(In game/town) Map

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

infestor
Explorer

(In game/town) Map

Post by infestor » March 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm

the (in game) map should have markers on it (take a look at ps:t's map http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/ ... 2-act9.jpg). if the town is really huge and without markers it becomes overwhelming to remember what's what (e.g. arcanum's tarant or new reno in fallout 2, holy smokes!).
i know this is gonna sound retarded but: walking around huge town maps is really tedious. should we have a teleport-like option by clicking on the map? :? or something alike comprimising the "real-ness" of the game.
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine."
—Banksy

derailedition
Initiate

Re: (In game/town) Map

Post by derailedition » March 9th, 2012, 2:50 pm

definitely no teleporting.

but markers would probably be ok, or at least optional markers-- like how you can put down markers yourself and write stuff on them on the planescape map. since that game was your example.

or maybe I think both of these marker types (automatic for major locations and manual for things you discover) should be optional, like a toggle in the options menu. or a toggle before you begin a game. I'm not completely sure what I think yet.

sweetcraspy
Initiate

Post by sweetcraspy » March 13th, 2012, 10:49 am

Definitely in favor of a map, but maybe not a smart map. If you have a map and a compass, but no "player-is-here" icon, you would have to navigate by landmarks.

An overall option would be a map with various levels of detail that are revealed as the player explores. Right away you would have a very basic landscape sketch showing mountains, rivers, and maybe the very biggest settlements or locations that are important to player characters (hometowns, etc). As you explore the land, the top layer is erased and the layer underneath shows more detail, like caves, roads and small settlements. If the design is done carefully, towns could be labeled right on the map instead of using a mouse-over icon.

Likewise, in town, you start with the shape of the settlement, uncover roads and the outline of buildings as you explore, and maybe add detailed drawings and names of important buildings as you enter them or read their signs.

infestor
Explorer

Post by infestor » March 13th, 2012, 10:59 am

i actually would like a "you-are-here" dot. i'm dumb and get lost often times. well, at least this should come optional (switched off by default)
—Banksy

Lirpakkaa
Scholar

Post by Lirpakkaa » March 13th, 2012, 11:54 am

You-are-here-marker is nice for especially the times when your party is split up and don't fit on 1 screen, and you want to have an overview on all their positions.

One example of a town where "teleporting" was definitely needed is ToEE's Hommlet. Sure, you could just skip those fetch quests and proceed, but if you wanted to do them the Co8-mods fast travel option (there was a sign next to the inn, that could send you next to whatever house you wish instantly) was really a blessing.

Another option is to just have it possible to speed up the game so that everything moves at 2x or 3x speed, then you don't have to wait while your guys walk but are still suspect to possible encounters on the way from a house to another.

infestor
Explorer

Post by infestor » March 13th, 2012, 11:58 am

Lirpakkaa wrote:You-are-here-marker is nice for especially the times when your party is split up and don't fit on 1 screen, and you want to have an overview on all their positions.

One example of a town where "teleporting" was definitely needed is ToEE's Hommlet. Sure, you could just skip those fetch quests and proceed, but if you wanted to do them the Co8-mods fast travel option (there was a sign next to the inn, that could send you next to whatever house you wish instantly) was really a blessing.

Another option is to just have it possible to speed up the game so that everything moves at 2x or 3x speed, then you don't have to wait while your guys walk but are still suspect to possible encounters on the way from a house to another.
great ideas. keep 'em coming fellas :)
—Banksy

Temaperacl
Scholar

Post by Temaperacl » March 13th, 2012, 2:03 pm

derailedition wrote:definitely no teleporting.
Teleporting is bad, but that doesn't mean you can't have quick travel of some sort, as long as it is reasonable in-game and not too convenient. I'm thinking of the Quartz sewers or the train in Needles.

Jack Dandy
Scholar

Post by Jack Dandy » March 14th, 2012, 9:17 am

First off, please, NO QUEST COMPASSES OR UNLIMITED FAST TRAVEL.

Second, I think the best possible kind of map is in the style of Ultima Underworld- It gradually reveals itself as you walk around, and you can put notes on it for special places of interest, or just notes for quests in general.

blacklightofday
Novice

Post by blacklightofday » March 14th, 2012, 11:21 am

Yep, definitely no teleport. Also, fast-travel could be limited to via-car/bus(whatever, man :lol: ) and needed fuel for them, close to the Fallout thing. Of course that would mean that somebody would have to waste precious inventory space carrying fuel, but it would be kinda hardcore this way and I'm sure at least some people would like it. :lol:

Roger Wilco
Scholar

Post by Roger Wilco » March 14th, 2012, 11:34 am

Indie rpg, eschelon has cartography skill that improves the detail of th e auto map as you put points into it.

Food fo r thought