So finally began DC and wow that voice acting.

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

PiPboy
Explorer

So finally began DC and wow that voice acting.

Post by PiPboy » July 14th, 2016, 5:13 pm

So I finally started directors cut now that I got some time.
That voice acting is wow.... indescribably bad.

The performance by Sarah Anne Williams ( Angie -2.0 - the negative sign for good measure ) and Amy Fisher ( Vultures Cry ) who was literally the stereotype white lady pretending to be a native american with absolute perfection

Please don't confuse perfection as a good thing - I am referring to the perfection of recreating the 1950's Hollywood . lets make Native Americans talk funny in movies.

If the voice acting is just bad - just cut it. Just leave it out - users will not mind one bit if it is text only NPC. Its better to be a Text only NPC then voice acting so bad you wonder if the Games name should have been Cut the Director instead of Directors cut.

An Sarah Williams portrayal of Angie is just wow. It is as if she is trying to recite for a theatrical play of shake-spear instead of a battle hardened woman who smokes and drinks occasionally. Rachel Robinson - did a fantastic job in the role - her voice was perfect for the persona of Angie. Sarah was a train wreck that should have been burred with the radioactive waste in the desert.

With that said - For Tides of Numeria for the love of all things holy - if the voice actor is bad do your self a service and just cut it.

Unfortunately I had to execute Vultures Cry in the Citadel, I couldn't take that voice any longer.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Re: So finally began DC and wow that voice acting.

Post by IHaveHugeNick » July 14th, 2016, 5:22 pm

You barbarian. DC's voice acting is like Fight Club. We don't talk about it.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » July 15th, 2016, 9:08 am

I think it should be - if developers think voice acting is required and are willing to dredge up the bottom of the barrel to do it.
I think they should feel confident to know that voice acting is not a mandatory requirement. If they feel it would add to the game then at least make sure its quality stuff and not what ever this was.

My only guess is some one brought a Flash Bang for show an tell in Inxiles Studio and all of them suffered hearing loss when it went off. So they did not notice the horror they unleashed unto the world by allowing such a travesty to exist.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 15th, 2016, 11:57 am

I like to pretend Vulture's Cry is just fucking with the Rangers. I keep expecting her to say, "No, seriously, that's not how I talk."

That said, Ralphy's still great.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » July 15th, 2016, 5:22 pm

PiPboy wrote:I think it should be - if developers think voice acting is required and are willing to dredge up the bottom of the barrel to do it.
I think they should feel confident to know that voice acting is not a mandatory requirement. If they feel it would add to the game then at least make sure its quality stuff and not what ever this was.

My only guess is some one brought a Flash Bang for show an tell in Inxiles Studio and all of them suffered hearing loss when it went off. So they did not notice the horror they unleashed unto the world by allowing such a travesty to exist.
Oh I agree. You can get away with mediocre graphics, you can get away with mediocre writing, you can get away with a lot of things. Voice acting though? Either it's excellent or it should not be there at all.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » July 16th, 2016, 11:08 am

Am I the only one that followed a line of conversation with Vulture's Cry where she does admit to not being a Native American and is fucking with the Rangers... and then talks in her natural voice?

It was along the line of thinking that by acting like she was a wise indian, she would have a better chance at finding her brother or something like that.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » July 16th, 2016, 11:40 am

BlakeStone wrote:Am I the only one that followed a line of conversation with Vulture's Cry where she does admit to not being a Native American and is fucking with the Rangers... and then talks in her natural voice?

It was along the line of thinking that by acting like she was a wise indian, she would have a better chance at finding her brother or something like that.
I don't think I kept her alive long enough for her to talk that much.
She had to be shot.

If she talked normally after being let out of her cage that would have been fine.
But keeping the farce going for so long in such an annoying manner - deserved death.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 16th, 2016, 11:58 am

BlakeStone wrote:Am I the only one that followed a line of conversation with Vulture's Cry where she does admit to not being a Native American and is fucking with the Rangers... and then talks in her natural voice?
I thought I remembered that in Vanilla. Must not have talked enough in the DC.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » July 16th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Yeah, she died in my game, and I felt compelled not to reload the save.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » July 23rd, 2016, 8:06 am

<Very Minor SPOILER ALERT >

If you make the right speech choices when you first meet her, she does admit that she was faking it, and starts talking normally.
If I remember, when you give the brats the slingshot and marbles, they take a shot at her and go away. When you talk to her, mention that the kids were bothering her, and she'll slip out of character.

Kindoffer
Initiate

Post by Kindoffer » August 7th, 2016, 11:32 am

Added voice acting helps boost sales for the console market, I think. And the younger audience, who can't fathom playing an RPG without fully voiced dialogue. Either way, yes, the quality of the voice acting in WL2DC is barely passable, I'm sorry to say. There appears to have been very little direction involved, and sometimes the voice actors even read the descriptions of their characters, so apparently no one was there to say, 'Oh, sorry, that's just a description. You don't need to record that.'

Luckily, you can turn down the VO volume all the way to nothing, but the voices that were already there in the original release were mostly good, and at least the radio messages I don't want to miss out on. They added a lot to my first playthroughs.

Jimmious
Scholar

Post by Jimmious » September 29th, 2016, 11:28 am

madmaxthc wrote:<Very Minor SPOILER ALERT >

If you make the right speech choices when you first meet her, she does admit that she was faking it, and starts talking normally.
If I remember, when you give the brats the slingshot and marbles, they take a shot at her and go away. When you talk to her, mention that the kids were bothering her, and she'll slip out of character.
Yup and I'm surprised how many people didn't notice that
Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » February 14th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I don't think the voice acting is bad, but I don't think it's good either. I noticed characters reading off their descriptions lines twice though.

The one voice acting bit that really confused me was Rambeau's French. It doesn't sound like French French or Canadian French. He pronounces his French "mais" like English "mass" or "maze", not "may". Is this a feature of Louisiana French, or was the voice actor ignorant of French?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 14th, 2017, 11:19 pm

I would assume he's doing more Creole or "bad stereotypical" French.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Saxon1974
Initiate

Post by Saxon1974 » August 23rd, 2017, 3:33 pm

For a video game I don't think the voice acting is bad to be honest. I don't think it's worth it to pay the actors though as I am fine with text.

Wheely Nelson
Initiate

Post by Wheely Nelson » August 29th, 2017, 9:05 am

Good or bad doesn't really bother me, but I read the text twice as fast as the voice acting, so I never hear the full message.