Bring Back the Old Typewriter Font!

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Nibsy
Initiate

Re: Bring Back the Old Typewriter Font!

Post by Nibsy » October 15th, 2015, 2:41 am

If nothing else I agree that the old type of font gave the "wasteland" impression more than the new one. And unless there are some technical difficulties if we could get the option to choose which font we want would be great.

brengler
Initiate

Post by brengler » October 15th, 2015, 5:45 am

Agreed.
An option to bring the old one back would be much appreciated. Not only is it more easy on the eyes but more fitting with the setting as well.

phobos2077
Novice

Post by phobos2077 » October 15th, 2015, 7:57 am

+1 on bringing back the old font, at least as an option.

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » October 15th, 2015, 5:53 pm

I want the old font, too! It was much easier on my eyes...

friskay
Initiate

Post by friskay » October 15th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Old font all the way, would be great to see it return as an option to the new one.

MathieuG89
Novice

Post by MathieuG89 » October 15th, 2015, 7:11 pm

I agree, bring back the old font for Christ sake!

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 16th, 2015, 12:14 am

You may try scaling up the UI in the meantime. It simply makes the font larger, and pretty readable at 1920x1080. About 1.20 is nicely filling the screen width.

hericstrada
Initiate

Question about dialog fonts

Post by hericstrada » October 16th, 2015, 10:07 am

Hi guys, SEAR, BROTHERNONE (I know you from NMA^^) and all Inxile team!

I really appreciate what you are doing for us! I cannot compare the support we are getting from Inxile with any other big company in the market. You really have love for the game you made, and the community as well.

I know this is not a major problem, and I will be satisfied if there are a workaround that don´t need any more work from you.

I'm only wanted to change the font of the dialog window. I don't know if everyone is rendering in the same way, but in my monitor is pretty bad to read.

Here is my print:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... BD50A7FEA/

Thanks for the amazing game and support!

HericStrada

Ray
Scholar

Re: Question about dialog fonts

Post by Ray » October 16th, 2015, 10:18 am

You are definitely not alone there, as you can read here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13983
Unfortunately, there hasn't been a single dev-response about this since release.
My eyes hurt too from this font paleness and anti-aliasing, but if nothing changes then I guess we have to increase font size and maybe HUD size too to make the best of it. Or we just go back to the original version...

hericstrada
Initiate

Post by hericstrada » October 16th, 2015, 10:49 am

I'm sorry, i've open another thread in (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14131), but this have much more info about this situation so I'll stick here from now on.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 16th, 2015, 11:29 am

hericstrada wrote:I'm sorry, i've open another thread in (viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14131), but this have much more info about this situation so I'll stick here from now on.
Threads merged. Thanks hericstrada.

Magistross
Initiate

Post by Magistross » February 22nd, 2016, 5:35 pm

Bumping this age old thread just to post a screenshot where we blatantly see why the old typewriter font was better.

Red Baychowski's PCWS fine ASCII art all garbled up by the lack of monospacing. :cry:

Anyone has a screenshot of the pre-DC version ?

Luzeryn
Initiate

Post by Luzeryn » April 20th, 2016, 5:21 am

I wish someone would make a mod that changed it, I find the new font hard to read.

What I don't understand is why they went with this font instead of the original, when the new one is pretty similar to the one they used on Mac on the original version of the game and it was clearly worse there too.

burns
Initiate

Post by burns » May 17th, 2016, 7:02 am

Registered here to say i wish i had´nt started reading the mod forum, since now i´m missing the old font aswell!

After a bit of reading into it, i also think it´s not an easy fix, either modding or developer side.

1) Fonts cannot be touched through modding - (modding introduction article)
2) Unity manual says fonts have to be selected/added during development, and there´s a dedicated tool for changing fonts in your projects, obviously not an easy "flick switch" task.

Any further tinkering is pretty useless without knowledge about where a finished unity game fetches it´s used fonts.
Very likely stored in the game .exe, which elevates the problem into the realms of fairies & orks for my understanding :D

fountainhead
Initiate

Post by fountainhead » June 22nd, 2016, 4:44 pm

I want the old font back as well. The "typewriter" look fit better with the style of the game plus that ClearType antialiasing of the Arial font makes it blurry and hard to read.