Collector's Edition

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Dominus
Initiate

Collector's Edition

Post by Dominus » March 5th, 2012, 2:24 pm

I hope a collector's edition of the game will be made eventually and will include as a bonus the Soundtrack CD (not download)!
Also maybe a an artbook or a cloth map, a poster suitable for framing or a metal coin, and why not a book with a story in the Wasteland universe!
http://www.pandemoniumart.net - concept artist//illustrator//art director

BrotherMagneto
Acolyte

Re: Collector's Edition

Post by BrotherMagneto » March 5th, 2012, 2:26 pm

I would kickstart an extra $50 for that! +1!

felipepepe
Initiate

Post by felipepepe » March 5th, 2012, 2:30 pm

BrotherMagneto wrote:I would kickstart an extra $50 for that! +1!
+2!
フエフエ

Jack Dandy
Scholar

Post by Jack Dandy » March 5th, 2012, 3:46 pm

+3.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 5th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Haha. I wouldn't worry about it, guys, something will be in there that will very well meet your needs.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Flamekebab
Acolyte

Post by Flamekebab » March 5th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Soundtrack on vinyl. If we're going physical medium, we're going all the way. A CD might as well be a download.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » March 5th, 2012, 4:29 pm

I'll be happy with a download, as long as the download is the lossless versions of the tracks. Then I can burn them to a disc if I need.

Bill
Initiate

Post by Bill » March 5th, 2012, 5:40 pm

I'm not being funny guys, but if there is going to be a CE, I'd rather it wasn't the usual pointless pile of shit version that you get with games these days.

I wouldn't read and artbook, wouldn't use the map and would rarely listen to the CD and let's not even start on a making of figure.

If there's deluxe DLC i'll shit blood and mourn the souls of my long term favourite developers.

Also no statues.

I know this might not be a popular or obvious standpoint, but I'm pretty much sick of being offered pointless tat as if it's some sort of bonus. Not to mention if I'm going to be partially responsible for funding this I really want to get something worthwhile.

Just what that is, I currently couldn't say. I just want an end to the current focus on passing off shit for gold.

felipepepe
Initiate

Post by felipepepe » March 5th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Flamekebab wrote:Soundtrack on vinyl. If we're going physical medium, we're going all the way. A CD might as well be a download.
Now here's a smart man! I would fucking pay a lot for a CE with a vinyl soundtrack (if the tracks end up being good). 8-)
フエフエ

infestor
Explorer

Post by infestor » March 5th, 2012, 5:43 pm

collector's editions are just extra money traps of modern times. can't they put the extra stuff on the net? nooo, it has to come with an expensive box.
(forget what i wrote, i'm 180° aligned now :) )
Last edited by infestor on March 10th, 2012, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine."
—Banksy

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 5th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Bill wrote:Just what that is, I currently couldn't say. I just want an end to the current focus on passing off shit for gold.
So basically, you have nothing to suggest except stuff you don't want? Fruitful.

It's a Collector's Edition. It's for collectors, and like most collectors stuff it's about sitting there looking pretty, not about being useful. The game is useful, so if that's all you want, just buy the game. Some of us like having a little more to put on our shelves.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Bill
Initiate

Post by Bill » March 5th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Then you're the problem and the fact that developer market things to you is depressing and offensive.

I'd love to spend some extra cash, but honestly I'd rather it went into development rather than a replica giant carrot or some such bullshit. Now given that this kick starter model is going to be funded by us I saw an opportunity to side step this unfortunate alley that modern games sales has taken and get something I'd actually want for a change.

What I'd personally like to see, given that the game is likely going to go the digital distribution route. Is a nice boxed copy, something reminiscent of the old school days. A large box, with a decent manual. Something along those lines, as I thought part of the idea of this game is that it's a throwback.

Hell I tell you what I'd bloody well love to see. A novella written by Stackpole (I've read a lot of his BT stuff and it's fun, if not a little clichéd) taking place within the universe.

There's plenty I'd like to see pal, just because I didn't have the goods then and there is no excuse to climb up my ass and try and lay your eggs there.

To summarise, I'd like to be surprised and receive something that's actually worth the money for a change.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 5th, 2012, 6:34 pm

As Fargo already made public, there will be a $50 old-style box, with a manual and map.

You will probably be pleasantly surprised by some of the digital stuff that will be on offer. But yes, a CE will also be on offer. If you want to pay more but not get the CE so that the money is saved for development, well, Kickstarter allows that too.

I don't agree it's a problem though, nor are you offering any rationale behind why it would be a problem. It's not an either/or proposition. CEs are like marketing, so the extra cost is offset by the extra money people put in, and the rest of it goes back into development. I don't think it's a large enough niche to really be a problem, not compared to, say, pre-order DLC or nickel-and-dime style DLC. Your issue with CEs seems to be they offer nothing for you to use. So...don't buy them?
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

TellarHK
Initiate

Post by TellarHK » March 5th, 2012, 6:43 pm

I'm with Bill on this, actually. The gaming industry has been pretty heavily crapping up the shelves with big, elaborate packages full of plastic crap that really just clutters a place up a week after you buy it.

Something like Wasteland 2, especially as a Kickstarter project, does deserve something a little more special being offered as an option. I'd like to see something classy as a "Kickstarter" kit, like a framed concept art repro (or non framed), a copy of the game in a nice box - maybe wooden, who knows. But whatever it is, don't make it plastic, ephemeral crap. This is something that to the people who will pay for it, is closer to an heirloom than anything else.

As a Kickstarter project, I'd like to see more of the "Art Book" type material available for viewing during the production phase. Let us see (a largely spoiler free) window into the process of development. How does the blood sausage get made?

Bill
Initiate

Post by Bill » March 5th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Brother None wrote: I don't think it's a large enough niche to really be a problem, not compared to, say, pre-order DLC or nickel-and-dime style DLC.
I honestly see it as different symptoms of the same disease if I'm honest. I also didn't mean to snap at your heels here, It's going to take me a moment to adjust to the fact that I'm on a community that's going to be 85% neckbeard (myself included).

I know a lot of you guys are into the whole "collection" racket, but to me it's just pulp. I'd honestly like to see a third option, which is why I was so vague. I'm not certain just what exactly I want for my money. But consumerist crap that's just going to gather dust/never see the light of day when i stick it of the rest of the stuff I "had to have" isn't it.

Glad to hear about the old school boxing and maybe a few of you could chime in about the novella. I'd actually be quite happy to see that.

Edit: Tellar's ideas are also good, a reproduced cell framed or something like that, or even something actually related to the development of the project.

Flamekebab
Acolyte

Post by Flamekebab » March 5th, 2012, 7:28 pm

I'd like a nice print of scenic concept art, kinda like The Road To Denver.

Something I could put up on my wall that didn't immediately scream "power nerd". I've got quite enough geeky stuff around my house as it is but I do enjoy a nice bit of haunting art.

Edit: IMG tags work now.
Last edited by Flamekebab on March 6th, 2012, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

hellboy1975
Novice

Post by hellboy1975 » March 5th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Bill wrote:I'd love to spend some extra cash, but honestly I'd rather it went into development rather than a replica giant carrot or some such bullshit. Now given that this kick starter model is going to be funded by us I saw an opportunity to side step this unfortunate alley that modern games sales has taken and get something I'd actually want for a change.
Just a quick note that on Kickstarter, you nominate the money you'd like to contribute, and then select a level equal to or below that value. So if anyone want's to donate $100, and only take up the $50 "plain" package then that should be an option.

KristofferAG
Initiate

Post by KristofferAG » March 6th, 2012, 12:43 am

I'm really not looking forward to the higher tier rewards on the Kickstarter. I'm a student, I can barely put aside the 50 bucks I've planned on giving.

Though I'd probably be able to get a CE after summer, if I get a job. I'd love to see some vanity items. Especially maps, I've always loved maps for games, got Oblivion and RDR maps framed on the gaming wall. Can't really come up with much else, but the soundtrack would be awesome, I think, though that's not something I can make my mind up about quite yet, for obvious reasons.

X-pert74
Initiate

Post by X-pert74 » March 6th, 2012, 12:49 am

I almost never get collector's editions, usually because they just have things I don't care about in the least, like artbooks (just a waste of space to me). A soundtrack would be nice, as long as it was a complete soundtrack and not just a random sampling of maybe a quarter of the actual soundtrack. I could also go for a "making-of" documentary.
Last edited by X-pert74 on March 6th, 2012, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mabec
Initiate

Post by Mabec » March 6th, 2012, 2:02 am

This company makes custom made LPs, would really like to see something like that.

http://recordpressing.com/