the team would sometimes rig parts of the game in the player's favor to ensure their three path tenet for all quests. (Like setting an NPC to never catch you pickpocketing them.)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 28th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Gizmo wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 9:41 am
I must say that this is disappointingly unexpected. Does everyone here actually take 'Toaster Repair' as the dead-pan literal skill at repairing toasters?
Toaster Repair was a silly little skill with a single use.

Frankly, I wasn't particularly thrilled with how it was implemented in WL2 either. It was basically just another lockpick/safecrack skill, but of critical importance because all the items in them were vitally important for getting the best gear. Ralphy was a minor mitigating factor, but otherwise...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 28th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Drool wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 8:38 pm
Gizmo wrote:
I must say that this is disappointingly unexpected. Does everyone here actually take 'Toaster Repair' as the dead-pan literal skill at repairing toasters?
Toaster Repair was a silly little skill with a single use.
I remember. But it didn't have to be—it just was; and a waste of good potential it was too, I thought. They could have done better with it. I assume this was due to (also) taking the name of the skill literally; and not seeing the potential they could have had with it. :(

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » June 29th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Drool wrote:
June 27th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Yep.
Gizmo wrote:
The idea behind mentioning the robots is that despite their complexity, the tinkerer might find that that gum and a paperclip can be used to short out a complex security protocol (on a chip)— where the upshot is that so long as it's working, the fix prevents the robot from discerning authorization limits, and thus takes orders in combat. :lol: (Don't mistake the use of gum in the example as cartoon/wacky repair; gum would hold a wire in place.)
Unconventional thinking is nice for those with appropriate background, but otherwise a tinkerer would have the same chance to override said chip as he would hack into modern OS. As kid I liked to "tinker" with things but generally I just left a trail of broken things.
Gizmo wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 9:05 pm
I remember. But it didn't have to be—it just was; and a waste of good potential it was too, I thought. They could have done better with it. I assume this was due to (also) taking the name of the skill literally; and not seeing the potential they could have had with it. :(
The real question is do we need another "mandatory" team skill? In games with single protagonist having multiple skills/solutions added replay ability value, but with team you don't need to compromise just give every team member a specialization. And given that they would try to make all skills viable, generally the more skills there are the less unique they feel..

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 29th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Remo wrote:
June 29th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Unconventional thinking is nice for those with appropriate background,
Unconventional thinking of the developers; the actual outcome need not be uncharacteristic of the PC... it needn't even be the same for different PCs.
Remo wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 9:05 pm
The real question is do we need another "mandatory" team skill?
What's mandatory about it? If the PC isn't a tinker, or can't spare the skill choice—don't elect for the skill. :?

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » June 29th, 2017, 10:49 pm

I thought Toaster Repair was handled fine in WL2. It was another get-items-out-of-a-container skill (like Lockpicking or Alarm Disarm) at its core, sure, but it was a skill for picking unique top-level gear (if through a few extra steps) and only top-level gear. You'd need it to have all the nicest unique gear, but it wouldn't fit your bread and butter needs like Lockpocking would.

It had a distinct role that matched (and improved on) its role in WL1 and occasionally even delivered a laugh. It's not necessary to crowbar in another use for reprogramming cybernetics or other things that clearly better fit other skills.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 1st, 2017, 3:02 pm

Yeah, its an odd ball skill like the Animal Whisperer but you still pick it up. Also in my plathroughs the least useful skill was Alarm Disarm, the few times it could make a difference there was always an option to use one of the "core" skills.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 1st, 2017, 10:45 pm

You can easily get through the game without Alarm Disarm or Animal Whisper. Skipping Toaster Repair on the other hand severely cripples you.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 2nd, 2017, 12:44 am

I believe a few points in Alarm Disarm is required for one of the perks.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » July 2nd, 2017, 9:25 am

Drool wrote:
July 1st, 2017, 10:45 pm
You can easily get through the game without Alarm Disarm or Animal Whisper. Skipping Toaster Repair on the other hand severely cripples you.
I think that's an exaggeration. Toaster Repair gets some some unique weapons, but you aren't crippled without them (indeed, in some cases you're better off without them by the time you can turn those toaster items in). It also gets you skill books, which are pretty useful, but hardly essential (especially if you've built to find all the skill point statues).
Crosmando wrote:
July 2nd, 2017, 12:44 am
I believe a few points in Alarm Disarm is required for one of the perks.
You need two ranks in Alarm Disarm to get Cyber Scrounger, which lets you harvest energy ammo from electronics, but that's only useful if you use energy weapons. In the Director's Cut, energy weapons are only useful if you bend over backwards to make them so.

The other Alarm Disarm perks are based around avoiding overwatch fire, which is wholly irrelevant.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 3rd, 2017, 6:50 pm

Stuurminator wrote:
July 2nd, 2017, 9:25 am
I think that's an exaggeration. Toaster Repair gets some some unique weapons, but you aren't crippled without them (indeed, in some cases you're better off without them by the time you can turn those toaster items in). It also gets you skill books, which are pretty useful, but hardly essential (especially if you've built to find all the skill point statues).
Indeed. Although I would say that the skill books on their own don't worth much, if you spend the point you put in Toaster Repair on something else you'd come far ahead.

From min/max preseptive this skill works best if you utilize the power of hindsight and beeline toward Ralphy.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » July 4th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Remo wrote:
July 3rd, 2017, 6:50 pm
Although I would say that the skill books on their own don't worth much, if you spend the point you put in Toaster Repair on something else you'd come far ahead.
That depends on how you're spending your skill points, really.

It takes you 36 skill points to reach level 9 in Toaster Repair, plus the (easily accessible) book to hit level 10. If you exclusively use skill books to go from level 9 to 10, that means that each skill book saves you 8 skill points, meaning you come out ahead if you plan to raise five or more non-combat skills (across your entire party, remember) to level 10.

However, maybe you don't need or want to get a skill to level 10. Or maybe you do, but you're using a trinket to do so, or you need to hit level 10 before you get access to the skill book. And most importantly, not all skill books are attained via toaster items. All of these things muddy the waters and make it much more a question of your own playstyle and priorities.

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 4th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Good point.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 4th, 2017, 9:06 pm

But, in general, the toasters have far more valuable loot than safes, which tend to have randomized junk and/or ammo.
Alwa nasci korliri das.