What you Like/Dislike about WL2 DC!

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

brengler
Initiate

Re: What you Like/Dislike about WL2 DC!

Post by brengler » October 19th, 2015, 2:13 am

Boggles the mind why there isn't an option to scale the UI, especially when there IS an option to scale the HUD.

Having the UI take up the whole screen probably makes sense for the console versions where it's usually a big ass TV and couch setup but it's utterly pointless for a 27" monitor and my face about an arm's length away from it.

Also +1 for the old trading screen with the squad's inventory and the merchant's inventory all in one place for easy dragging and dropping stuff from one place to another. There are still people using a mouse, you know.

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 19th, 2015, 6:01 am

I have made it a good ways into California and feel I can do my checklist finally.

1. Some of the VA seems lazily done. Particularly in Angela's case but there are some others. Mainly in AG Center. Don't know about Highpool since I have never done a playthrough saving them first.

2. The Barter interface needs to go back to the old style. I'll never be used to this new one so please bring that back.

3 NPC disappearing bug needs handled for sure.

4. Custom character saves. I know your working on that though.

And that sums up the problems so far. Other than that I am enjoying the heck out of it. I want to give major kudos to the whole team for their work on California. The whole area that I've explored so far has been nothing but a blast to play and it just feels so much smoother. Particularly Rodia. And I was absolutely thrilled by the nice (not so nice) surprise waiting for my gang in Inglewood. Wow.
"I may grow old, but I will never grow up." ~Mark Twain

Whelp
Acolyte

Post by Whelp » October 19th, 2015, 12:02 pm

I agree with the OP.

A note on the new voice acting: their voice director must've really dropped the ball because some voiced characters actually *describe themselves*.
I.e. Werewolf Wally says "The man really looks like a werewolf" or something when you first meet him. Out loud. And there's at least 2 more characters that do that.

clibba
Initiate

Post by clibba » October 20th, 2015, 12:58 am

brengler wrote:Boggles the mind why there isn't an option to scale the UI, especially when there IS an option to scale the HUD.

Having the UI take up the whole screen probably makes sense for the console versions where it's usually a big ass TV and couch setup but it's utterly pointless for a 27" monitor and my face about an arm's length away from it.

Also +1 for the old trading screen with the squad's inventory and the merchant's inventory all in one place for easy dragging and dropping stuff from one place to another. There are still people using a mouse, you know.
I second the need for an option to scale the main UI.
I have a rather large monitor (two 30" Iiyamas to be precise) too, and with the screen-filling size and blown up controls, buttons and whatnot I noticed that it requires a lot more moving your eyes about on the screen. It's not gotten to the point of straining my eyes and/or neck yet but I could imagine that happening after a longer session. Not to mention the increased chance of a sore wrist for the longer distances you have to move the mouse about now.

Whelp
Acolyte

Post by Whelp » October 20th, 2015, 10:30 am

Not to mention the increased chance of a sore wrist for the longer distances you have to move the mouse about now
Haha, first world problems.

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » October 20th, 2015, 10:35 am

wasn't it that your highest skilled character would do the smithing anyway? did you try right clicking on the items in the inventory and select the respective option there?

Tiger-Stripes
Initiate

Post by Tiger-Stripes » October 20th, 2015, 1:23 pm

The game is great, it remind me a lot of good memories from fallout/fallout 2. I'm glad you're back in the business based on your roots.

I'm french and I really enjoy the effort you made for the translation (based on user's works, I know), even if I globally understand english, I appreciate to play in my natal language and that's why I bought the game unlike to Shadowrun from Harebrained Schemes. In that type of game with so much texts not having a translation is a flaw.

Anyway great work indeed but I dislike the lack of customization option for our characters and also the clipping bug with almost all the male outfits (mostly on the armpits).

I heard it wasn't the case in the previous version of the game and I don't understand why you took the decision to remove assets in your game and why you have remade some of them that in fact suffer to clipping bugs or misalignment.

Also the missing CNPC bug is a major disappointment, I stopped my playthrough because of it.

I'm sorry for my bad english.

brengler
Initiate

Post by brengler » October 22nd, 2015, 2:50 pm

Another small thing I don't like about the DC: The more easily recognizable spots where items are buried.

As I'm still boykotting the DC - is it just Ranger Citadel where the original subtle mounds have been replaced by these rock piles (why not just a big fat X or a sign pointing down with "Dig here" written on it?) or did they do that for the whole game?

darken92
Initiate

Post by darken92 » October 22nd, 2015, 3:58 pm

I have purchased the game twice, once for PC and once for XBox. My PC struggles so much I play the XBox only for the moment. It alos meant I never progressed very far previously

What I like:
* Much better sounds
* Much, much better look
* Perks and Quirks are a great idea (even if I would tweak then a bit)

What I dislike:
* Barter screen on the PC - made to be XBox friendly and in the process made it PC unfriendly. A step backwards

What I would like to see:
* Better portraits and artwork in character creation - original was poor, is still poor and on the XBox can not add my own (would pay for this, same as most XBox games)
* Add on adventures - more please (Would also pay a reasonable price for this as well)
* Greater ability to scroll in an out. Going to the "Map" is not a lot of help and if you do not know the game it can be real hard working out where you are and where you need to get to. So some sort of max scroll out would be handy.

Overall I think it is a great game and am happy to spend money on it. Post Apocalypse is my favourite setting so this and Fallout 4 will be my go to games. Well done

gallenmuur
Initiate

Post by gallenmuur » October 23rd, 2015, 5:11 am

darken92 wrote:What I dislike:
* Barter screen on the PC - made to be XBox friendly and in the process made it PC unfriendly. A step backwards
Sounds like Skyrim Vanila.

brengler
Initiate

Post by brengler » October 23rd, 2015, 5:24 am

brengler wrote:As I'm still boykotting the DC - is it just Ranger Citadel where the original subtle mounds have been replaced by these rock piles (why not just a big fat X or a sign pointing down with "Dig here" written on it?) or did they do that for the whole game?
Anyone?

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » October 23rd, 2015, 5:31 am

It's a safe bet the rock piles are everywhere....

gallenmuur
Initiate

Post by gallenmuur » October 23rd, 2015, 6:06 am

brengler wrote:
brengler wrote:As I'm still boykotting the DC - is it just Ranger Citadel where the original subtle mounds have been replaced by these rock piles (why not just a big fat X or a sign pointing down with "Dig here" written on it?) or did they do that for the whole game?
Anyone?
Every where I have been it has been rock piles except for graves.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » October 23rd, 2015, 6:07 am

What I like :

1. The trait/perk system, makes character building more interesting.

2. The improved graphics and sound (especially the voice-over on companions).

3. The new skill use interface, more efficient than having to first select the character.

4. Native 64-bits on Linux, no need for those nasty 32-bits compat libs anymore ;)

5. Improved/more varied random encounter maps.

What I dislike :

1. The new barter interface, more console-friendly but less PC-friendly.

2. The change of font, I liked the old one.

3. The new bugs (like disappearing NPC or memory/file descriptor leaks), but hopefully they'll be fixed soon in a patch.

What I wished they added :

1. A few additional content/side-quests (maybe allowing to save at least some of the civilians of the prison area, ...).

2. Some better unique weapons/trinkets dropped by boss or accessible as rewards of quests.

3. Some more portraits and models for character creations.

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » October 23rd, 2015, 9:26 am

kilobug wrote:What I like :

1. The trait/perk system, makes character building more interesting.

2. The improved graphics and sound (especially the voice-over on companions).

3. The new skill use interface, more efficient than having to first select the character.

4. Native 64-bits on Linux, no need for those nasty 32-bits compat libs anymore ;)

5. Improved/more varied random encounter maps.

What I dislike :

1. The new barter interface, more console-friendly but less PC-friendly.

2. The change of font, I liked the old one.

3. The new bugs (like disappearing NPC or memory/file descriptor leaks), but hopefully they'll be fixed soon in a patch.

What I wished they added :

1. A few additional content/side-quests (maybe allowing to save at least some of the civilians of the prison area, ...).

2. Some better unique weapons/trinkets dropped by boss or accessible as rewards of quests.

3. Some more portraits and models for character creations.
That's a good list. +1

Aeradom
Acolyte

Post by Aeradom » October 23rd, 2015, 11:57 am

I really like this game (first time playing) and sank almost 50 hours into it. That is, until companions disappearing which of course is a big dislike. As far as what I wished for, I wished they'd done a little more QA testing or something that would of caught that companion issue before releasing the game.

grifman1
Novice

Post by grifman1 » October 23rd, 2015, 8:55 pm

brengler wrote:Another small thing I don't like about the DC: The more easily recognizable spots where items are buried.

As I'm still boykotting the DC - is it just Ranger Citadel where the original subtle mounds have been replaced by these rock piles (why not just a big fat X or a sign pointing down with "Dig here" written on it?) or did they do that for the whole game?
Majoring in hand minor.

Juris
Acolyte

Post by Juris » October 27th, 2015, 11:54 am

The DLC is great. The perks may not set the world on fire but they are all better than nothing and really make characters different from each other. I do like the quirks as well for the same reason.

As stated a billion times hate the new barter screen, especially since double-clicking almost never works (but fortunately you can Ctnl-click to buy an entire stack).

Krampf
Initiate

Post by Krampf » November 5th, 2015, 2:28 pm

I really like the quirks and perks, the new right click skills interface, and the new graphics. It is nice to have the extra bits to explore at the first in Ranger Citadel, and the bit of extra loot gives more options for initial equipment. I am delighted that the new patch will let us save characters so that we don't have to start from scratch every time. Overall, this is an excellent DC.

The only thing I REALLY don't like is the new barter system. It takes several tries of double clicking to get it to sell an item, and then half the time it sells the next item too. I find my self having to save the game before every barter session, knowing that I will probably be unhappy with the results and need to reload. Could you adapt the same interface you use for the skills? Right clicking on an item, showing the option to sell or buy would be so much easier.

In the barter system, I also miss the "shopping cart" approach of being able to move all of the items you want to sell or buy into an area to see the total. I would often juggle items in and out to balance the total I needed. Now I find myself selling a lot of stuff that I could have used, and coming up a tiny bit short on being able to afford the item I wanted to buy. No way to get back the useful stuff, and still can't afford what I need. Yes, I can write down the price of each item, and keep adding and subtracting until I find the right combination, but it was SO MUCH easier the old way.

belsirk
Novice

Post by belsirk » November 7th, 2015, 2:13 am

What I like (With copy/paste)
- Graphics have been substantially improved over the original release.
- Maps have been overhauled and are much better designed than they were.
- Random encounter map variety and design shows definite improvements and are now enjoyable.
- Perks are a nice addition to the game and add another layer of customization
- CPU and GPU resources are lesser in California

What I don't like:
- The fact that NOT ALL the objects can be selected with the right click, and now you has a mix from the old system and the new one(by example some patients)
- The new voices records seem to be made careless, the best example: Werewolves first dialog, is the description of the character said by the character (This is even more sad because money was involved).
- The new bugs like missing characters (yeah fixed, but don't has senses that appeared), I mean, problem with perks? Ok, new strange bugs unrelated to the new contents ?
- The fact that now your disarming traps character, must be very close to the mines or will detonated them, PLUS some areas are hard to zoom enough (ok, maybe only nomads raid)
- The inviolable and default All-party selected mode
- The barter SYSTEM! is so ugly and slow! and unresponsive (I had sold items by error due that)
- In minor measure, the new font
- The ugly map interface in PC. I can't understand why I need to click, wait the blue line reach my target and THEN the PC begin to move, is a lot of wasted time
- Contrary to California, Arizona is making my engine to cry and crash (when I'm close to a area, the map begin to appear and disappear, revealing all the hidden places but crashing the game)

So, in general, right now I feel the DC more like a downgrade, or a poor work, mostly because many of the new things were made poorly.