[UNOFFICIAL] Director's Cut FAQ & Discussion

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Gruftlord
Explorer

Re: [UNOFFICIAL] Director's Cut FAQ & Discussion

Post by Gruftlord » October 4th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Oh, wow. Ok i stand corrected. Seems to be one of the many benefits of the unity upgrade.

MrMoe
Explorer

Post by MrMoe » October 5th, 2015, 6:36 am

sear wrote: but we have better compression for them this time around. On my hard drive, I am seeing ~20 GB for the original game and ~15 GB for the Director's Cut.
You guys using the latest Pied Piper compression algorithm, or what did change this or last year ? :ugeek:
http://www.piedpiper.com/

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » October 6th, 2015, 12:47 am

Gruftlord wrote:the DC will be a separate entry on Steam, so you will need to download it anew. it's also possibly bigger than the original with its higher quality assets and graphics.
Thanks for the reply, now I know i can safely delete my gog copy then.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

nervo82
Initiate

Post by nervo82 » October 6th, 2015, 1:14 pm

i really really hope that the will give different meches to the the fal and the g3 :P

Jimmious
Scholar

Post by Jimmious » October 9th, 2015, 2:08 am

Hey everyone. Being in the mood to prepare for the DC and plan my teams composition Id like to know if the same thresholds will apply to attributes. For example Intelligence being pointless below 4. Are all of these the same or are there changed in the DC?
Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 9th, 2015, 3:10 am

Jimmious wrote:Hey everyone. Being in the mood to prepare for the DC and plan my teams composition Id like to know if the same thresholds will apply to attributes. For example Intelligence being pointless below 4. Are all of these the same or are there changed in the DC?
According to the Official FAQ:
Are there new skills, attributes or significant character system changes?
We haven't changed the existing character system, so all the old attributes, skills and so on are still there. However, Quirks and Perks will significantly affect how you choose to build your squad, due to their requirements and gameplay changes.
The implication is that the stat thresholds and figured characteristics are (sadly) the same as before. We won't know for sure until Tuesday, though.

Jimmious
Scholar

Post by Jimmious » October 9th, 2015, 4:04 am

Hm. Kinda sucks but oh well, I'll live with it I guess..
Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids.

Dragoon
Acolyte

Post by Dragoon » October 13th, 2015, 1:03 am

Sorry if I'm late to the praise party, but I have to say Tets did a great job with his DC news compilation at the first post.
I loved the formatting and that every bits of information got its own source link.
"You know what must really suck? Being a Nigerian official trying to send legitimate e-mail."

neutral22
Initiate

Post by neutral22 » October 13th, 2015, 7:57 am

Umm, quick question

Is it possible to just update the standard Wasteland 2 installation, rather than installing a completely new client, to play the Director's cut?
Would perhaps save me a 2 hour download.
If I understand it correctly however, I do have to download the new client to play

Dragoon
Acolyte

Post by Dragoon » October 13th, 2015, 8:57 am

neutral22 wrote:Umm, quick question

Is it possible to just update the standard Wasteland 2 installation, rather than installing a completely new client, to play the Director's cut?
If I understand it correctly however, I do have to download the new client to play
I was thinking the same thing, but the structure and compression changed completely. I don't think it's not possible to bring over any files from a regular WL2 installation. Even then you would need to know what files to rename and where to put, because the assets changed file names and folder location.
"You know what must really suck? Being a Nigerian official trying to send legitimate e-mail."

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 13th, 2015, 10:38 am

neutral22 wrote:Is it possible to just update the standard Wasteland 2 installation, rather than installing a completely new client, to play the Director's cut?
Correct. The DC has been rebuilt to the point that it's essentially a whole new game. Sorry!

A whole 2 hours, I'm sad for you Image
I've been downloading for 10 and it's still not quite done. :P

hero1900
Initiate

Post by hero1900 » March 8th, 2016, 6:53 pm

i will install the DC later to check it out

Sureshot_321
Initiate

Post by Sureshot_321 » March 9th, 2016, 5:15 pm

I much prefer a physical copy of a game vs a download from a site. However, I cannot find any place that sells the director's cut for the PC. Amazon, Newegg, Walmart etc., if they list the game at all, it's only the original PC version. I'm in Canada but I've checked US and Canadian sites to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

I loved the original Wasteland and STILL have the complete original game for the Commodore64! I've even replayed it within the past decade using a PC version and a dosbox emulator

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 10th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Sureshot_321 wrote:I much prefer a physical copy of a game vs a download from a site. However, I cannot find any place that sells the director's cut for the PC. Amazon, Newegg, Walmart etc., if they list the game at all, it's only the original PC version. I'm in Canada but I've checked US and Canadian sites to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

I loved the original Wasteland and STILL have the complete original game for the Commodore64! I've even replayed it within the past decade using a PC version and a dosbox emulator
Well, good news and bad news. The good news: there is no Director's Cut boxed copy on PC - the original upgrades to the Director's Cut for free (on Steam). The Director's Cut only got a physical release on consoles.

The bad news: well, that there wasn't a PC physical version, I guess. ;)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 11th, 2016, 12:37 pm

You could, however, download it, patch it through Steam, and then just burn it to DVD or put it on a USB drive. It should run without Steam.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Sureshot_321
Initiate

Post by Sureshot_321 » March 28th, 2016, 11:42 am

sear wrote:Well, good news and bad news. The good news: there is no Director's Cut boxed copy on PC - the original upgrades to the Director's Cut for free (on Steam). The Director's Cut only got a physical release on consoles.

The bad news: well, that there wasn't a PC physical version, I guess. ;)

Ok, thanks for the info. I kind of suspected that might be the case as I couldn't find a PC Directors Cut ANYWHERE.
I did see a (old) press release advertising the Directors Cut and that indicated that there would be a PC version. Guess it never came to be.

I'll get a physical copy of the original off Amazon and update