Huge....Massive...

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Woolfe » April 9th, 2013, 6:50 pm

AHA... nice..... So you use the analog stick for all movement controls with your thumb?

Its basically a keyboard extension otherwise. I presume by the indentations you could happily use it in a WASD type configuration as well.

Yeah I could see that working. I'd like to see a version of that released with Steambox when it comes out. That'd screw the console manufacturers ;)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 9th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Woolfe wrote:AHA... nice..... So you use the analog stick for all movement controls with your thumb?

Its basically a keyboard extension otherwise. I presume by the indentations you could happily use it in a WASD type configuration as well.

Yeah I could see that working. I'd like to see a version of that released with Steambox when it comes out. That'd screw the console manufacturers ;)
You seem unhealthily obsessed with the death of consoles.
"If that Radar were accurate, he'd be in the middle of a river right now."

Clawdius
Scholar

Post by Clawdius » April 9th, 2013, 8:07 pm

GreggD wrote:You seem unhealthily obsessed with the death of consoles.
It's a fairly common affliction amongst PC gamers who watched for years while the stores devoted less shelf space year after year to PC and cried "Do you see, we sell fewer and fewer PC games!" and people wrote articles talking about how the PC was dying. All because publishers had the odd idea that console gamers never pirate anything, or that is at least the general consensus on the big push that existed toward console.

It doesn't help that in no time at all once this next generation of consoles comes out, we'll finally start to see AAA games that can take advantage of the sort of hardware PC gamers have been using for quite some time. It didn't take long before the textures and loading interims in AAA games were held back so the the 360s 10 megs of EDRAM for video and 512mb shared RAM or the PS3s 256VRAM and 256 System RAM could keep up. It won't be terribly long before we see AAA titles having less graphical fidelity to better support this "next generation" of consoles once again.

Thankfully, the optimization efforts spent on making games work on outdated X86 hardware at that point should be less frustrating to gamers in theory, than the money that had to be spent on working with the Cell processors. Since we're all going to be one big happy X86 family, maybe we'll see the PC interface get a little more love than it sometimes has in the past from cross platform titles, so I don't have to press six keystrokes to reach my inventory rather than hitting I. We'll see.

Personally I was frustrated by the state of cross platform games for a long time, but given the current state of the indie game development scene I am actually happy that AAA developers held themselves back by making sure everything would work on outdated hardware. If the publishers hadn't stopped caring about PC gamers, Steam and other digital distributers would never have needed to exist (allowing a huge market to titles that can't afford traditional distribution), and if the publishers hadn't stopped funding the sorts of games I enjoy playing there would be no need for the crowdfunding movement which I am quite supportive of. I can certainly understand why a lot of PC gamers feel frustrated by consoles, as they're something that can be said to have held the industry back. But I look at is like we experienced an unpleasant past, and now have been able to look forward to a brighter future. The Geek shall inherit the mirth.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » April 9th, 2013, 8:40 pm

@Woolfe:

I'll tell you what it is, actually: the default field of view of most multiplatform releases tends to be weirdly narrow in order to accommodate the controller's slower turning speed, and I've got an irrational film-student-y "This is how the artists want you to see it, you philistine!" reaction to dicking around with the FOV slider, even when it's there. That's more of a weird issue I have than anything, but I swear to God that's what I say to myself.

I did finally break down and mess with it in Dishonored recently, because the default FOV in that game didn't work for me. It felt way too narrow to be an immersive sim, in my nostalgia-driven opinion. I think it defaults to 75, but if you want a nice wide Thief-y field of view, you should crank it to about 110.

I didn't stop playing with the controller at that point, though. :P

I do think your preference ultimately has to do with what you mainly grew up using. I've owned top-notch gaming PCs for a while, but most of what I would consider my formative gaming experiences were on a console, because consoles used to be "put the game in and play it, no fuss, no muss," whereas you all but had to dick around with a hex editor to get PC games to run. At the very least, you were going to have to watch a bar go up, then manually download a patch, then manually apply it, etc. It was a nightmare.

Now, of course, the tables have turned. Consoles are largely the "hurry up and wait" machines, while my PC does everything I ask of it with a courteous, silent nod. But I still like to play with a gamepad. It's habit as much as anything.

*shrug*
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » April 9th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Clawdius wrote: Stuff
Testify brother! Seriously, the moment consoles started competing with computers it was all downhill. There's a reason the PC gaming crowd is so defensive of games created over a decade ago, because we've had nothing to replace them with. Meanwhile Halo 37 and Generic War Simulator 45 dominate the market.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 9th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Woolfe wrote:!??!! Herky-jerky?
Sliiiiiiiiiide, lift, sliiiiiiiiiide, lift...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Yuri
Explorer

Post by Yuri » April 9th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Seriously, the moment consoles started competing with computers it was all downhill.
Yes. Sad thing. Not that there wasn't good games but a whole genres got killed and replaced with endless stream of FPS.

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 9th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Clawdius wrote:
GreggD wrote:*snip*
* double snip*
Thank you, I was starting to feel like the minority on this forum. At least folks like you have a more positive outlook on things. :)

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 9th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Drool wrote:
Also, that is the ONLY drawback to using a mouse I've ever encountered.

Clawdius
Scholar

Post by Clawdius » April 9th, 2013, 10:34 pm

GreggD wrote:
Drool wrote:
Also, that is the ONLY drawback to using a mouse I've ever encountered.
not really an issue with a good gaming mouse, I can move from one side of the screen to the other with about one inch of desk space, I can use the arm of my computer chair as a mousepad if I so desire. I only pick up my mouse if I am moving it from one surface to another. Some people aren't comfortable with that level of sensitivity, but I personally don't have any problem with precision.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 9th, 2013, 11:03 pm

GreggD wrote:
Woolfe wrote:AHA... nice..... So you use the analog stick for all movement controls with your thumb?

You seem unhealthily obsessed with the death of consoles.
Actually I'm not. The only reason I don't have the current batch of consoles is Kids + House loan = not much spare cash. Prior to that situation, I generally had 2 consoles + a portable device, as well as my pc.

However. I am happy to see the console manufacturers get screwed to the wall a little, because frankly they need to.

They have been "ruling the roost" so to speak for a while now, and whilst lots of positive has come of it, so has lots of negative.

I want to see them burn a little so that they realise they are not bulletproof leviathons who get to say how WE game.

If the console lifestyle wasn't spilling over into PC, then I wouldn't care, but how many "first person shooters" have been built for a controller, and the K+m has been a poor port. How much "console type" streamlining has made it into games that didn't need it. How many well loved franchises have gone from PC to Console and given a firm "dumbing down" (as opposed to streamlining, which has its place).

These are my issues with Consoles. Otherwise I love them. I love playing GTA on console, or fighting games, or racing games. Etc. But I love my FPS on PC, and my Strategy games on PC. I don't mind if you port one way or another but do it bloody RIGHT!!!
ffordesoon wrote:I do think your preference ultimately has to do with what you mainly grew up using.
Fair enough and even agreed :D
I bought a gamepad for my pc, so I could play 3rd person games better. Precision isn't as important in them. Just like I bought a Joystick many years ago to play space and flight games better. I just find that on a FPS, the game works right with M+K
Drool wrote:
Wow really? If so you are doing it wrong :lol: Adjust your system mouse sensitivity man, it doesn't take long to get used to, AND you never need lift your mouse again. It also helps with RSI etc as you don't move as much. Its complete WIN ;)
GreggD wrote:Thank you, I was starting to feel like the minority on this forum. At least folks like you have a more positive outlook on things. :)
Apologies for my negativity. It is actually quite targeted at companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision, who rather than embrace difference and choice, are forcing people into changing. The console manufacturers are partially to blame as well with their insistence on no K+M and other stupid things.
Heh its why I was more than happy to back WL2 and Torment at prices that are way more than I should be doing. :roll: :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 10th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Woolfe wrote: Apologies for my negativity. It is actually quite targeted at companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision, who rather than embrace difference and choice, are forcing people into changing. The console manufacturers are partially to blame as well with their insistence on no K+M and other stupid things.
Heh its why I was more than happy to back WL2 and Torment at prices that are way more than I should be doing. :roll: :lol:
Fair enough. Though I will say, the PC version of Battlefield 3 was exquisite, in my opinion. So EA gets a pass on that front, for me.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » April 10th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Exquisite? :|

Maybe graphically, but that Battlelog system made it virtually unplayable.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 11th, 2013, 12:59 pm

ffordesoon wrote:Exquisite? :|

Maybe graphically, but that Battlelog system made it virtually unplayable.
It really didn't, and I have no idea why people always cite it. I never had any issue getting into a game, let alone playing it.

sofiakerry
Initiate

Post by sofiakerry » July 27th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Huge fonts are a console feature and they limit your flexibility in UI and on-screen text, so I think it's better to play from a distance. Which will not harm our eyes.