Huge....Massive...

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

User avatar
irongamer
Novice
Posts: 25
Joined: April 15th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by irongamer » April 21st, 2012, 8:14 pm

I don't use a TV for PC gaming and I wouldn't mind seeing large fonts and design that allows for various font sizes.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8756
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Drool » April 21st, 2012, 10:08 pm

WolfStark wrote:That most people play their PC games at their desktop is really questionable, don't most people play their PC games at their own home cinema with a HUGE.....MASSIVE... screen, sitting in a red fabric chair? Come on.
You forgot to mention the snifter of brandy.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

User avatar
Enclave
Scholar
Posts: 104
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 8:19 am

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Enclave » April 21st, 2012, 11:51 pm

Brother None wrote:It's a PC game. Most people play it on their desk. Huge fonts are a console feature, and they limit your flexilibity in UI and on-screen text.

A font+ feature? Sure. Huge fonts as the default? No.
I'm with brother none here. I used to have the same setup as you, I've since learned it was a bad idea and am now back at a desk

Papercutz
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: March 15th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Papercutz » March 16th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Enclave wrote:
Brother None wrote:It's a PC game. Most people play it on their desk. Huge fonts are a console feature, and they limit your flexilibity in UI and on-screen text.

A font+ feature? Sure. Huge fonts as the default? No.
I'm with brother none here. I used to have the same setup as you, I've since learned it was a bad idea and am now back at a desk
I'm guessing the reason you think its a bad idea is because pc games have not really been supported for the big screen. (Ie. font too small for anything to be readable). However, if big font/proper scaling were implemented for the tv, you'll find tv gaming to be fantastic.

And no, i'm not talking about using a handheld console controller, (don't really like those things) i'm talking a wireless keyboard/mouse setup.

With big screen tv prices getting cheaper, smaller living space area (combing the tv and monitor creates less clutter and takes up less space), better reliability of a wireless setup, and just the simple awesomeness of playing games on a 50" tv, I really think this will be a future trend (see valve's "big picture" push, though as mentioned, i don't like the controller bit). I mean doesn't this setup combine the best of both pc gaming (a pc rig) and console gaming (big screen)?

If support for big screen tv can't be supported due to financial/time constraint, then thats ok, but to make a decision not to support big screen tv because you think the market isn't there, then i think you're wrong. (Just look at how big game publishers think that theres no market for old school isometric rpgs, and see how we have proved them wrong!). So pls if possible, support big screen gaming.

User avatar
Ekaros
Explorer
Posts: 296
Joined: March 14th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Ekaros » March 17th, 2013, 2:51 am

Bigger isn't better, more is better. ;D

My thoughts on screen sizes and so on... There should be some options to increase font size for those older fans, but getting it to be readable from long distance... This also comes to other UI elements. Considering the size of show HUD how well that one would work with long view distances how would it need to be scaled...

badly drawn guy
Initiate
Posts: 3
Joined: February 20th, 2013, 5:43 am

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by badly drawn guy » March 17th, 2013, 3:08 am

decision not to support big screen tv because you think the market isn't there, then i think you're wrong
They already make wrong decision to create text based tactical rpg.

Papercutz
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: March 15th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Papercutz » March 17th, 2013, 10:04 am

badly drawn guy wrote:
decision not to support big screen tv because you think the market isn't there, then i think you're wrong
They already make wrong decision to create text based tactical rpg.
Been reading up on shadowrun and would like to quote the developer to counter your arguement.

"We can’t afford to put everything in our imaginations onto the screen, so instead we decided to put it into your imagination via “theater of the mind”. By combining beautiful environments and characters with cleverly-integrated text, we hope to inspire you to “see” and “hear” things that we could never afford to put on your screen or out of your speakers."

Here's the kicker which really got me rooting for "text based"

"Although we can’t animate the single tear traveling down the street urchin’s face, we can type it!"

(See full post at http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/jor ... he-people/)

I not interested in having game developers wasting time developing 3d models (how many original fans of fallout wanted fallout3 to be a 3d FPS?) i want them to be concentrating on the story and letting our imaginations do the rest, creating our own personalized stories.

User avatar
namelessxx
Acolyte
Posts: 71
Joined: February 9th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by namelessxx » March 17th, 2013, 12:04 pm

badly drawn guy wrote:
decision not to support big screen tv because you think the market isn't there, then i think you're wrong
They already make wrong decision to create text based tactical rpg.
sour grapes?
Proud Wasteland 2 backer! (post-kickstarter)

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5625
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Woolfe » March 17th, 2013, 5:27 pm

namelessxx wrote:
badly drawn guy wrote:
decision not to support big screen tv because you think the market isn't there, then i think you're wrong
They already make wrong decision to create text based tactical rpg.
sour grapes?
Don't feed. Someone who posts that in a forum for a Tactical RPG that is heavily reliant on text, is clearly not doing it to promote reasoned argument.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
Ronin73
Master
Posts: 1359
Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 5:35 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Ronin73 » March 17th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Woolfe wrote: Don't feed. Someone who posts that in a forum for a Tactical RPG that is heavily reliant on text, is clearly not doing it to promote reasoned argument.
It's a strange one. The same poster made an earlier comment that they were glad that inXile was using a keyword system, and now they have made the wrong decision by creating a text based tactical RPG?

Not sure what to make of it, TBH.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5625
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Woolfe » March 17th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Papercutz wrote:
Enclave wrote:
Brother None wrote:It's a PC game. Most people play it on their desk. Huge fonts are a console feature, and they limit your flexilibity in UI and on-screen text.

A font+ feature? Sure. Huge fonts as the default? No.
I'm with brother none here. I used to have the same setup as you, I've since learned it was a bad idea and am now back at a desk
I'm guessing the reason you think its a bad idea is because pc games have not really been supported for the big screen. (Ie. font too small for anything to be readable). However, if big font/proper scaling were implemented for the tv, you'll find tv gaming to be fantastic.

And no, i'm not talking about using a handheld console controller, (don't really like those things) i'm talking a wireless keyboard/mouse setup.
<Snip>
If support for big screen tv can't be supported due to financial/time constraint, then thats ok, but to make a decision not to support big screen tv because you think the market isn't there, then i think you're wrong. (Just look at how big game publishers think that theres no market for old school isometric rpgs, and see how we have proved them wrong!). So pls if possible, support big screen gaming.
I thought the main reason to have a desk is ergonomics. Sitting on a couch is easier with a controller than with a keyboard and mouse, which really kind of require something somewhat stable to rest upon.

I'm not saying that's not possible, simply that most wouldn't have a readily available item to work with a couch. I want a couch with a foldaway desk section, that I can pull up and use for drinks/as mouse platform :D

The Standard platform for seating for PC games is currently a desk. So that will be what they build the system to support. Additional stuff like modified fonts, and big screen modes etc. Would be "additions" to the Base experience IMO
Ronin73 wrote:
Woolfe wrote: Don't feed. Someone who posts that in a forum for a Tactical RPG that is heavily reliant on text, is clearly not doing it to promote reasoned argument.
It's a strange one. The same poster made an earlier comment that they were glad that inXile was using a keyword system, and now they have made the wrong decision by creating a text based tactical RPG?

Not sure what to make of it, TBH.
Strange indeed....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Papercutz
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: March 15th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Papercutz » March 17th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Woolfe wrote:
I thought the main reason to have a desk is ergonomics. Sitting on a couch is easier with a controller than with a keyboard and mouse, which really kind of require something somewhat stable to rest upon.

I'm not saying that's not possible, simply that most wouldn't have a readily available item to work with a couch. I want a couch with a foldaway desk section, that I can pull up and use for drinks/as mouse platform :D

The Standard platform for seating for PC games is currently a desk. So that will be what they build the system to support. Additional stuff like modified fonts, and big screen modes etc. Would be "additions" to the Base experience IMO
Well if you are playing a FPS, i agree u need a stable platform to perform twitch reflexes, but as it, one of the reasons i love turn-based fights is that you can take your time and plan your moves and for this, you don't need a very stable platform.

I've got my wireless keyboard and mouse set up on one of those "breakfast in bed" kind of platform, the real estate is kinda small but adequate (finished the new x-com on this set-up without any trouble). I would post a picture but don't know how.

I agree that the current desk format is standard, but the pc and tv in the living room is going to be a growing segment, and it would be nice if wasteland could cater and help grow this segment. And hey, its another selling point to help promote this game!

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5625
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Woolfe » March 17th, 2013, 11:59 pm

Papercutz wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
I thought the main reason to have a desk is ergonomics. Sitting on a couch is easier with a controller than with a keyboard and mouse, which really kind of require something somewhat stable to rest upon.
<SNIP>
The Standard platform for seating for PC games is currently a desk. So that will be what they build the system to support. Additional stuff like modified fonts, and big screen modes etc. Would be "additions" to the Base experience IMO
Well if you are playing a FPS, i agree u need a stable platform to perform twitch reflexes, but as it, one of the reasons i love turn-based fights is that you can take your time and plan your moves and for this, you don't need a very stable platform.

I've got my wireless keyboard and mouse set up on one of those "breakfast in bed" kind of platform, the real estate is kinda small but adequate (finished the new x-com on this set-up without any trouble). I would post a picture but don't know how.

I agree that the current desk format is standard, but the pc and tv in the living room is going to be a growing segment, and it would be nice if wasteland could cater and help grow this segment. And hey, its another selling point to help promote this game!
Good point good point. I will admit to "lounging" at my computer desk regularly enough that my back is punishing me for it :roll:

I can certainly see benefit to it as well, and it should certainly be "simpler" than say an IOS port.

I don't think anyone is against it, indeed Font freedom has been raised several times, I think people just don't see it as a priority.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
Clawdius
Scholar
Posts: 138
Joined: April 7th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Clawdius » March 18th, 2013, 12:08 am

I'm for font size options if they don't take much time to implement, the rest of the UI offers customization options, and font sizes help future proof the game. I mean, once we're all playing @3840x2160 that will make a significant difference in font sizes. I am sure gamers will want to play Wasteland 2 for years to come, so supporting ridiculous resolutions and increasing font sizes in the development stage will keep modders from having to do it.

Starker
Novice
Posts: 43
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 1:38 am

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Starker » March 18th, 2013, 12:09 am

There are games that are nice to play on a big screen TV, but RPGs? Not really what I would picture as suited for a casual experience.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8756
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Drool » March 18th, 2013, 12:37 am

Clawdius wrote:I'm for font size options if they don't take much time to implement, the rest of the UI offers customization options, and font sizes help future proof the game.
This is a good point. Being stuck at 800x600 can be a pain. Trying to full-screen an older game can result in some really weird distortions. To say nothing of doing so with oddball laptop dimensions. I mean, honestly. 1366 x 768? Who expected that in the 80s and 90s?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

User avatar
Mandemon
Adventurer
Posts: 925
Joined: April 5th, 2012, 11:49 am

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Mandemon » March 18th, 2013, 6:42 am

I'm all for different font sizes. Since most of the game can be played with mouse only (AFAIK), I like to "sit back and relax", not hunch over the table.

I got this problem when I tried SkyUI for Skyrim. I had no problems with vanilla UI, apart from slightly slow search of everything. When I switched to Skyrim... I had to hunch over the screen to see what it read. I relies a lot more on right side of the screen to see the big text, rather than on the UI itself.

I like to lean backwards and move away from the screen, not being forced to hunch over and then curse when my back starts to act up.

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5625
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Woolfe » March 18th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Mandemon wrote: I like to lean backwards and move away from the screen, not being forced to hunch over and then curse when my back starts to act up.
Heh, I need a better desk chair, my back acts up because I lean back :roll: :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
Mandemon
Adventurer
Posts: 925
Joined: April 5th, 2012, 11:49 am

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Mandemon » March 18th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Woolfe wrote:
Mandemon wrote: I like to lean backwards and move away from the screen, not being forced to hunch over and then curse when my back starts to act up.
Heh, I need a better desk chair, my back acts up because I lean back :roll: :lol:
I got opposite problem. Of course, when I say "lean back" I do not mean "lay back". I'm still up right, but slightly backwards only.

Too bad half of my chairs are rigid, so I can't adjust them and other half are broken when I am not looking after them :cry:

User avatar
Ekaros
Explorer
Posts: 296
Joined: March 14th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Ekaros » March 19th, 2013, 12:31 am

Papercutz wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
I thought the main reason to have a desk is ergonomics. Sitting on a couch is easier with a controller than with a keyboard and mouse, which really kind of require something somewhat stable to rest upon.

I'm not saying that's not possible, simply that most wouldn't have a readily available item to work with a couch. I want a couch with a foldaway desk section, that I can pull up and use for drinks/as mouse platform :D

The Standard platform for seating for PC games is currently a desk. So that will be what they build the system to support. Additional stuff like modified fonts, and big screen modes etc. Would be "additions" to the Base experience IMO
Well if you are playing a FPS, i agree u need a stable platform to perform twitch reflexes, but as it, one of the reasons i love turn-based fights is that you can take your time and plan your moves and for this, you don't need a very stable platform.

I've got my wireless keyboard and mouse set up on one of those "breakfast in bed" kind of platform, the real estate is kinda small but adequate (finished the new x-com on this set-up without any trouble). I would post a picture but don't know how.

I agree that the current desk format is standard, but the pc and tv in the living room is going to be a growing segment, and it would be nice if wasteland could cater and help grow this segment. And hey, its another selling point to help promote this game!
X-Com might not be the best comparison as it was half made to consoles and it does show from time to time...

Probably could be done with scaling UI and zooming in a lot. Though that would be rather unpleasant experience in some ways...

I do hope they will support 2560x1440 atleast. Preferably 2560x1200 and then on ;D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests