Toasters mattering

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

tuanhuylink
Initiate

Toasters mattering

Post by tuanhuylink » May 26th, 2017, 9:09 pm

I made a previous post decrying the randomness of chests, about sometimes getting empty containers (a very bad idea), but what bothers me the most is the change in how valuable toasters have become. In the first game you got specific treasures from the toasters you could find. It was a silly skill, perhaps, but you had a guarantee of a good haul. Making toasters "just another barrel" cheapens them to the point of insignificance. Any "container" that requires a skill to access should at least have higher tiered random goodies if not HAND PLACED treasure. I know many love the random loot fests of games like Diablo, but in a game like Wasteland, we like more structured, worthwhile gameplay. That includes hand placed loot. Sure, it takes more time, but I love how the overland cache system is handled. You can still have randomness with noname enemies (named villains should have hand picked equipment afterall) and cheap containers like barrels and the like (although specialized loot tables for each type of "container" would be best), but to really reward the player investing in these otherwise useless skills is the way to go.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Toasters mattering

Post by Zombra » May 26th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Eh? There are certainly some toasters with random loot, but many have not just hand-placed items, but unique stuff.

eolsunder
Initiate

Post by eolsunder » July 22nd, 2017, 5:46 pm

I agree that toasters random loot with the "toaster expert" perk should have better items in them. Sure, you can get some decent items by save/reloading, but really often you'll get the normal junk you find in regular chests, its rare to get good items in the toaster loot. I also agree that the limited amount of toasters in the game should bump up the loot better than the random chests you can stumble across. After all your wasting a perk for what, a dozen or 2 "toaster chests" you stumble across.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » July 22nd, 2017, 7:46 pm

eolsunder wrote: ↑
July 22nd, 2017, 5:46 pm
Sure, you can get some decent items by save/reloading, but really often you'll get the normal junk you find in regular chests, its rare to get good items in the toaster loot.
I remember mostly getting trinkets and weapon mods, some of which were very good, which I appreciated because both can be very useful and their acquisition may come down to a roll of the dice in any given game.

eolsunder
Initiate

Post by eolsunder » July 23rd, 2017, 7:18 am

True, but again you have to save/reload to get the good stuff, because the loot acts just like random loot, just with a higher threshold I believe. So yes early on if you get the skill in the early game you can find some nice items, but again its low level, you won't have the weaponsmithing to use any good crafting items until you get your skill levels up, you might be lucky to find a good SMG (I often find great smgs in the toaster loot, but not really much else, other than an occasional sniper rifle), and trinkets, well, there aren't any "great" trinkets, you might find rarer ones that you don't find in the first Arizona map but would find in the California map, but even those aren't super amazing except for a few like the tinker backpack that weights like 20 lbs). I personally get the skill anyway because you get tons of perks, and getting some higher end items earlier is never a bad thing. But would be much better if they just put in different items in the toasters without the "random loot" factor. This toaster you find a good smg. this toaster gives you a nice sniper, next shotgun, next tactical scope, next laser sight, etc you get the idea. Just throw in 1 random top gear item and that would be fine with me.