Huge....Massive...

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Tigranes
Initiate

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Tigranes » April 19th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Guys, I have a revolutionary suggestion! Why not a default font designed for common PC setups, that is, roughly 17-24 inch PC monitors and resolutions from roughly 1024x768 to 1900x1200 (?), then if possible, smaller/bigger font options?! Oh, wait, people have already mentioned that, but we're still fighting. :mrgreen:

Obviously, it's a PC game, and you want the default to be font tooled for PC monitors, including laptops - if you want to go play on your big living room TV, sure, it would be nice to have options for bigger fonts too.

Madball357
Acolyte

Post by Madball357 » April 19th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Phaederuss wrote:
sorophx wrote:
Phaederuss wrote:most people game on their PCs on their TV with an XBOX controller lol.
sure they do. they play ports of console games, though. not party-based RPG games, designed for PCs :ugeek:
Right, but the claim that most PC gamers play on their desktop is questionable. That was the only point I was making lol.
Oh, and your claim that ''most people game on their PCs on their TV with an XBOX controller lol'' is not questionable?

What are you, 12?

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » April 20th, 2012, 1:26 am

Keltaras wrote:
Infinitron wrote:I don't understand why some people keep mispelling it "Baulder's". Is that what it's called in certain localized versions or something?

Anyway, that's a different font, not a bigger font.
Considering your tendency to pay attention to spelling, I'd think think that you'd also be prone to comprehend what you read. The manual specifically states:

"You will notice the font is larger and more easily read. "

Please, post a comment about how bigger doesn't necessarily mean larger.
It's slightly larger, like this, not Fallout 3 readable-from-your-couch huge.

suz
Adventurer

Post by suz » April 20th, 2012, 1:43 am

I do think there's place for scalability on the UI front, not huge, not massive, but to scale.

EVE online is a prime example of shit UI - ~10px font height. On an average 21" monitor with 1920x1080 native resolution, that's almost unreadable.

Rentless
Initiate

Post by Rentless » April 20th, 2012, 2:07 am

suz wrote:I do think there's place for scalability on the UI front, not huge, not massive, but to scale.

EVE online is a prime example of shit UI - ~10px font height. On an average 21" monitor with 1920x1080 native resolution, that's almost unreadable.
Haha, almost unreadable???

kasra5004
Acolyte

Post by kasra5004 » April 20th, 2012, 4:40 am

Oh! Come on! All this buzz for a font setting option?! Do it! It's not like it will hurt anyone or costs any money! I remember vmbrian said something about customizable UI, so it wont be surprising to have this feature.

Oesophagus
Scholar

Post by Oesophagus » April 20th, 2012, 5:16 am

Phaederuss wrote:
Actually I don't know that that's true. I use my 42 inch TV and I've read other people claim that most people game on their PCs on their TV with an XBOX controller lol.
How exactly do you want to play an isometric, turn based tactical RPG with a controller anyway?

Well, maybe you can, but it would be like trying to do brain surgery using a pocket knife

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » April 20th, 2012, 5:30 am

AAAAAAA YOU GUYS IF WE GIVE PEOPLE THE ABILITY TO NOT SQUINT AS THEY READ OUR PCS WILL TURN INTO XBOXES

For God's sake, people. :roll:

"Fuck large-print books! If you're old and can't read small text, too bad! What, the Kindle lets you change the size of the text!? HARDCORE READERS UNITE!"

You know? It's stupid.

Yes, designing a UI around it might be harder than not doing that. So? Why not at least try?

Jesus. At least the modkit's confirmed...
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Sub-Human
Explorer

Post by Sub-Human » April 20th, 2012, 6:56 am

ffordesoon wrote:So? Why not at least try?
And? What's the point of trying something that nobody cares about, anyways? Big fonts are a waste because yes, it requires designing a new UI, a UI which has to be simplified and will be a royal pain to use, so it'd be just easier to simplify the game... You get the logic?

I'd say just leave fonts how they're supposed to be. If you don't like it, buy yourself a pair of glasses. Of course, I'm suspecting InXile will add a few options on fonts (Brian said this is supposed to be a customizable adventure), but nothing that will be 72p or similar.

commie
Initiate

Post by commie » April 20th, 2012, 4:52 pm

FONTS NEED TO BE HUGE. THE FOV ALSO SHOULD BE AROUND 50 OR SO SO WE CAN REALLY BE IMMERSED IN THE WORLD. I'D ALSO LIKE VIBRATION FEEDBACK FOR MY CONTROLLER SO I CAN FEEL MY PLASMA GUN ERUPTING WHILE I'M LYING BACK ON MY COUCH WITH MY HANDS IN MY LAP.

nibbling_totoros
Initiate

Post by nibbling_totoros » April 20th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Fonts in this game need to be largish, especially since it will involve more reading than most other games. That was the best part about Planescape Torment mods- the ability to boost fonts by like 100%

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » April 20th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Sub-Human wrote:
ffordesoon wrote:So? Why not at least try?
And? What's the point of trying something that nobody cares about, anyways? Big fonts are a waste because yes, it requires designing a new UI, a UI which has to be simplified and will be a royal pain to use, so it'd be just easier to simplify the game... You get the logic?
Not really. Why not just allow us to scale up the letters one or two times within a set space, as opposed to making the text box bigger? Same-sized UI, just with a bigger font. Nothing drastic.
I'd say just leave fonts how they're supposed to be. If you don't like it, buy yourself a pair of glasses. Of course, I'm suspecting InXile will add a few options on fonts (Brian said this is supposed to be a customizable adventure), but nothing that will be 72p or similar.
72p? Tell me that's exaggeration for comedic effect. The OP might want console-sized fonts, I dunno. But I sure as shit don't. I just think the ability to go up one or two sizes might be nice. I actually agree that modders should take care of the folks playing on a big TV, because this seems very much like a desk- or laptop game to me.

Also, I already wear glasses. Doesn't mean I like straining my eyes. ;)

EDIT: Yeah, GhostDog's UI mod for Planescape is the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Last edited by ffordesoon on April 20th, 2012, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Phaederuss
Scholar

Post by Phaederuss » April 20th, 2012, 6:31 pm

commie wrote:FONTS NEED TO BE HUGE. THE FOV ALSO SHOULD BE AROUND 50 OR SO SO WE CAN REALLY BE IMMERSED IN THE WORLD. I'D ALSO LIKE VIBRATION FEEDBACK FOR MY CONTROLLER SO I CAN FEEL MY PLASMA GUN ERUPTING WHILE I'M LYING BACK ON MY COUCH WITH MY HANDS IN MY LAP.
Yes because not wanting to have to sit right in front of your screen just to read the text equates to this. Shut up.

Kevris
Initiate

Post by Kevris » April 21st, 2012, 9:55 am

Clockwork Knight wrote:
we're all getting older here
"My eyesight ain't so good but I insist on playing far away from the screen. Make stuff bigger for me and the other three guys that play PC games on their couch, plz"

Yeah, no. One of the most popular mods for Oblivion, FO 3 and FO New Vegas was a patch that reduced the font size to make it possible to see more than a few lines of text on the screen. That shows not even the more casual players would want that, let alone people who are interested in W2.
YES, I AM A "CASUAL" WHO ONLY PLAYS BEJEWELEDVILLE, BECAUSE I HAVE REQUESTED LARGER FONTS. CLEARLY, BECAUSE OF THESE TRUE FACTS, IT CAN BE SURMISED THAT ONLY THE CURSED CAUSALS WANT THE ABILITY TO READ THEIR GAMES. NOW THAT I HAVE FINISHED POSTING THIS (IN LARGE TEXT EASY FOR ME TO READ) I WILL GO BACK TO PLAYING VARIOUS CASUAL TITLES SUCH AS MARIO PARTY 9 AND MAFIA WARS. BUT FIRST, I'M GOING TO GO AROUND TELLING ALL OF MY FRIENDS IN CALL OF HONOR:MY LITTLE PONY EDITION AND PRINCESS ROBOT UNICORN ATTACK TO COME HERE AND MAKE SUGGESTIONS ON THE CREATIVE DIRECTION WASTELAND 2 HEADS IN, ONLY TO "RUIN" THE TITLE FOR MORE "HARDCORE GAMERS" SUCH AS YOURSELF.

YOU HAVE DISCOVERED MY EVIL PLANS, CLOCKWORK KNIGHT. HOW VERY ASTUTE OF YOU. I WOULD SUGGEST A CAREER IN THE FBI.

TheEmissary
Scholar

Post by TheEmissary » April 21st, 2012, 10:03 am

Kevris wrote:...Fonts

I do my PC gaming these days from the comfort of my living room. Big fonts make it easier to see from the couch.

Plus, you know, we're all getting older here.
Brian Fargo already said that the UI is going to be customizable. This is a PC game first and foremost so that means the UI should be built for 2ft viewing distance not the 10ft distance that the console games are built around. It aggravates me big time when games inflate the fonts and UI elements to the point they are cutting in to the viewing/playable area.

Balls Out 3
Scholar

Post by Balls Out 3 » April 21st, 2012, 10:08 am

HEY, YOU GUYS MEAN BIG LIKE THIS? CAN YOU READ THIS FROM YOUR COUCH?

edit: I'm only joking around :)
Last edited by Balls Out 3 on April 21st, 2012, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

suz
Adventurer

Post by suz » April 21st, 2012, 10:11 am

Let's all get on the console hating bandwagon because it's self evidently obvious that is the sole and only reason anyone might like a font larger than usual.

TheEmissary
Scholar

Post by TheEmissary » April 21st, 2012, 10:15 am

suz wrote:Let's all get on the console hating bandwagon because it's self evidently obvious that is the sole and only reason anyone might like a font larger than usual.
I am certainly not on the console hating bandwagon. That said how would most console players feel if a developer ported a game over that was only playable/enjoyed if you sat 2 feet away from the screen. Increasing the fonts or changing the UI tends to lead to decisions that don't work for the PC. You might end up having high resolution screens but a third or more of it is covered in UI.

I think the option should be there for scaling the UI but the default UI shouldn't be built for distance that isn't the norm on PC.

WolfStark
Novice

Post by WolfStark » April 21st, 2012, 10:23 am

That most people play their PC games at their desktop is really questionable, don't most people play their PC games at their own home cinema with a HUGE.....MASSIVE... screen, sitting in a red fabric chair? Come on.

Madball357
Acolyte

Post by Madball357 » April 21st, 2012, 4:59 pm

Phaederuss wrote:
commie wrote:FONTS NEED TO BE HUGE. THE FOV ALSO SHOULD BE AROUND 50 OR SO SO WE CAN REALLY BE IMMERSED IN THE WORLD. I'D ALSO LIKE VIBRATION FEEDBACK FOR MY CONTROLLER SO I CAN FEEL MY PLASMA GUN ERUPTING WHILE I'M LYING BACK ON MY COUCH WITH MY HANDS IN MY LAP.
Yes because not wanting to have to sit right in front of your screen just to read the text equates to this. Shut up.
Phaederuss, you better have that sarcasm detector checked up.