I recommend having a party member with the Field Medic skill.

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

marceror
Adventurer

Re: I recommend having a party member with the Field Medic skill.

Post by marceror » October 15th, 2015, 9:06 pm

This recommendation is a little like recommending that a PB&J sandwich has peanut butter. Well, of course it should. :P

I'm referring to the thread title, just in case that's not clear.

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 15th, 2015, 9:26 pm

DarkWolf wrote:(Based on my experience from the original, Seasoned difficulty ) On the way to the Atchison's camp, a bridge, a rail thief gunner, 2 melee/gunslingers and a dug in sniper who I had to flank across rather open terrain.
Well, trust me, that layout is there but there's some added surprises as well as extremely close encounters that'll definitely test your mettle. I personally LOVE the new Atchison Camp. Brutal? Yes! Frustrating at times? Yes! Fun as all hell? You bet! :)
"I may grow old, but I will never grow up." ~Mark Twain

TheLocalHentai
Initiate

Post by TheLocalHentai » October 19th, 2015, 4:33 pm

PiPboy wrote:Alarm cutting is useful if you are planning on sneaking - but not exactly necessary.
Being able to defuse bombs is more essential as well as lock picking.

Being an Animal Whisperer rarely helps also - which is kinda sad. The animals you end up getting to "Assist you" are pretty much cannon fodder and rarely lasts a single fight. Would have been nice if you could get something akin to a death claw in Fallout.
That could be said about a lot of things. Point is, everything is useful and there will be situations that a couple of SPs would be beneficial to the team.

Also, disagree about Animal Whisperer, it's basically a one hit kill attack, which can turn the tide in early to mid games that involve animals. Not to mention that a high cap Lariat would pretty much guarantee a win.

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 19th, 2015, 6:22 pm

TheLocalHentai wrote:Also, disagree about Animal Whisperer, it's basically a one hit kill attack, which can turn the tide in early to mid games that involve animals.
Absolutely this. I am so glad I invested in that skill. I don't use it to grab a follower much, but it definitely has saved me time, ammo, and injury many times. And I love how an animal you use it on in combat breaks the time barrier and just runs off while it's still your turn. :lol: It has also proven very useful for quests as well. AW is definitely a skill I will use again on my next playthrough. :)
"I may grow old, but I will never grow up." ~Mark Twain

Highwayman667
Acolyte

Post by Highwayman667 » March 2nd, 2019, 10:37 am

One ? Bitch I have you two.

crimsoncorporation
Novice

Post by crimsoncorporation » April 10th, 2019, 2:05 am

PiPboy wrote:
October 13th, 2015, 5:38 pm
Being able to defuse bombs is more essential
It's actually not really necessary at all. Landmines can be defused efficiently with a shotgun, or something else with plentiful ammo (Final Assessment works well for instance). There will be a few booby-trapped crates you can't open, or rather you can, but the explosion will render the contents useless. But this only concerns less than a handful of random drops. You will also take a bit of damage on some booby-trapped safes if you open them, but nothing your medic can't take care of. If you want to compromise you can also take Takayuki as an explosive consultant if you will, and only bring him along for those missions where you need someone to defuse bombs. He can handle Arizona handily even without investing further into his skills, netting you some extra pipe bombs and grenades in the process.

PiPboy wrote:
October 13th, 2015, 5:38 pm
Being an Animal Whisperer rarely helps also - which is kinda sad. The animals you end up getting to "Assist you" are pretty much cannon fodder and rarely lasts a single fight.
Depends on your type of ranger. Chickens, goats and cows work really well with snipers (Vulture's Cry!) who are far away from the action, and there is a good supply of both in Arizona. It's a bit tricky to keep them alive during the slicer-dicer fights and against the suicide monks, otherwise it's just a matter of taking out the lobbers.

And by the way, safecracking isn't really needed either, apart from very few safes you can blow them open with explosives.

Highwayman667
Acolyte

Post by Highwayman667 » April 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm

crimsoncorporation wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 2:05 am
And by the way, safecracking isn't really needed either, apart from very few safes you can blow them open with explosives.
Sure you can, but you'll lose most of the items stored.

crimsoncorporation
Novice

Post by crimsoncorporation » April 11th, 2019, 12:34 am

Highwayman667 wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm
Sure you can, but you'll lose most of the items stored.
That's not my impression. You lose them all if it's a crate, but those open via brute force or lockpicking anyway. With a safe you just blow up the door, the rest remains intact.

Highwayman667
Acolyte

Post by Highwayman667 » April 11th, 2019, 4:05 am

crimsoncorporation wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 12:34 am
That's not my impression. You lose them all if it's a crate, but those open via brute force or lockpicking anyway. With a safe you just blow up the door, the rest remains intact.
Any confirmation on this ? Anyone :D ?

crimsoncorporation
Novice

Post by crimsoncorporation » April 11th, 2019, 4:56 am

You can try it for yourself... I think (if I remember correctly) there is one exception somewhere in Arizona (I forget where, but it contains nothing essential), but that's it.

There are some safes on which explosives are ineffective though, the one that contains the inverted four-leaf clover for instance. But those are very rare, I think it's only two or three total.

Gillsing
Explorer

Post by Gillsing » April 11th, 2019, 5:09 am

Highwayman667 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 4:05 am
Any confirmation on this ? Anyone :D ?
The electronic safe in Santa Monica will destroy some or all of its contents when blown up with TNT, but most safes that I have save-scummed get all the randomly rolled loot whether I safecrack them or blow them up after a critical safecrack failure. You can tell if items were destroyed since they'll leave clear junk items behind: Wood splinters, glass shards, and the like. You don't get those rolled randomly.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » April 20th, 2019, 7:15 pm

PiPboy wrote:
October 14th, 2015, 9:00 pm
Man I used to love Stitch.
Best damn shotgun surgeon in the wasteland.
I second that! :mrgreen:
I loved FOT, I still re-play it every now and then.

And playing Supreme Jerk in W2 taught me very quickly to have multiple medics :? By the end of the game every other ranger has at least basic surgeon skills. Better safe than sorry.