Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Phil5000
Initiate

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Phil5000 » November 4th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Hudson wrote:I was just thinking about this the other day, are these features going to be added in a later update? I mean, honestly if it comes down to it I'd gladly pay a couple bucks for DLC with customization and a ton of portraits.
Same here.

I went back to playing the original Wasteland for this reason (I can't play DC on my PC as its too old). I spent a good couple of hours searching through the wealth of portrait packs out there and started a new game with some great portraits. But in the end I switched back to the PS4 because the DC is just so much nicer. But its a real shame.

Phil5000
Initiate

Post by Phil5000 » November 4th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Bovrillor wrote:
Hudson wrote:I was just thinking about this the other day, are these features going to be added in a later update? I mean, honestly if it comes down to it I'd gladly pay a couple bucks for DLC with customization and a ton of portraits.
I've just contacted one of the devs directly asking for a hint regarding this issue.

I'm suspecting we'll never see this issue fixed, but I still hope for someday being able to play the game without "Ranger Team Circus-Freaks"

Will post response, if any is given.
Good one Bovrillor. Lets hope they give us a response.

Would anyone who has some knowledge about this know how hard it would be to implement this feature? Lets just say they do nothing more than add all the character portraits in the game to the character creator. How long would that take?

Hudson
Initiate

Post by Hudson » November 5th, 2015, 7:20 am

Using the PC version as a base of comparison, where you just place images of a specific size into Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Custom Portraits or whatnot, then theoretically you could patch an "import" function on the in-game character creator and make the target the PS4/Xbox's USB drive.

So yeah, it's very possible and wouldn't be astronomically hard to do, however inXile is a small team so I'm not sure how many resources they would want to pour into a released game when they have Torment in the works and now Bards Tale on the table.
“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” - Calvin & Hobbes

Bovrillor
Novice

Post by Bovrillor » November 5th, 2015, 11:11 am

You can't really use the PC version as a base of comparison, because PS4's media management is a closed system due to copyright issues and so forth. I don't believe it's possible for game code to access the machine's USB drive - if anyone has encountered a game that does have such a feature then please do correct me. The 'snapshot' feature should have been possible though, hell you could do it on PS3 games such as Dragon Age!

The one active developer on the forums, 'Sear', did respond to my private message - but then deleted his message before I was able to read it. I have no idea why, and he hasn't contacted me again.

However, patch notes have now been released - it looks like the ability to save custom rangers is enabled (yay!) - but no mention of console portraits. I presume this means we're stuck with the ridiculous (and somewhat racist) existing selection...

https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment. ... view&id=28

Phil5000
Initiate

Post by Phil5000 » November 5th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Hudson wrote:Using the PC version as a base of comparison, where you just place images of a specific size into Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Custom Portraits or whatnot, then theoretically you could patch an "import" function on the in-game character creator and make the target the PS4/Xbox's USB drive.

So yeah, it's very possible and wouldn't be astronomically hard to do, however inXile is a small team so I'm not sure how many resources they would want to pour into a released game when they have Torment in the works and now Bards Tale on the table.
Honestly I'd be happy with the ones that are already in the game.

Phil5000
Initiate

Post by Phil5000 » November 5th, 2015, 11:32 pm

Bovrillor wrote:
The one active developer on the forums, 'Sear', did respond to my private message - but then deleted his message before I was able to read it. I have no idea why, and he hasn't contacted me again.

However, patch notes have now been released - it looks like the ability to save custom rangers is enabled (yay!) - but no mention of console portraits. I presume this means we're stuck with the ridiculous (and somewhat racist) existing selection...

That's odd isn't it. Maybe he said yes then was told its a secret. Oh well. The news you can export your characters is welcome. I like to make up a full background for my Rangers and its somewhat tiresome entering it all over and over with a controller.

Bovrillor
Novice

Post by Bovrillor » November 6th, 2015, 9:16 am

Phil5000 wrote:
Bovrillor wrote:

That's odd isn't it. Maybe he said yes then was told its a secret. Oh well. The news you can export your characters is welcome. I like to make up a full background for my Rangers and its somewhat tiresome entering it all over and over with a controller.
I assume it was either that or he flipped out from me badgering him lol :lol:

I'm very relieved that you can export characters now. I also like to write bios for my dudes, and I've had to re-create my team about 20 times trying to get the characters to look 'right' (i.e. finding 4 portraits that I like which can actually be represented by in-game models).

Cbaoth
Initiate

Post by Cbaoth » November 8th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Or at the very least the ability to take a snapshot of your character like in the PC version.

Phil5000
Initiate

Post by Phil5000 » November 8th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Cbaoth wrote:Or at the very least the ability to take a snapshot of your character like in the PC version.
That would be good. The in game models look very good. I think they probably should have done that for the NPCs instead of trying to match a portrait to them.

Bovrillor
Novice

Post by Bovrillor » November 9th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Cbaoth wrote:Or at the very least the ability to take a snapshot of your character like in the PC version.
The devs have stated that this is 'impossible' to code on the console version.

Despite being a feature of Dragon Age Origins in 2009. On the PS3. Go figure.

vyvexthorne
Acolyte

Post by vyvexthorne » November 12th, 2015, 10:19 am

I'll state it again in hopes that somebody important enough will get the message to make a change. All they need to do for the portrait feature is add one extremely generic portrait. The ranger star on a black background would do fine. They could add several ranger stars on different color backgrounds so you can basically just assign a color to a character. It's simple. It would allow you to create your characters with absolutely no restrictions.

zavn
Initiate

Post by zavn » November 12th, 2015, 12:58 pm

vyvexthorne wrote:I'll state it again in hopes that somebody important enough will get the message to make a change. All they need to do for the portrait feature is add one extremely generic portrait. The ranger star on a black background would do fine. They could add several ranger stars on different color backgrounds so you can basically just assign a color to a character. It's simple. It would allow you to create your characters with absolutely no restrictions.
This idea is not the most ideal solution, but it would be way better than the current situation. I for one would use these portraits over the horrible choices we currently have. I hope someone in the loop is reading this.

Madrict
Initiate

Post by Madrict » December 30th, 2015, 7:43 pm

I just signed up to add a reply to this thread lol.

I love Wasteland 2 DC, it is a fantastic game. I am playing on PS4.

I am however disappointed at the lack of portrait options at character creation. The male portraits in particular have none that I like.

Any chance more portraits could be added? Some being more "regular looking soldier" types, lol.

That would be awesome!

fallander
Initiate

Post by fallander » January 8th, 2016, 9:35 am

Or they just need to find some humble artist who could provide his arts for free :D Like at the nexusmods where is plenty of such a great portraits! Well... we can dream on
Damn, if i could paint i would be delighted to do it.