I Finally Finished Wasteland 2.

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Zombra
Global Moderator

I Finally Finished Wasteland 2.

Post by Zombra » May 23rd, 2016, 9:20 pm

Strange, isn't it? How present I was all throughout development, the highs, the lows, the good times on the forums, the nostalgia, the arguments, the rule breakings and bannings, the suggestions that got heard and were implemented, the suggestions that got heard but disregarded - for someone who really had nothing to do with the development of Wasteland 2, I sure feel like it's a part of me; yet until today I never actually played the game through to the end.

And yes, I took the weekend off for the original release way back in September 2014, I ordered a pizza and turned off my phone for two days, I created a party of characters, learned the game a bit, realized what I'd messed up and started over, and started over again ...

And then news of a big patch was coming, so I set the game aside to wait until I could play it "for real". I'd already waited two and a half years; what was another few weeks? Then another major patch was announced, and another shortly thereafter. Soon development fell into a pattern, and so did I: getting excited for the arrival of a patch, only to hold off actually playing in anticipation of the next. The cycle continued as weeks stretched into months, and then - great and terrible news! - the Director's Cut was announced. The curse of another long wait carried the promise of transcendent blessings. Wasteland 2 was again beyond my reach, and I was compelled to put the game out of my mind almost entirely.

Time passed, of course, and W2:DC was released late last year. Of course, almost immediately a patch was announced ... and by now the habit of waiting was second nature. The patch release came and went, and then ... and then ... no more were announced. It seemed as though inXile had truly moved on, as if no more major support for the game was necessary. Almost disbelievingly, I started anew, and soon was tearing in with relish. At long, long last, the characters whose concepts had been refined for years were realized in their canonical, definitive form. Finally I was able to play "and mean it"!

... Until a loose end in quest scripting meant that I couldn't resolve a particular mission satisfactorily. I had done things in the wrong order, and now a necessary conversation simply no longer existed. I had a saved game to return to, but would need to retread two or three hours of gameplay. Demoralized, I felt the motivation drain out of me and once again, almost reflexively, the game was shelved ...

... Until a few nights ago. Enough time had passed that replaying the content felt fresh and fun, and with that singular scripting problem behind me, there was nothing to stop me from continuing through to the end of the game. This afternoon, I prevailed over the final challenge, and sat dumbfounded as the credits rolled up the screen.

Without spoiling anything, the ending sequence has some powerful call backs to the beginning, and I enjoyed a brief tour of many of the people I met, some who survived and others who will be fondly (and not so fondly) remembered, and so many of the adventures I had. For me this was a genuinely emotional journey, not just of a game I'd spent dozens of hours playing, but of the years I spent invested in this project, and yes, extending back through decades to a very silly but awesome RPG of my childhood.

This is a single-player game, of course, and this has been a very personal experience for me, in a way that's impossible to share. At the same time, through the nature of crowdfunding and these forums, I feel that the developers, my fellow mods, friends and enemies on the forum, the gaming press, and the RPG community at large have all been with me in ways large and small, not just in every board post, but through every dialogue, every save scummed safecrack, and every random trash combat. Whether you know me well or have no idea who I am, you reading this right now are a part of my Wasteland 2 experience, and I want to thank you, because it's touched me beyond words.

You may not literally be in this screenshot, but I wanted to share a "group photo" anyway. Just like with the original Wasteland before it, 20+ years from now, this will be a time I'll look back on and think "those were the days".

Thanks again, everyone. This means you. Say "cheese!"

Binary-Blues16
Novice

Re: I Finally Finished Wasteland 2.

Post by Binary-Blues16 » May 23rd, 2016, 9:51 pm

I'm cut from a slightly different cloth regarding this game. I'm what most would call a noob. I'm an old school PC gamer, there's not doubt, but while I enjoyed games like Baldur's Gate, I never actually played Wasteland , XCOM, or Fallout. Neither was I aware of a Kickstarter for Wasteland 2. I'm just happening by, noticed Wasteland 2 for PS4, read about it, and became sold on the concept alone. Now, I'm hooked. Too far into the game to "re-roll", my ragtag group is in Rail Nomad Camp talking to too proud borderlining on stubborn Kakkehbah. I enjoyed what you wrote. I feel I missed out on the what breathed life into this game, but it lives on! I'm proud to display the final product with my collection.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » May 24th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Congrats Zombra! *slightly misty eyed* I'm glad to have been part of the journey.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

Grufty_Boy
Initiate

Post by Grufty_Boy » July 3rd, 2016, 3:30 am

When finished, is it possible to export your party and replay again like in BG/IWD?

Really love the idea of going back through and fixing my mistakes and being OP and getting every piece of loot etc. FYI I'm on console version (have owned PC copy since kickstarter, but my PC has since shit itself and thus am now on the xbox version).

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 3rd, 2016, 1:02 pm

On PC, you can. However, at least in vanilla, the level cap was still there, so character growth was pretty limited, but you could certainly go stomp around as level 45-50 fearmongers.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » July 4th, 2016, 9:27 am

Drool wrote:On PC, you can. However, at least in vanilla, the level cap was still there, so character growth was pretty limited, but you could certainly go stomp around as level 45-50 fearmongers.
Wait, you're telling me that the level cap has been removed in DC?

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 4th, 2016, 11:28 am

madmaxthc wrote:
Drool wrote:On PC, you can. However, at least in vanilla, the level cap was still there, so character growth was pretty limited, but you could certainly go stomp around as level 45-50 fearmongers.
Wait, you're telling me that the level cap has been removed in DC?
All he's saying is the level cap was not removed in vanilla.

(OK OK, I'll answer your real question. It wasn't removed in DC either.) :)

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » July 5th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Zombra wrote:
(OK OK, I'll answer your real question. It wasn't removed in DC either.) :)
Oh, you're the ranger with the " * ass " abilities... :roll:

Thank you smarty pants, I appreciate your help :mrgreen:

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 5th, 2016, 5:13 pm

lol :)

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » July 6th, 2016, 7:28 am

Playing the game after 2 years, without all the bugs? Where is the fun in that.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Vampiresbane
Initiate

Post by Vampiresbane » July 12th, 2016, 9:46 am

What's "BG/IWD"?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 12th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale, I assume.
Alwa nasci korliri das.