Huge....Massive...

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Clawdius
Scholar

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Clawdius » March 20th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Ekaros wrote:I do hope they will support 2560x1440 atleast. Preferably 2560x1200 and then on ;D
It would be a little silly if they didn't support at least those resolutions, preferably they'll have out of the box support for resolutions up to 5760x2160. While I don't personally know anyone who uses 6 1080p displays, the possibility remains that there are people who can run things at 5760x1080, and with 4k (3840x2160) displays and 21x9 aspect ratio displays available for purchase with more on the horizon resolutions should be as flexible as Unity can allow. Their HUD customization goes a long way toward helping with that, so fingers crossed for ridiculous resolution support.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 21st, 2013, 11:52 am

I imagine that font size will be scalable anyway since UI customization is a big deal to the devs. Hopefully that will meet your needs.

Designing the whole UI ground up for the couch people minority is highly unlikely.

And, yes, although I'm usually not comfortable with generalizations, I'm astronomically confident in the assumption that couch PC gamers are a minority. The OP is the first one I ever heard of, and I know a LOT of gamers from around North America and several from overseas. That's just PC gamers in general. As for the intended audience for a PC title that specifically calls back to the old school experience, the mastermind of which has deliberately stated that he won't lift a finger to appeal to console gamers? Yeah. By and large that audience sits at desks.

Yuri
Explorer

Post by Yuri » April 7th, 2013, 6:32 am

"Wasteland 2 has supports multiple text sizes (and has highly customizable UI in general) and Torment will, too." (c)
from https://torment.uservoice.com

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 7th, 2013, 9:49 am

Yuri wrote:"Wasteland 2 has supports multiple text sizes (and has highly customizable UI in general) and Torment will, too." (c)
Well, there we go. It's settled. Also, not for nothing, but I honestly don't believe there's anything wrong with playing certain games with a controller, provided they were designed to take advantage of it. I finished Bioshock Infinite last week on my PC, using only a 360 controller. It felt good.
"If that Radar were accurate, he'd be in the middle of a river right now."

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 7th, 2013, 4:05 pm

GreggD wrote:
Yuri wrote:"Wasteland 2 has supports multiple text sizes (and has highly customizable UI in general) and Torment will, too." (c)
Well, there we go. It's settled. Also, not for nothing, but I honestly don't believe there's anything wrong with playing certain games with a controller, provided they were designed to take advantage of it. I finished Bioshock Infinite last week on my PC, using only a 360 controller. It felt good.
I agree, but your comment highlights an issue gaming is facing at the moment. The concept that First person shooters are better with a controller...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 7th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Woolfe wrote:
GreggD wrote:
I agree, but your comment highlights an issue gaming is facing at the moment. The concept that First person shooters are better with a controller...
Multiplayer shooters are often times better with a keyboard and mouse, due to precision of target acquisition. For a game like Bioshock Infinite, where it's all AI, I really have no issue with it.

I'd also like to add that force feedback is great in a game like that.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 8th, 2013, 12:27 am

GreggD wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
GreggD wrote: Well, there we go. It's settled. Also, not for nothing, but I honestly don't believe there's anything wrong with playing certain games with a controller, provided they were designed to take advantage of it. I finished Bioshock Infinite last week on my PC, using only a 360 controller. It felt good.
Multiplayer shooters are often times better with a keyboard and mouse, due to precision of target acquisition. For a game like Bioshock Infinite, where it's all AI, I really have no issue with it.

Speaketh for thyself... some of us like being able to control where we shoot instead of letting the computer do it.

K+M is the BEST controller for FPS. Argue all you want it is true.

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 8th, 2013, 3:42 am

Woolfe wrote:
GreggD wrote: Multiplayer shooters are often times better with a keyboard and mouse, due to precision of target acquisition. For a game like Bioshock Infinite, where it's all AI, I really have no issue with it.

Speaketh for thyself... some of us like being able to control where we shoot instead of letting the computer do it.

And that's a valid opinion to have, and you're entitled to yours, as am I. I'm not going to argue about it, or try to convince anyone, I'm just saying the option for both is never a bad idea.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 8th, 2013, 7:27 am

Well FPS not withstanding.

Controllers don't really suit WL2 style games either. Again the fine control of mouse can't be replicated by a controller without shortcuts. Touch screen would in theory work well.

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 8th, 2013, 9:13 am

Woolfe wrote:Well FPS not withstanding.

Controllers don't really suit WL2 style games either. Again the fine control of mouse can't be replicated by a controller without shortcuts. Touch screen would in theory work well.
I tend to agree, though I believe XCOM pulled it off well. But yeah, I'm not expecting any kind of controller option given the project lead's... flippancy, for lack of a better term, regarding consoles.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » April 8th, 2013, 10:45 am

Woolfe wrote:K+M is the BEST controller for FPS. Argue all you want it is true.
Wrong. Analogue stick & mouse is the best controller for FPS.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 8th, 2013, 6:12 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:
Woolfe wrote:K+M is the BEST controller for FPS. Argue all you want it is true.
Wrong. Analogue stick & mouse is the best controller for FPS.
Heathen.... :lol:

I must admit to having never used an analog stick + mouse.

I can't see how it works better tho. Except for slightly easier to reach extra buttons.(And when we say analog stick, I am assuming a joystick style stick, not the stick on a gamepad)

What makes it better in your opinion?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 8th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Woolfe wrote:What makes it better in your opinion?
I would assume that the movement is smoother than what you'd get with WASD.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Drool wrote:
Woolfe wrote:What makes it better in your opinion?
I would assume that the movement is smoother than what you'd get with WASD.
S'why I'm curious.

I have found joystick usage with a single hand awkward if the joystick is not well stabilised. I can only imagine it would be much harder with the offhand as well.

Ekaros
Explorer

Post by Ekaros » April 9th, 2013, 3:58 am

GreggD wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
GreggD wrote: Multiplayer shooters are often times better with a keyboard and mouse, due to precision of target acquisition. For a game like Bioshock Infinite, where it's all AI, I really have no issue with it.

And that's a valid opinion to have, and you're entitled to yours, as am I. I'm not going to argue about it, or try to convince anyone, I'm just saying the option for both is never a bad idea.
It is if it messes with UI, often times the UI is horrible and would be much better if controllers weren't considered...

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » April 9th, 2013, 5:02 am

Woolfe wrote:I can't see how it works better tho. Except for slightly easier to reach extra buttons.(And when we say analog stick, I am assuming a joystick style stick, not the stick on a gamepad)

Actually, I am referring to a gamepad-style thumbstick. And as Drool said, it allows for smoother movement (and proportional speed control), which is the only reason I need.

GreggD
Acolyte

Post by GreggD » April 9th, 2013, 11:11 am

Ekaros wrote:
GreggD wrote: And that's a valid opinion to have, and you're entitled to yours, as am I. I'm not going to argue about it, or try to convince anyone, I'm just saying the option for both is never a bad idea.
It is if it messes with UI, often times the UI is horrible and would be much better if controllers weren't considered...
Which is why devs should not be lazy with their UI. They should make them different for the two modes.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » April 9th, 2013, 11:28 am

Yeah, for modern single-player first-person games like Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored, I confess I do tend to prefer a controller. That's what most of them were designed for anyway, and you get the advantage of full analog movement. The mouse just feels too herky-jerky for games like that.

On the other hand, if it's a first-person game designed for PC, like the original Deus Ex or Hard Reset, mouse and keyboard always feels the best. The PC isn't the indisputable best "console" because it has mouse and keyboard, but because it can easily accommodate any control scheme under the sun, meaning that any game can run on it. It's a superconsole, if you like.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 9th, 2013, 2:53 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:
Woolfe wrote:I can't see how it works better tho. Except for slightly easier to reach extra buttons.(And when we say analog stick, I am assuming a joystick style stick, not the stick on a gamepad)

Actually, I am referring to a gamepad-style thumbstick. And as Drool said, it allows for smoother movement (and proportional speed control), which is the only reason I need.
OK, I am not trying to pick here or anything, I just can't imagine how you have that setup? Mouse + gamepad analog stick.

You obviously have mouse on one side, but how do you get your gamepad comfortable. Do you have a custom controller, or just a neat trick that holds it steady :?:
ffordesoon wrote:Yeah, for modern single-player first-person games like Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored, I confess I do tend to prefer a controller. That's what most of them were designed for anyway, and you get the advantage of full analog movement. The mouse just feels too herky-jerky for games like that.
!??!! Herky-jerky?

Ok, I haven't played a modern single player first person game on console of late. But that has me thrown. Granted the games have been designed for controller, which means they have been designed to cheat to a degree. Because the level of control needed for "look" isn't there. It isn't "smooth" enough.
First person shooters are all about precision, you point in the direction required and shoot. This is the purest premise of the game. There are other types of first person games out there, but they are not "shooters", so you can get away with lack of precision, because it doesn't matter.

The only logical reason to me that a K+M combination would be worse in an FPS is because the K+M has been deliberately made that way. Which wouldn't surprise me following the statements of some of the idiots in charge. At the moment everyone keeps saying that K+M is no longer the best. Nope sorry, it still is. But the "console" kings, have turned most of the "bigname" K+M PC games, into Console games. So of course the shift is occurring.

Bah...

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » April 9th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Woolfe wrote:You obviously have mouse on one side, but how do you get your gamepad comfortable. Do you have a custom controller, or just a neat trick that holds it steady :?:
That neat little toy does the trick: The Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard.