What you Like/Dislike about WL2 DC!

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

MathieuG89
Novice

What you Like/Dislike about WL2 DC!

Post by MathieuG89 » October 17th, 2015, 6:55 pm

In this thread you can list what you like and dislike about Wasteland 2 Director's Cut. Try an make it as simple as possible and hopefully one of the devs will stumble upon it and actually listen to our opinions and suggestions.

What I like:
- Graphics have been substantially improved over the original release.
- Maps have been overhauled and are much better designed than they were.
- Random encounter map variety and design shows definite improvements and are now enjoyable.
- Perks are a nice addition to the game and add another layer of customization.
- Right clicking now brings a small UI with the squad members associated skills.
- Sound effects have been improved.
- Boss drops seemingly better loot than they did before.

What I dislike:
- Reduced camera zoom distance. (Thankfully inXile released a day one hotfix to address this issue)
- Typewriter font replaced by a generic, boring and harder to read font.
- Shop UI has been redesigned where "buy" and "sell" are on two separate pages and items have to be sold individually.
- Most quirks are either average, mediocre or unbalanced.
- No addition whatsover to the empty character creation screen. Content has even been cut.
- If you don't care about recruiting NPCs then charisma and luck are still worthless stats.
- No additional portraits have been added to the already unimpressive fews.
- Custom characters cannot be saved anymore. A feature we used to have before.
- Heavy weapons haven't been improved and they still cannot be modified.
- Cannot use quotation marks anymore when naming rangers which makes nicknames cluttered.
- New voice acting is too quiet and doesn't fit in.
- Being forced into squad grouped mode everytime you enter a new area or load a game is very frustrating.

Bugs:
- Vanishing NPCs
- Various UI bugs (Skills disapearing completely, Trinkets not updating stats, Secondary weapons not showing right away, etc..)
- There is now an annoying delay before choosing a location to send the squad on the map and the squad starts moving.

Suggestions:
- Allow us to pause the game so we can issue commands.
- Allow us to edit the description bio in our character's profile by clicking on it.
- Allow us to reorder the party.
- Add a few lootable containers to random encounters so there is more incentive to fight them.
- Add an option for the camera to be free moving during combat and not centered on which unit turn it is.
- Include the shovel to the new right-click UI.
- The list of ongoing/completed quests quickly becomes a mess. They should be sortable by location at least.
Last edited by MathieuG89 on October 19th, 2015, 1:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.

spiffy username
Initiate

Re: What you Like/Dislike about WL2 DC!

Post by spiffy username » October 17th, 2015, 7:06 pm

they took away the ski mask face

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 17th, 2015, 8:17 pm

MathieuG89 wrote:- Allow us to pause the game so we can issue commands.
Uh. Not understanding what you're trying to go for here. Outside of combat there is no need to pause. Simply choose the character and tell them what they should do. In combat... well, it's turn based so... I'm not seeing what you mean here. Please clarify. :?
"I may grow old, but I will never grow up." ~Mark Twain

Acid
Scholar

Post by Acid » October 18th, 2015, 1:17 am

Would like a option for the camera in combat to be free moving, not to auto center on whose turn it is, I find it very annoying. Was the same before DC too, thought they would've added an option to turn it off.

MathieuG89
Novice

Post by MathieuG89 » October 18th, 2015, 7:18 am

Otaku_Hanzo wrote:
Uh. Not understanding what you're trying to go for here. Outside of combat there is no need to pause. Simply choose the character and tell them what they should do. In combat... well, it's turn based so... I'm not seeing what you mean here. Please clarify. :?
I would like to have an option to pause the game so that I can better position my units where I want them before the fight starts. I find it very annoying when sometimes I only have time to place one or two of my units before they're seen by the enemy which triggers the fight.

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 18th, 2015, 7:41 am

MathieuG89 wrote:I would like to have an option to pause the game so that I can better position my units where I want them before the fight starts. I find it very annoying when sometimes I only have time to place one or two of my units before they're seen by the enemy which triggers the fight.
Okay. Yes. I agree on that but I was thinking more along the lines of allowing us the ability to start combat ourselves. Same thing to an effect. :)

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » October 18th, 2015, 8:02 am

Obviously it will never happen now, but I'd like to be able to reorder my party members and have formations to set up as they travel around. I can do this in just about any other party-based rpg like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin, etc. Heck even the old Baldur's Gate games have that. With W2 you go to individual character mode and can move them around, but it can be very tedious at times.

Playing Pillars (which has its own problems) really shows the clunkiness of the W2 UI. To transfer items between characters in W2 DC involves dragging across nearly the entire screen, from the upper right to the lower left. Pillars gets all relevant character stuff on 2 screens and its easy to swap items around. Party management shouldn't be such a "chore" as it is. Moving the portraits from the lower left to, say, lower right, the top, or vertically along the far right would make swapping items much easier and faster.

While the graphics and character dolls are much improved, there's now just basically one male and one female human face. That gets old really quickly, esp. with the male one. Every vendor, npc, and even my squad guys appears to be clones.

Finally, why in the world can we STILL not change the outfits on NPCs? I'm waiting and hoping that Blake Stone updates his character editor so that I can do that. Again, in almost any other rpg one can do that...including Pillars, which shows armor, etc.

At this point, let's just get the bugs fixed, inc. the vanishing NPC one...

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 18th, 2015, 9:40 am

ClashFan wrote:At this point, let's just get the bugs fixed, inc. the vanishing NPC one...
This. So much this. I'm afraid to let go of the ones I have at the moment. I've been keeping a slot open though waiting for the right one. What pisses me off is the NPC I could care less about is the only one I found back at Ranger Citadel when I returned. The thesaurus talking guy that Tinker messed with. Seriously? F that guy. :|

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » October 18th, 2015, 10:26 am

i like the new quirks & perks system, alltough some quirks probalby could get slight modifications to be more appealing.

I like the new graphics.

I like the new loot drops and the reduced crates.

i like the new vo, alltough some new lines have a different sound than the old ones, which is distracting.

i like how you can choose between skills when right-klicking on an object; i would like to see this for the shovel aswell! :D

Please fix the companion bug, the luck attribute bug, and the character creation shortcomings.

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » October 18th, 2015, 10:29 am

What I hope is the NPC bug fix is backwards compatible.
Otherwise I can see a lot of angry users
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

MathieuG89
Novice

Post by MathieuG89 » October 18th, 2015, 10:46 am

All cons/pros, suggestions and bugs have been added to the original list.

Aasdaasf
Initiate

Post by Aasdaasf » October 18th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Liked:
- Improved weapon and armor balance in general. In my opinion, this was probably the most important change for replay value. It was mostly done well.
- Improved graphics
- Improved maps
- The perk system
- Right-click skill menu automatically picks best character (if I remember correctly, this wasn't in the original?)

Disliked:
- Not possible to save characters in the character creation screen any more. If you want to restart with small adjustments you have to create them from scratch.
- UI bugs, especially in the character skills screen; for example, sometimes the learned "heavy weapons" skill disappeared completely from the UI during the game.
- No "notifications" in the character screen for unused attribute points/perk points. They went unnoticed for some time since I forgot to check those particular screens after leveling up.
- Shop UI was better in the old version. It isn't obvious that I should double click to buy/sell, tried to drag everywhere first.
- The list of ongoing/completed quests quickly becomes a mess. They should be sortable by location at least.
- Some skills are still completely worthless (like barter)
- Other weapons felt nicely balanced now, but Heavy weapons were still bad. The perks did not bring enough benefits considering all the drawbacks the heavy weapons have. Other guns just do everything better and more efficiently.
- I wish they had added at least some gameplay content that felt like it was missing in the original, such as actually figuring out the fate of Angela and her team.

Looks like my dislike list is bigger than the like list, but the dislikes are mostly minor issues. Overall the DC was a good update.

The quirks seemed mostly useless (too big drawbacks), although I haven't actually tried to play with most of them. The one that gave 2 extra APs was good though, a sniper with 12 AP and the deadeye perk is simply awesome :P

stormswrath
Initiate

Post by stormswrath » October 18th, 2015, 2:09 pm

I'll start by saying I play on ps4. It seems to me that most if not all of the other responses have been from pc players. I simply love the fact that this crpg has been brought to consoles. I've had some experience with the old baldurs gate games and loved them. Now finally console gamers are getting to experience what i feel are not just some of the best types of rpgs but best games period. True role playing with true challenge and gameplay that make you use your brain. Freedom and a lack of hand holding produce great experiences. I'm enjoying wasteland 2 dc so much and i just hope we console gamers continue to get crpgs brought to our systems if choice.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » October 18th, 2015, 2:44 pm

The only way to play the DC is on a computer at a decent resolution--practically anything about 1080P will do fine...;)

Basically, so far I like everything about the game and find little to dislike. Yes, I notice some bugs here & there...but that's just part & parcel for software of any kind--a game without bugs...well, let's just say that I've never seen one...;) These are pretty much minor so far.

Maybe I have an advantage in that I've waited until the DC to play the game. I played the Classic edition through to Highpool, but I chose to save Highpool in my first game over the Ag Center because, after all, you can live without food a lot longer than you can live without water...;) Anyway, with the DC I decided to save Ag Center, instead, and have been really impressed by the differences in the two actions. Lots of content there.

So that's where I am now...heading up to Highpool after saving the Ag Center, in the DC and my first play through.

I got this game as a part of the BTIV kickstarter, frankly not knowing if I'd like it because generally I'm not a big fan of post-apocalyptic games or movies or books (like Mad Max, etc.) What a surprise for me when I discovered the game had been patterned on the old UFO: xCom games I enjoyed so much long ages ago when those games were new! I'd seen the various attempts to reboot the games since the originals and have never been much of a fan of the so-called remakes because they all concentrated on "action" and a light sort of "squad strategy" and in so doing got the formula for the original games all wrong. The original games created a sense of impending horror and terror--a very creepy atmosphere--and they did it masterfully. They blended "research" and discovery as a main game element--and the reboots just did not create the same sense of palpable horror I felt from the originals.

But Wasteland 2 has nailed those elements down and does a masterful job of creating the same creeping terror atmosphere I loved in the original xCom games. The DC is a great improvement, imo, over the Classic version. What I'd love to see is a WL3 that involves aliens colonizing earth after the events in WL1 & WL2, wherein the original human factions are forced to unite in common cause to throw back the invaders as well as rebuild the planet after the war. My Gad, they could fire on all 12 cylinders with a game like that since I know because of this game that inXile could do it if anyone could pull it off...! I'd support that kind of a Kickstarter proposition in a skinny...;)

Dotstar
Initiate

Post by Dotstar » October 18th, 2015, 3:04 pm

I like a lot of the new features BUT I cannot stand the new buy and sell screen I loved when they were right next to each other and you could review what you were selling and buying. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem but the actual act of buying and sell (double click) is very unresponsive for example sometimes I only have to double click sometimes I have to click my mouse into submission to sell one item. The new screen actually seems like a step backwards if you ask me, as if this screen should have been in the original wastelands 2 and the old screen would have been in the DC.

vyvexthorne
Acolyte

Post by vyvexthorne » October 18th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Otaku_Hanzo wrote:
It'd be really good for laying down ambushes. . It's definitely how I liked to start combat in F1/F2 and Tactics. Start combat, move into positions and get the jump on enemies. Wasteland 2's camera angle and view range kind of limit the possibility of ambushes all together though. You have to be pretty close to even initiate combat with your sniper.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » October 18th, 2015, 5:55 pm

A major dislike for me is getting forced into Squad Grouped mode each time I change areas in the game. I have to click every time to shut it off, and when I forget, I end up doing this like wasting party ammo and running my whole group into poisonous fumes. Exasperating.

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » October 18th, 2015, 7:02 pm

MathieuG89 wrote:
Otaku_Hanzo wrote:
I would like to have an option to pause the game so that I can better position my units where I want them before the fight starts. I find it very annoying when sometimes I only have time to place one or two of my units before they're seen by the enemy which triggers the fight.
I suspect this behavior is by design for outdoorsman skill. With very high outdoorsman, you have better positioning and much more time to move squad members.

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 18th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Dork Mage wrote:I suspect this behavior is by design for outdoorsman skill. With very high outdoorsman, you have better positioning and much more time to move squad members.
Only in random encounters though. It's really not a problem for me though since I don't run everywhere in area maps. As long as you stay wary of what's ahead you can set up pretty nicely before combat. I just think having a way to initiate combat yourself would be nice but it's not a feature I'm going to petition for or raise hell to get. :P

Aasdaasf
Initiate

Post by Aasdaasf » October 18th, 2015, 11:38 pm

Otaku_Hanzo wrote:
Dork Mage wrote:I suspect this behavior is by design for outdoorsman skill. With very high outdoorsman, you have better positioning and much more time to move squad members.
Only in random encounters though. It's really not a problem for me though since I don't run everywhere in area maps. As long as you stay wary of what's ahead you can set up pretty nicely before combat. I just think having a way to initiate combat yourself would be nice but it's not a feature I'm going to petition for or raise hell to get. :P
Initiating combat worked well enough for me. Granted, I was mostly relying on my sniper but most of the time I was able to get her in a good shooting position, organize the rest of the team into defensive positions around her to handle the melee enemies and then to start the combat by a sniper shot.