I recommend having a party member with the Field Medic skill.

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sVig
Initiate

I recommend having a party member with the Field Medic skill.

Post by sVig » October 13th, 2015, 3:17 am

I didn't. A party member then died in the second battle because I couldn't replenish health out in the field. So yeah, take a Field Medic. Then the game even said something like "All competent leaders always have a Field Medic in the party" on one of the loading screens. Wish it had said that sooner :?

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Re: I recommend having a party member with the Field Medic skill.

Post by IHaveHugeNick » October 13th, 2015, 3:48 am

Happened to all of us with our first party :)
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

sVig
Initiate

Post by sVig » October 13th, 2015, 3:55 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:Happened to all of us with our first party :)
I don't think starting it on Ranger difficulty on my very first time playing it helped either :|

Gestapo
Initiate

Post by Gestapo » October 13th, 2015, 7:25 am

I will play In ranger difficulty too. My first time playing too. What do you think about this difficulty?

Darkeus
Acolyte

Post by Darkeus » October 13th, 2015, 9:37 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:Happened to all of us with our first party :)
Yep. Heck, while you are at it OP, always have someone with Perception too. You will probably want to stop blowing yourself up sometime while playing. ;)

sVig
Initiate

Post by sVig » October 13th, 2015, 10:56 am

Gestapo wrote:I will play In ranger difficulty too. My first time playing too. What do you think about this difficulty?
I think it's pretty tough, certainly for the first time ever playing it. Hell, in only my 4th battle, after restarting it because of having a party member killed in my second battle, one of my team ran out of ammo. You have nothing at the start and I had no spare weapons to give said party member. Not even any melee weapons. So he resorted to using his fists but he missed with ever single attack :roll:

So I've knocked it down to Seasoned for now.

TheLocalHentai
Initiate

Post by TheLocalHentai » October 13th, 2015, 5:31 pm

I'm a FO vet and the first time I started was on Jerk mode with no medics, arrogantly thinking that everyone could heal themselves, even with just base heals, man was I wrong and didn't get very far.

This game really does need a team with specialization, even stuff like Alarm cutting is helpful throughout the game.

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » October 13th, 2015, 5:38 pm

TheLocalHentai wrote:I'm a FO vet and the first time I started was on Jerk mode with no medics, arrogantly thinking that everyone could heal themselves, even with just base heals, man was I wrong and didn't get very far.

This game really does need a team with specialization, even stuff like Alarm cutting is helpful throughout the game.
Alarm cutting is useful if you are planning on sneaking - but not exactly necessary.
Being able to defuse bombs is more essential as well as lock picking.

Being an Animal Whisperer rarely helps also - which is kinda sad. The animals you end up getting to "Assist you" are pretty much cannon fodder and rarely lasts a single fight. Would have been nice if you could get something akin to a death claw in Fallout.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

vyvexthorne
Acolyte

Post by vyvexthorne » October 14th, 2015, 12:04 am

That's funny.. first character I built was a charismatic doctor. I was pretty much thinking that all I'd be doing was dying so, .. talky doctor. I usually make a scientist/doctor with energy weapons now.. All they really need to do is hide and heal.

sVig
Initiate

Post by sVig » October 14th, 2015, 2:10 am

Erm, so yeah, might have been a better idea calling the topic "I recommend having multiple field medics and multiple surgeons in your party"... :|

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » October 14th, 2015, 3:07 pm

sVig wrote:I didn't. A party member then died in the second battle because I couldn't replenish health out in the field. So yeah, take a Field Medic. Then the game even said something like "All competent leaders always have a Field Medic in the party" on one of the loading screens. Wish it had said that sooner :?
I would think having a field medic would be common sense. I know that my first party has a medic & surgeon, and it's remarkable the use she's been so far. Don't leave home without one...;)

chargrilled
Acolyte

Post by chargrilled » October 14th, 2015, 5:21 pm

my first party had a medic/surgeon aswell.
but rose in ag center can double as one if you are stuck.

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » October 14th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Man I used to love Stitch.
Best damn shotgun surgeon in the wasteland.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

DesertRangerRedShirt
Initiate

Post by DesertRangerRedShirt » October 15th, 2015, 9:36 am

My current party is all custom, but I followed the premade rangers to some extent.

Ghost - Snipers, Perception, Alarm Disarming, & Weaponsmithing
Needles - Energy Weapons, Field Medic, Surgeon, & Bladed Weapons
Fuse - Heavy Weapons, Demolitions, & Computer Science
Snake - Assault Rifles, Safecracking, Lockpicking, Mechanical Repair, & Toaster Repair.

And I just finished the Highpool mission and no one has died yet! XD

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 15th, 2015, 11:57 am

All my Rangers have Field Medic. And as the game progresses, they'll all have Surgeon, too. Holdover from the original when vorpal bunnies whacked my medic character.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 15th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Drool wrote:All my Rangers have Field Medic. And as the game progresses, they'll all have Surgeon, too. Holdover from the original when vorpal bunnies whacked my medic character.
While I don't give all my rangers field medic to start I do like to give them it pretty early on in the game but I only have two who really concentrate on it. One being my sniper. Also, those two are the only ones who train in surgeon as well. But, like you, this was definitely something I learned from the original as well.
"I may grow old, but I will never grow up." ~Mark Twain

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 15th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Wow, you guys must do a lot more combat healing than I do. Multiple Surgeons makes sense of course for KO recovery, but healz0ring mid-firefight? Hmm, something to think about.

Otaku_Hanzo
Explorer

Post by Otaku_Hanzo » October 15th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Zombra wrote:Wow, you guys must do a lot more combat healing than I do.
Oh yeah. Heck, the new fights with the Rail Thieves would not have been do-able without either dropping the difficulty or utilizing my field medics. :o
"I may grow old, but I will never grow up." ~Mark Twain

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 15th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Zombra wrote:Wow, you guys must do a lot more combat healing than I do. Multiple Surgeons makes sense of course for KO recovery, but healz0ring mid-firefight? Hmm, something to think about.
It's more a matter of better safe than sorry. It also gets you more magic potions to start with. And it's only 2 points.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

DarkWolf
Initiate

Post by DarkWolf » October 15th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Otaku_Hanzo wrote: Oh yeah. Heck, the new fights with the Rail Thieves would not have been do-able without either dropping the difficulty or utilizing my field medics. :o
(Based on my experience from the original, Seasoned difficulty ) On the way to the Atchison's camp, a bridge, a rail thief gunner, 2 melee/gunslingers and a dug in sniper who I had to flank across rather open terrain. That was the first time I really had to make use of first aid, good thing I had a stockpile of medical supplies. As for giving every squad member first aid, it's useful and there is a roleplaying aspect to it considering every member of a modern state army recieves basic first aid training. Hell, even I got the job centre to pay for me to do a first aid course.

I went to a pub after the course and I was kacking myself. All these people eating, what if someone started choking. I ended up rereading the course handout as I drank my pint, fortunately I did not get the opportunity to be a hero.