Collector's Edition

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Jozape
Explorer

Re: Collector's Edition

Post by Jozape » March 6th, 2012, 5:15 am

Thinking about what I'd actually like to see for a Collector's Edition:

Call it something more like interesting like the 'Desert Rangers Edition', of course.
The game itself, I hope!
Documentation that explains every little aspect of the game. Or in other words, a great manual.
Soundtrack. Preferably in a lossless format.
Maps, in case the levels are complex enough to need that kind of thing. Making a good in-game reason for us to use that physical map(or digital for those who don't want clutter) would be a nice bonus.
Art, to help us get into the mood and setting of the game.

Developer commentaries and interviews would be okay too. I'd rather have all the former first though.

Bonecrusher
Acolyte

Post by Bonecrusher » March 6th, 2012, 8:01 am

today's collector's editions always come with DLCs, artbooks and music cd's.
you can buy those seperately. it just a prepaid normal edition.

i don't want to see such a collector's edition just to follow the trend.

what I want?
a cool box (maybe a metal/tin case)
a signed copy of a previous game
signed photograph of the team
keychain, note paper, cloth map, sticker, etc... of the game
behind the scenes bluray with great details (not just a teaser)

you know, the things that a collector wants. you can already buy that dlc, you can already buy that artbook or the soundtrack.
but a solid material that you can feel the worth is way better.
think about the collector's editions of 90s games.

Shane_for_Wax
Initiate

Post by Shane_for_Wax » March 6th, 2012, 11:09 am

1) Physical soundtrack
2) a physical momento. Morrowind had a septim, Fallout had the bobbleheads and the Pip-Boys. Something that defines Wasteland should be included.
3) None of these silly DLCs that you can only get if you buy it new.
4) A tin case. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.
5) Cloth map
Character: Male, 25, Caucasian, weapon of choice: laser carbine
Real Life: Male, 23, tan, weapon of choice: Mosin Nagant

Quarex
Scholar

Post by Quarex » March 6th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Some of the recent posts are on the right track--physical memento appropriate to the game, autographed something-or-other ...

But what I want is a re-make of the original Wasteland team desert photoshoot with this game's designers. Ken St. Andre mentioned to me (and elsewhere) that it was the best picture ever taken of him, and I imagine surely other people on the team would feel the same way.

(Or, you know, let us pre-order the deluxe edition and come join in the photoshoot as background post-apocalyptic characters; what do you mean, that would be a logistical nightmare?)

I tried for a few years to track down the artist who painted the original Wasteland art to see if he still had the original available (I am sure not), but surely someone important involved in this project knows who has it and could make high-quality prints as part of the deluxe edition?

Redhawk
Initiate

Post by Redhawk » March 6th, 2012, 10:37 pm

I'd like to see a soundtrack for C64 version of Wasteland:
Track 1: Air raid siren
Track 2: Footstep
Track 3: Explosion
Track 4: Geiger counter click
Track 5: Promotion fanfare

sync-oz
Acolyte

Post by sync-oz » March 7th, 2012, 3:59 am

Personally:

- Not interested in a soundtrack, can't recall ever listening to a game soundtrack outside of the game. And vinyl - sheesh even CDs are old now it's all digital on flash now man ;)
- A map and manual sound awesome. A nice map I'd stick on my wall.
- Not a fan of the dodgy DLC additions for people purchasing different versions of the game.
- I bought the F3 collectors edition, first collectors edition I've ever bought as I was so excited about another Fallout, but to be honest it was a bit of a let down. Lunch box wasn't like a real post-nuclear lunchbox (minus the radiation) and was too heavily branded. Never did watch the DVD or more than flip through the book. Bobble head is on a shelf and was kinda cool which is odd as I didn't think I'd like it.
- The idea of a print does sound cool, that's one of the few ideas I've heard that takes my fancy. But like all art it's so subjective, the print would have to grab me for me to want to purchase the edition with it in.

Finster
Initiate

Post by Finster » March 7th, 2012, 4:38 am

I can't remember a collectors edition I ever had to have. None of them add anything of real value. Why not devote all the extra money it takes to come up with the collectors edition add ons and throw that money back into developing an amazing game?

We know the soundtrack is going to be awesome and that would be easy to release on it's own maybe a kickstarter perk or even for a couple bucks extra to help fund the game.

Flamekebab
Acolyte

Post by Flamekebab » March 7th, 2012, 5:15 am

sync-oz wrote:Personally:

- Not interested in a soundtrack, can't recall ever listening to a game soundtrack outside of the game. And vinyl - sheesh even CDs are old now it's all digital on flash now man ;)
CDs are old and as such there's no advantages in the format any more. However Vinyl still has appeal for me for several reasons but chief among them is that I can't listen to vinyl like I can a CD. A CD/download I can skip through the tracks at the push of a button, with vinyl it's much harder and so I find myself sitting there listening to the album as a whole, not individual tunes. Also there's much more room for pretty artwork on vinyl sleeves!
sync-oz wrote:Never did watch the DVD...
That's a shame. The DVD is pretty good. I downloaded it to see what was on it and was pleasantly surprised.

RangerBen
Global Moderator

Post by RangerBen » March 8th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Redhawk wrote:I'd like to see a soundtrack for C64 version of Wasteland:
For the win! Sadly, I think the IBM-PC version would have less tracks!!!

Did the C64 or Apple ][ have a full-auto sound? That's one the IBM-PC had, anyway. :)

Just remembered--ha! http://wasteland.rockdud.net/underground.html#sound

Nex
Initiate

Post by Nex » March 8th, 2012, 11:03 pm

As long as there is a decent cloth map I am happy, I lstill pull out the ones from the ultima games sometimes :D

Never bothered with things like artbooks but tins are cool.

Bill
Initiate

Post by Bill » March 10th, 2012, 5:49 am

Sorry to bump the thread, but I just noticed this
Previous rewards + Early release episodic Novella’s on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game.
I just wanted to say thank you for actually listening to me, like it actually made me go a little gooey inside. So very appreciated, you lot are like my development heroes, the original wasteland was the first rpg I ever played. It was at the tender age of 6 and the early 90. I had a C64 and friends and family that had stuff for it they didn't want dumped it on me.

The game left a massive impression on me and soon after I was learning basic and making my own very simple games. Somehow between then and now I lost those skills, but the memory of that game is still so strong. Wasteland taught me about good game design decisions, so it really meant a lot to see an idea taken up.

Thank you.

I'll be getting the highest kickstarter package I can afford, I'm planning to sell some stuff to get a tier I wouldn't normally have considered, but this changed my mind :D

kgreene
Initiate

Post by kgreene » March 12th, 2012, 5:12 pm

RangerBen wrote:
Redhawk wrote:I'd like to see a soundtrack for C64 version of Wasteland:
For the win! Sadly, I think the IBM-PC version would have less tracks!!!

Did the C64 or Apple ][ have a full-auto sound? That's one the IBM-PC had, anyway. :)

Just remembered--ha! http://wasteland.rockdud.net/underground.html#sound
Yeah the apple II version had the full auto sound. It had the air raid siren and other misc sounds for the start up movie. It had walking and the geiger counter. Offhand I'm not sure, I think those other sounds were in there but now I'm not sure (explosion/promotion). I'll look during my ongoing replay...

Speaking of the collector's edition, does anyone know if one of the box types will be a flat album style gatefold box like the original wasteland? I'd love to stick them both together...:)