Gave up for the third time

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Jarmo
Initiate

Gave up for the third time

Post by Jarmo » April 22nd, 2017, 11:01 am

Background; didn't play WL1, did play fallout (and 2 and tactics) and BG's.
Did play the new 3D fallouts and Pillars of Eternity and Shadowrun Returns games.

Got the game when it came out, tried it the first time shortly after the first or second patch.
It crashed repeatedly in highpool, gave up. Meant to return but the game got buried.

Tried again shortly after the release of DC.
This time I went to AG center first. After encountering supaflies and megamaggots kind of lost interest,
this is not what I signed up for, I wanted.. not sure what I wanted but not silly camp enemies.
Meant to return to the game, but didn't really feel like it. Then got a new gaming PC and lost the saves.

Came back last week, again, liked the beginning, liked fighting raiders.
Again got somehow confused with the quest system, not really knowing what to do.
Found the dead ranger body first, then clues to where he might be later,
thought I was already done but couldn't report in, checked a walkthrough and found the journal pages.

Then AG center again. This time bit my teeth until finding the way to basement.
Everybody's diseased, the doctor was super interested in curing his friend when I found the cure,
but doesn't want to cure me. There's poisonous corridors I apparently cant unpoison without going in and get poisoned.
Everybody's poisoned and diseased, I don't have a clue of what to do except to unpoison the water supply,
but don't know where it is.

Basically, the enemies are annoying, the game is confusing and annoying, I don't enjoy this at all.
Gave up the third time.

But I didn't uninstall yet.
Will it get better, is there a reason to go on?
Or is this it? If I don't like it at this point, I wont like it at all?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Gave up for the third time

Post by SagaDC » April 22nd, 2017, 3:44 pm

The Ag Center is definitely more of a slog than Highpool. There's more general puzzle solving involved and a lot of the fights can feel grindy due to the nature of the enemies, but the overall rewards are superior to the ones you would get in Highpool.

However, that said, if you want a more straightforward quest with lots of firefights then you should choose to save Highpool instead of Ag Center. Highpool is a bit shorter overall, and involves a lot more gunfights with hostile raiders.

Jarmo
Initiate

Post by Jarmo » April 23rd, 2017, 11:14 am

It's one or the other? Not both? Damn, then I definitely made the wrong choice.
But what about the rest of the game? Similar to which one or completely different?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » April 24th, 2017, 8:07 am

Jarmo wrote:
April 23rd, 2017, 11:14 am
It's one or the other? Not both? Damn, then I definitely made the wrong choice.
Yes, it's one of the few cases in the game where significant content is gated based on your decision. You can save Ag Center at the cost of Highpool, you can save Highpool at the cost of Ag Center, or you can end up letting both get destroyed. You can still visit one of the locations after it gets destroyed, but many of the map areas will no longer be accessible and most of the loot and quests are gone.

I analyzed the two starting areas pretty heavily back during the beta, and my general conclusion was that the Ag Center was much longer and had marginally superior rewards and superior storytelling, but that it also quickly became more of a grind because of the excessive number of "explosive pods" and numerous enemies that cost precious ammo without giving any in return (which can be lethal to a starting party, since ammo is still a precious resource at that early point in the game).
Jarmo wrote:
April 23rd, 2017, 11:14 am
But what about the rest of the game? Similar to which one or completely different?
The game definitely suffers through some "growing pains" in the first few areas. Those are the areas that they developed before they had put all of the game mechanics in place, so they're fairly different from the later areas in the game. My advice would be to push forward for at least a while longer, so you can see some of the content that comes after the intro (since Ag Center and Highpool are essentially just part of the "extended intro") and judge for yourself. Early on the game tends to be fairly linear, but once you reach a certain point things become much more open in terms of world design.

If you don't mind starting over, then you'll probably have a much easier time with the Highpool route, since it's a faster and more straightforward combat mission. There was one significant maze-puzzle in Highpool that frustrated some players, but apparently they removed it in the Director's Cut version.

If you want to continue pushing through Ag Center instead, then feel free to ask for help if you get stuck on any of the puzzles (like the poison gas corridor).

Jarmo
Initiate

Post by Jarmo » April 29th, 2017, 10:37 am

SagaDC wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 8:07 am
The game definitely suffers through some "growing pains" in the first few areas. Those are the areas that they developed before they had put all of the game mechanics in place, so they're fairly different from the later areas in the game. My advice would be to push forward for at least a while longer, so you can see some of the content that comes after the intro (since Ag Center and Highpool are essentially just part of the "extended intro") and judge for yourself.
Ok, thanks.
Found a save from before going to AG.
Plowing through Highpool now and having much more fun.
We'll see how it goes from here..

ULTMX
Initiate

Post by ULTMX » May 8th, 2017, 9:56 am

Jarmo wrote:
April 29th, 2017, 10:37 am
Ok, thanks.
Found a save from before going to AG.
Plowing through Highpool now and having much more fun.
We'll see how it goes from here..
Probably for the best.

AG Center would be been much better later in the game after you are already familiar with the combat mechanics and can just supply yourself with bullets from vendors.

Whatever you could have gotten from AG Center isn't really worth more than the bullets you have to spend killing a bunch of plants (that don't drop any bullets).

I personally like the NPC you can get from High Pool better.

Jarmo
Initiate

Post by Jarmo » May 24th, 2017, 11:00 am

Finished. And it was never as annoying as AG center again.
A bunch of shoddily made quests, but mostly it was good.
Happy I stuck to it, will most likely be back for WL3. :)

Beatricetoi
Initiate

Post by Beatricetoi » June 26th, 2017, 8:52 pm

I am also confused about that.