Huge....Massive...

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Kevris
Initiate

Huge....Massive...

Post by Kevris » April 19th, 2012, 1:19 pm

...Fonts

I do my PC gaming these days from the comfort of my living room. Big fonts make it easier to see from the couch.

Plus, you know, we're all getting older here.

Brother None
Developer

Re: Huge....Massive...

Post by Brother None » April 19th, 2012, 1:22 pm

It's a PC game. Most people play it on their desk. Huge fonts are a console feature, and they limit your flexilibity in UI and on-screen text.

A font+ feature? Sure. Huge fonts as the default? No.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Phaederuss
Scholar

Post by Phaederuss » April 19th, 2012, 1:24 pm

How about font size options? Is that hard to do?
Brother None wrote:It's a PC game. Most people play it on their desk. Huge fonts are a console feature, and they limit your flexilibity in UI and on-screen text.

Actually I don't know that that's true. I use my 42 inch TV and I've read other people claim that most people game on their PCs on their TV with an XBOX controller lol.

Kevris
Initiate

Post by Kevris » April 19th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Brother None wrote:It's a PC game. Most people play it on their desk. Huge fonts are a console feature, and they limit your flexilibity in UI and on-screen text.

I'm happy to hear that you have access to conclusive research data indicating that most people play on their desk.

I am not one of those people, and would like an option to use a larger font.

Rentless
Initiate

Post by Rentless » April 19th, 2012, 1:28 pm

I see how having a "font size" option could be pretty handy, but I've never seen it implemented in a game before. I'd love to see it happen.

Balls Out 3
Scholar

Post by Balls Out 3 » April 19th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I once read that Obsidian experimented with having a toggle switch that would change the size of the UI for Fallout: New Vegas. I don't recall why it wasn't implemented. There's no reason larger fonts can't be modded in later by the community, though.

Kilus
Initiate

Post by Kilus » April 19th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Phaederuss wrote:How about font size options? Is that hard to do?
Potentially. If you have big changes in font size that can break UI elements. It require extra design, testing and maintenance throughout the project. You don't want words that go over the screen or cut into over elements, so most developers design everything around one standard unchangeable font.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 19th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Kevris wrote:I'm happy to hear that you have access to conclusive research data indicating that most people play on their desk.
No worries. Glad to help.
Phaederuss wrote:I use my 42 inch TV and I've read other people claim that most people game on their PCs on their TV with an XBOX controller lol.
Wasteland 2 certainly won't be designed for that.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » April 19th, 2012, 1:48 pm

I like small fonts. I think there's a certain elegance and harmony when the game you run on your PC has the same font size as your OS, and that harmony is lost when you run a game and suddenly have this HUEG TEXT!! in your face.

Generally speaking, Microsoft's GUI designers know what they're doing. I miss that period when game designers recognized that and made Windows-like GUIs for their games (eg, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights).

Actually, since Brian Fargo has spoken about imitating WoW's interface, I probably have nothing to worry about here.

sorophx
Novice

Post by sorophx » April 19th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Phaederuss wrote:most people game on their PCs on their TV with an XBOX controller lol.
sure they do. they play ports of console games, though. not party-based RPG games, designed for PCs :ugeek:

Morkar
Initiate

Post by Morkar » April 19th, 2012, 2:05 pm

I'm generally not against scaling font sizes via menuoption but I think it will be really hard to implement a fontsize big enough to read comfortably on your tv. And keep in mind the game will have more text than "modern" games.

I really doubt you won't be able to play the game with a xbox-controler anyway. Therefore it's probably uncomfortable to play the game from the couch.

Kevris
Initiate

Post by Kevris » April 19th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Morkar wrote:I'm generally not against scaling font sizes via menuoption but I think it will be really hard to implement a fontsize big enough to read comfortably on your tv. And keep in mind the game will have more text than "modern" games.

I really doubt you won't be able to play the game with a xbox-controler anyway. Therefore it's probably uncomfortable to play the game from the couch.
Yeah, I'm counting on more text than modern games. That's why I was interesetd in bigger fonts. With older games, it's not an issue, I just play in the lowest resolution possible which in turn makes the interface huge. This works beautifully for ID2, PS:T, Morrowind, etc.

With this being a modern game, my concern was that there would most likely not be a 640x480 or 800x600 resolution included.

I hadn't planned on using, nor would I like to use, an xbox controller. A wireless mouse works extremly well on the couch when paired with either a wireless keyboard or a nostromo speed pad. I don't play FPS games on this setup, so if the mouse doesn't respond with twitch accuracy it doesn't matter.

I'm not asking for a dumbed-down console title here, guys. Just *fonts*. If it's not possible, it's not possible.

Phaederuss
Scholar

Post by Phaederuss » April 19th, 2012, 2:39 pm

sorophx wrote:
Phaederuss wrote:most people game on their PCs on their TV with an XBOX controller lol.
sure they do. they play ports of console games, though. not party-based RPG games, designed for PCs :ugeek:
Right, but the claim that most PC gamers play on their desktop is questionable. That was the only point I was making lol.

LostSoul
Initiate

Post by LostSoul » April 19th, 2012, 2:44 pm

A scaleable UI wouldn't be a bad thing, such that "if" you want it to, the UI will occupy the exact same amount of screen space at any resolution. That way if you are playing at 8 feet away on a giant screen, the fonts are still legible, and if you're playing at your desk 18 inches from the screen, you can have them be whatever size is least intrusive.

Keltaras
Initiate

Post by Keltaras » April 19th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Wow seriously? Here's some text from Baulder's Gate ONE addressing the issue of customizing fonts:

Baldur's Gate:
Tales of the Sword Coast

Readme and Manual Addenda

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (tm)
Release Version 1.3.5512

Font Change
There is a new font in the Fonts directory in the root of your TSC
CD-ROM. IF you wish to try the new font, copy it into the override
directory where you installed TSC. You will notice the font is larger
and more easily read. If you don't like it, just delete the font
file from your override directory.

Are we considering Baulder's Gate *not* a PC RPG? Come on man, font size options should be a standard feature these days.

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » April 19th, 2012, 3:18 pm

I don't understand why some people keep mispelling it "Baulder's". Is that what it's called in certain localized versions or something?

Anyway, that's a different font, not a bigger font.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 19th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Question: If the TV is 1080p and you set the game to 1920x1080, and it's legible... On the desk the monitor is (usually I'd guess) not a 42" screen, but on such a large screen with the same resolution, wouldn't it still be legible at a distance?

I don't game on a bigscreen tv, but I occasionally game on a projector... and the text shows up just fine ~but bigger.

If it's really needed, then I think they could include an alternate font (and likely the alternate menu layout that it might require) to make it better suitable to tv gaming, but certainly not as the default.
Infinitron wrote:I don't understand why some people keep mispelling it "Baulder's". Is that what it's called in certain localized versions or something?
It's incorrect, but it's an easy misspelling to make.
Last edited by Gizmo on April 19th, 2012, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevris
Initiate

Post by Kevris » April 19th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Gizmo wrote:Question: If the TV is 1080p and you set the game to 1920x1080, and it's legible... On the desk the monitor is (usually I'd guess) not a 42" screen, but on such a large screen with the same resolution, wouldn't it still be legible at a distance?

I don't game on a bigscreen tv, but I occasionally game on a projector... and the text shows up just fine ~but bigger.

If it's really needed, then I think they could include an alternate font (and likely the alternate menu layout that it might require) to make it better suitable to tv gaming, but certainly not as the default.
It has been my experience using the Mitsubishi DLP displays in my apartment-73" and 60" devices-that most text becomes illegible at the display's native 1920x1080 resolution, when sitting a proper distance from the TV. Further, it's not a matter of fuzziness in fonts or what have you, it's like taking an eye exam and looking at the very top lines; the letters are simply too small to read.

Keltaras
Initiate

Post by Keltaras » April 19th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Infinitron wrote:I don't understand why some people keep mispelling it "Baulder's". Is that what it's called in certain localized versions or something?

Anyway, that's a different font, not a bigger font.
Considering your tendency to pay attention to spelling, I'd think think that you'd also be prone to comprehend what you read. The manual specifically states:

"You will notice the font is larger and more easily read. "

Please, post a comment about how bigger doesn't necessarily mean larger.

Clockwork Knight
Novice

Post by Clockwork Knight » April 19th, 2012, 7:17 pm

we're all getting older here
"My eyesight ain't so good but I insist on playing far away from the screen. Make stuff bigger for me and the other three guys that play PC games on their couch, plz"

Yeah, no. One of the most popular mods for Oblivion, FO 3 and FO New Vegas was a patch that reduced the font size to make it possible to see more than a few lines of text on the screen. That shows not even the more casual players would want that, let alone people who are interested in W2.
Needs more romance, needs more emotional engagement, needs more visceral combat, needs more cinematic experience, needs more epicness