Backwards port to PS3?

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

firefighter26
Initiate

Backwards port to PS3?

Post by firefighter26 » January 15th, 2016, 9:44 am

Just wondering if you guys (developers) have given any thought to a backwards port of Wasteland 2 from the PS4 to the PS3 as a digital download on the Playstation Network?

Now before everyone jumps onto the bandwagon and says the PS3 is obsolete and outdated, I'd like to point out that with 80+ million units sold, even if a quarter of them (20 million) units are still in active service that's a fairly big marketplace. I spent the other day doing inspections at the mall and in talking with one of the sales person at the local game shop there their claim was that sales for even reconditioned PS3s are still outpacing PS4 sales for their retail chain because the system is widely available and games are in abundance. Add to the fact that PS3 games look decent on HDTVs and even though the PS4 is the latest generation, a lot of people still use their PS3s.

I'm not suggesting a ton of time be spent on backwards porting, but forward porting of games from the PS3 to the PS4, like The Last of Us, have been highly successful. Just wondering if any through had been given, or even a cost/benefit analysis of a backwards port to take advantage of a market place that despite being almost 3 years since the PS4 game, still does well for itself.

I don't own either system at the moment but I have been enjoying Wasteland 2: DC immensely. It's been a long time that a game grabbed my interest like it has; probably because I've always been a huge CRPG fan and it fills a void that many games ignore. It would be a shame for a large audience to miss out on a great game that I am thoroughly enjoying.

Marionettetc
Initiate

Re: Backwards port to PS3?

Post by Marionettetc » January 15th, 2016, 2:36 pm

There's no shot the PS3 could run it, it already clunks along on the PS4.

firefighter26
Initiate

Re: Backwards port to PS3?

Post by firefighter26 » January 18th, 2016, 11:19 am

Huh, I wouldn't have thought that the game wouldn't stress the resources on either platform. I run it on my mid-grade laptop with decent enough graphic settings and it seems fine other than the laptop wanting over overheat, which is common for laptops. I corrected that issue by modifying the case with additional ventilation ports and wiring up a custom made cooling platform, with X4 80mm fans from a few old towers I had in the garage, to sit directly under it. Been running great ever since.

I wonder if it's just not very well optimized? That's a shame. I am thoroughly enjoying the game and by extension I'd like to see others enjoy it too!