Question about Director's Cut LORE

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

SelphieSelfie
Novice

Question about Director's Cut LORE

Post by SelphieSelfie » March 31st, 2016, 5:00 pm

Hey guys I was hanging out here a year ago when I was still actively playing this game.

I know the Director's Cut was released this year and as far as I know only graphics and gameplay elements have been changed
I'm considering picking it up but I need to know a few things:

Do we find out what happened to team Foxtrot?

Are the skill point checks faster when disarming traps, opening locks?

Has the method of learning about lore been changed?

One of my main problems with the original game was that just to learn the lore behind a place you had to pick up these random documents chopped in parts out of order (for example farmer's diary part 1, part 6....), some of which are stored in random containers. Is this still the case for the DC?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Question about Director's Cut LORE

Post by SagaDC » March 31st, 2016, 9:31 pm

SelphieSelfie wrote:Do we find out what happened to team Foxtrot?
No.
SelphieSelfie wrote:Are the skill point checks faster when disarming traps, opening locks?
Possibly, but I haven't really noticed any significant difference.
SelphieSelfie wrote:Has the method of learning about lore been changed?
No. You still need to find and read various books or pamphlets to learn about the in-game lore, and those are still scattered randomly around many of the maps. The Director's Cut does change some of the books' contents and locations, though.

For the most part, the bulk of the changes for the Director's Cut version of the game were on a mechanical and graphical level. The game looks and sounds better, and there are some shiny new mechanics like Perks and Aimed Shots to play with, but the story and the ways you interact with the world have been left largely untouched (aside from some general bugfixes here and there).

SelphieSelfie
Novice

Post by SelphieSelfie » April 1st, 2016, 4:38 am

SagaDC wrote:
SelphieSelfie wrote:Do we find out what happened to team Foxtrot?
No.
What the hell?! Why did they even bother releasing a Director's Cut if all they added was graphics and mechanical changes!!?
I was looking forward to this DC edition last year! :x

Might as well wait for Wasteland 3...

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » April 1st, 2016, 7:05 am

SelphieSelfie wrote:What the hell?! Why did they even bother releasing a Director's Cut if all they added was graphics and mechanical changes!!?
The main purpose of the DC was to use the new Unity5 engine allowing better graphics, support for more platforms and easier modding. There never was talk of new content/quests in the DC. The new character system (with traits & perks) is the only significant in-game content change, but it's a very positive one (justifying in itself a replay of the game, to me).

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » April 1st, 2016, 5:06 pm

Another change that some people have appreciated a lot is the ability to select a skill from the group. E.g.: when you have selected the full team, right click on a locked container, you can select the skill to use, and the ranger with higher skill level will act. Speeds things up, especially if you have to disarm a trap, neutralize the alarm and pick the lock.

And don't underestimate the changes to the combat system, they added more tactical depth, also considering combat difficulty was re-scaled.
In one sentence: I loved the DC edition!

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 1st, 2016, 5:35 pm

While we would have loved to do more with the Director's Cut (we always want to do more!), ultimately it was decided the focus would be on - aside from console support - engine and graphics updates, more voice acting, extra game mechanics and systems, balance tweaks, etc. Those were the things our fans said they wanted most, and what we felt was most feasible given our team size and resources for the Director's Cut.