The look of the items

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

infestor
Explorer

The look of the items

Post by infestor » March 11th, 2012, 10:27 am

there is already a suggestion about this in google moderator:
"Full color, detailed item icons, used also in trading screens. Some Bethesda games for example feel like you character is carrying, buying and selling a bunch of data instead of something concrete, because they have very bad pictures for the items."
i agree, if there will be a graphic inventory. e.g. arcanum, ps:t, diablo ii and to some extend fallout 1 & 2 items looked fantastic in the inventory, the detailed artwork was fantastic. what do you think?
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine."
—Banksy

undecaf
Explorer

Re: The look of the items

Post by undecaf » March 11th, 2012, 11:08 am

Agreed.

I rather have a graphic inventory (with item descriptions) than a shoppinglist of items. Better yet, if there was a grid in which the items would have to fit.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

infestor
Explorer

Post by infestor » March 11th, 2012, 11:13 am

undecaf wrote:Agreed.

I rather have a graphic inventory (with item descriptions) than a shoppinglist of items. Better yet, if there was a grid in which the items would have to fit.
yes a grid-ed inventory is way better than fallout's scrolling (tedious) inventory.
—Banksy

Tanglebones
Explorer

Post by Tanglebones » March 11th, 2012, 2:05 pm

I don't mind a list-based inventory, I also don't mind a graphical inventory. One inventory design I'd really like to see make it into the game is maybe a paragraph of text description for every item in your inventory.

I also think that in a party-based RPG (especially if it's going to feature turn-based tactical combat), it's important to have each character have an inventory, as opposed to a party-wide inventory pool, so that you can't just trade healing items or ammo if your squad is in two different areas of the map.

shamroxor
Initiate

Post by shamroxor » March 12th, 2012, 1:11 pm

The move away from individual item art in recent years along with other other 'streamlining' descisions is something i'd like to see less of in this brave age of indie development.

Having a colorful inventory with jury rigged radios, rifles held together with twine and rusted cans of 'chow' will be well worth the extra work and expense.

Verbose Item descriptions and individual inventories too please!

Citronvand
Novice

Post by Citronvand » March 12th, 2012, 2:35 pm

I'm a big fan of the inventory system used in Neverwinter Nights and Diablo. It's a grid based system but the items have different sizes. I don't like when all items is 1 square big since it is usually harder to see what you are actually carrying.

Tuco
Scholar

Post by Tuco » March 12th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Menu based inventories are an inexplicable modern plague since consoles become so relevant (and I honestly wonder why, as they are quite unpopular even on consoles).
Grid based, graphic inventories are *definitely* the way to go.

infestor
Explorer

Post by infestor » March 12th, 2012, 2:41 pm

(at least for me) artworked items in inventory besides their gorgeous outlook actually makes me more attached to the items. if it is even a rare/unique item with very distinct artwork then i really become "happy" :D i mean, as if that unique item is actually worth something in reality.
for instance look at this artwork on crossbows from diablo 2 (i know the same won't be possible for w2 since these are magical items, but:)
—Banksy

Proton Axeman
Explorer

Post by Proton Axeman » March 13th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Grid-based inventories are inefficient at letting you represent a lot of items of different sizes, restricting what you can actually put in the game.

Frankly, I'd very much rather prefer a list/menu-based approach with certain sorting mechanisms (the obvious being by associated skill, by general category, by weight -- and, when talking with a merchant, price and price/weight ratios). These can be *very* efficient, and unlike a console gamer we'll pretty much always have access to full-size keyboards for rapid navigation.

chodes
Initiate

Post by chodes » March 14th, 2012, 12:36 am

Detailed, drawn items are a must. A right-click to open info box would be sweet, kinda like in Icewind Dale with a blurb, stats and picture, etc.

runciter
Initiate

Post by runciter » March 14th, 2012, 3:32 am

Regarding gridded layout with differing item sizes: I want to play the game, not Inventory Tetris.

Alaseur
Acolyte

Post by Alaseur » March 14th, 2012, 4:00 am

runciter wrote:Regarding gridded layout with differing item sizes: I want to play the game, not Inventory Tetris.
Soooo many free MMO's...

Deux
Initiate

Post by Deux » March 14th, 2012, 5:35 am

It could easily be a mix of the 2? In the inventory it could be text with information but you can right click and examine and you get the detailed image. But in the characters paper-doll you get to see the images from start ala Diablo style?

//Deux