[UNOFFICIAL] Director's Cut FAQ & Discussion

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Tets
Master

[UNOFFICIAL] Director's Cut FAQ & Discussion

Post by Tets » April 12th, 2015, 7:56 am

TL;DR
Release: Digitally on PC on October 13th, 2015. For console digital and retail, on October 13th, 2015 in the Americas, and October 16th, 2015 worldwide. It is priced at $40 USD.

With many all-new features that you have requested, overhauled graphics, an upgrade to a new game engine, and tons of new recorded voice-over, not to mention controller support and Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions – Wasteland 2 Director's Cut is truly the definitive version of the game. And of course, anyone who currently owns Wasteland 2 will get the Director’s Cut on PC, Mac and Linux for FREE!
(Source) Watch the TRAILER here.

FAQ

Table of Content
1. What's the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut?
1.1 Wait, wasn´t this update called Game of the Year Edition (GOTY) before?
1.2 When will it be released?
1.3 On which systems will it be released?
1.4 Will PC owners be able to receive the improvements?
1.5 Can i continue the game with my old save files? Can i still play the original version?
1.6 Will there be a Patch 7 before the Director's Cut gets released?
1.7 How big is the installation size compared to the "original" version of the game?
2. What will change?
2.1 Graphic Update: Unity 5
2.2 Console & Gamepad Support
2.3 Character Creation & Squad Overview
2.4 Character System: Quirks & Perk
2.5 Combat System: Precision Strikes
2.6 New Voice-Over
2.7 Balance Pass
2.8 Armor & Energy Weapons
2.9 New Weapons - Visible Armor - Better Barter Screen - Updated Manual and more..
2.10 Better Mod Support
3. Pictures

What's the Wasteland 2 Director's Cut?
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut is truly the definitive version of the game. (Source) Watch the TRAILER here.

Wait, wasn´t this update called Game of the Year Edition (GOTY) before?
Many of you are familiar with our previously announced Game of the Year Edition update for Wasteland 2. Today, we are happy to share with you that Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition will henceforth be known as Wasteland 2 Director's Cut. ... Why the change? We feel that this new title more accurately reflects the contents of the update. Rather than just being a repackaging of the same old content, the Director's Cut name indicates the sheer scope of the changes involved. (Source)

When will it be released?
The Director's Cut is coming digitally on PC on October 13th, 2015, and for console digital and retail, on October 13th, 2015 in the Americas, and October 16th, 2015 worldwide. It is priced at $40 USD.

On which systems will it be released?
PC, PS4, XBox One (Source). No plans to port it to Wii U. (Source)

Will PC owners be able to receive the improvements?
We’re very happy to announce that the [Director's Cut] will be coming as a FREE UPDATE to all owners of Wasteland 2 on Windows, Mac or Linux. Whether an original backer, a late backer or someone who purchased the game later on, we will be providing Wasteland 2 [Director's Cut] Edition as an upgrade to your PC version of the game, available to you when it launches in late summer of this year! (Source)

Can i continue the game with my old save files? Can i still play the original version?
Given the absolutely massive number of changes from the "original" version of the game to the [Director's Cut] Edition, you won't be able to use your old saves. ... That said, you will be able to continue playing the original version of the game if you want. The [Director's Cut] Edition will be a separate product in your game library, rather than a patch to the existing build. This is important because we don't want anyone stuck with a version of the game they can't play due to having low-end specs, for instance, or if they simply prefer the original. (Source)

Will there be a Patch 7 before the Director's Cut gets released?
We don't have any plans to put out a patch 7... (Source)

How big is the installation size compared to the "original" version of the game?
Our install size is actually smaller due to Unity 5's improved resource handling and texture compression we added. (Source)

What will change?
- Graphic Update: Unity 5
Unity 5 allows us to use a new shader called Physically Based Rendering. The short description is that it helps to simulate real world lighting situations better than the previous art pipelines. In order to use it properly, we’re going back over all environments and adjusting the materials of the objects to work properly. At the same time, we’re improving the meshes and textures so all scenes are getting a nice facelift. We’re also redoing all humanoid character models in the game. Combined, these two elements have a massive impact on the visual quality. (Source)

- Console &Gamepad Support
As for combat, Firaxis’ wonderful XCOM reboot is a clear inspiration. In fact it’s an inspiration for the entire Wasteland 2 console project. (Source) We're making significant changes to the UI and controls to make sure the game plays as well as it can, taking advantage of those things that consoles do well while finding new solutions for the bits and pieces that don't map to gamepads perfectly. We are not treating that version of the game as an afterthought. (Source)

While the PC version will let you play with a gamepad, you don't have to, and the UI won't change to "gamepad mode" if you aren't using one. We already have a pretty solid UI for mouse and keyboard, and we designed the game originally around it, so no need to mess with it where it works. (Source)

- Character Creation & Squad Overview
Now, you'll have a better picture of your entire squad at a glance, so you can identify changes to make before starting on your mission. Your attributes, skills and traits are displayed here to help you identify your Ranger squad’s strengths and weaknesses. When you dive into each squad member's details, there's more new stuff to see. We've rearranged the layout of the Character Creation process significantly. Now, you customize your character's appearance, portrait, and bio as the first step. ... We've also added some quality of life improvements, such as an improved portrait gallery. From there, we move on to the Customize Ranger screen, where you edit all your stats and skills. It works just the same as before, but it's been visually upgraded to match the rest of our art changes and reorganized to be a bit easier to digest. (Source)

- Character System: Quirks & Perks
In the [Director's Cut] Edition, you'll be able to customize your squad of Desert Rangers with over 80 Perks & 20 Quirks, which let you fine-tune your characters throughout the game with unique bonuses and trade-offs. (Source) Quirks as similar to traits in the Fallout games. They are personality elements that have a positive and a negative tied to them so they do a great job at modifying the experience. Players will earn points to spend on their unlocked perks as they level up. Perks are all positive and can give you unique ways to approach combat or other skills. (Source) Some will change how you play rather significantly, while others will be a little more benign in their influence. Many of them might give you more situational benefits/drawbacks, or things that could be both an upside or a downside depending on the context, for instance. (Source)

- Combat System: Precision Strikes
Our new Precision Strike system lets Rangers target individual body parts on enemies to gain the edge in combat. Wasteland 2's Precision strikes will tend towards less random and more reliable. With Precision Strikes, you'll be able to inflict debilitating status effects on your enemies to turn the tactical tide. For example, aiming for an enemy's torso will reduce their armor value, letting you hit them harder with your other squadmates, and firing on their head (or CPU, as the case may be) has a chance to stun or even send them into a psychotic state where they won't be able to tell friend from foe. With Precision Strikes the battlefield becomes much more dynamic and chaotic. (Source)

- New Voice-Over
We’ve ... managed to go back and add new voiceover for key characters and story moments. (Source) The plan is to add VO for all companion NPCs that journey with you in the world. Right now, they’ll bark dialog text but most of them don’t have an actual voice. Along with the CNPC’s, we’ve been going over the list of major characters in the game and working on casting for NPCs that we feel should have more of a voice. As of right now, we’re at over 4000 new voiced lines and it’s still growing. (Source)

- Balance Pass
Adding all of this new content requires a full balance pass as well... (Source) We are taking post-release feedback into account to tighten up some of the weapon balance and make different types feel more distinctive, plus touching stuff like loot drops/placement and the economic side of the game as well. (Source)

- Armor & Energy Weapons
We aren't changing how armor and energy weapons interact. What we found in testing was the issue with people taking off their armor was primarily an encounter design problem (i.e. too many enemies late game using dominantly energy weapons). We're going back and redoing the majority of encounters in the game and are fixing this issue up in the process. In addition to some stat and balancing tweaks, this issue should be gone in the [Director's Cut] Edition. (Source)

- New Weapons - Visible Armor - Better Barter Screen - Updated Manual and more..

- Better Mod Support
A major benefit of moving to Unity 5 is that 5 will include many of the tools from Unity 4.x Pro. We relied on many of these tools during our development (like creating and building navigation meshes), and they will be available to modders without having to pay thousands of dollars for a Pro Unity license. There is no doubt that this migration will allow us to release better tools for modding to our community in the future. (Source)

Pictures
--------
I tried to collect all information available about the Director´s Cut. No offical FAQ. I dont guarantee for the warranty of the informations. Did i missed something? Help appreciated!
Last edited by Tets on October 4th, 2015, 2:49 am, edited 25 times in total.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: GOTY Edition FAQ

Post by Zombra » April 12th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Nice roundup. Thanks Tets!

sear
Developer

Re: [UNOFFICIAL] GOTY Edition FAQ

Post by sear » April 13th, 2015, 8:35 am

Thanks for the compilation. I've stuck this thread and tagged it as unofficial. In the future we might have an updated FAQ when we are closer to release.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » April 13th, 2015, 9:32 am

thx and feel free to edit the faq, if you think informations are wrong or missleading.

Looking forward to the next update about the GOTY edition :D

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » April 17th, 2015, 1:03 pm

bokkie
Novice

Post by bokkie » April 17th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Why don't they just say that backers/pc owners are getting a goty update? This sounds like there's a different possibility which makes me a bit nervous. They wouldn't charge money would they...

EDIT: the points in anoher threda (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12757) are still valid, it would not make a lot of sense not to upgrade current owners to the GOTY edition since we were promised modding capabilities etc. but the wording used in the news is a bit weird in that light: ' We’ll have more news in the future on what that means for those who already own a PC/Mac/Linux copy of the game '.
Last edited by bokkie on April 17th, 2015, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xuio
Initiate

Post by Xuio » April 17th, 2015, 2:51 pm

bokkie wrote: They wouldn't charge money would they...
Yeah, very good question...

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 17th, 2015, 11:50 pm

bokkie wrote:Why don't they just say that backers/pc owners are getting a goty update? This sounds like there's a different possibility which makes me a bit nervous. They wouldn't charge money would they...
I still can't believe they would. The negative PR hit they would take would be devastating. I don't have any inside info though.

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » April 18th, 2015, 8:29 am

Possibly shit like timed exclusive on consoles, then later for free to owners of WL2 on pc. We were promised balance passes long before the talk about the GOTY. I don't think they would suddenly start charging for it, but some thing seems to be up. Pretty sure sony and microsoft wouldn't want them to go around stating, that the upgrade is free on pc, might cut into their sales. There's probably some kind of contract between inXile and the console companies, and they're under some form of NDA currently. They've pulled nearly the same wording before, when talking about a pc release

Caerdon
Scholar

Post by Caerdon » April 18th, 2015, 9:26 am

Let's not go ape over this before we actually hear form inXile, alright? I see no reason to think this is anything different than when CDPR released TW2:EE, which was mostly marketed as TW2 for XBOX yet was also a free patch for all PC game owners.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » April 18th, 2015, 10:50 am

from a news coverage/promotion/publicity point of view its good to hand out bits of information and not all at once.

Mallaca51
Explorer

Post by Mallaca51 » April 18th, 2015, 1:35 pm

You should add one

[Will they fix the Prison/Make a 2nd ending for the game/Make additions for 2nd runs of playing?

One Day, Killap will fix it all up for us like he did Fallout 2 and we can play the Wasteland Restoration Project

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » April 18th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Eh, do you people feel the need to make shit up without any actual information available? Don't you have anything better to do with your life?

Its safe to assume the upgrade is free unless specifically stated otherwise. Not that I would mind paying a small fee if upgrades are as big as they promise. Its a lot more than just a balance pass now, its reworked graphics, new voiceover and a lot of new systems. But, they promised a balance pass coming in a patch well before announcing GOTY version, so its most likely going to be free.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Nurg
Initiate

Post by Nurg » April 22nd, 2015, 7:55 am

Console/Gamepad Support
Great! I love playing xcom from the sofa. I hope they can make this work, W2 is a much more fiddly game..

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » April 23rd, 2015, 10:13 am

I wonder if it would be terribly expensive to license Walking in LA by Missing Persons as a combat tune that can play in Hollywood. Maybe not actually the lyrics, but at least that enigmatic keyboard melody that is so prominent in the song.

I dunno why, but I'm thinking that could be all kinds of awesome. And the chick who walks around HW singing her version of this song should totally be voiced!

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » April 24th, 2015, 5:07 pm

I hope the visible armour is optional. I like keeping my carefully chosen PC outfits throughout the game.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » April 24th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Stuurminator wrote:I hope the visible armour is optional. I like keeping my carefully chosen PC outfits throughout the game.
Agreed. My "Three Amigos" styled Rangers won't look nearly as dapper if they're suddenly covered in kevlar and metal plates.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » April 24th, 2015, 8:18 pm

SagaDC wrote:
Stuurminator wrote:I hope the visible armour is optional. I like keeping my carefully chosen PC outfits throughout the game.
Agreed. My "Three Amigos" styled Rangers won't look nearly as dapper if they're suddenly covered in kevlar and metal plates.
We are... the THREE Amigos...

(in death metal voice) ...of death and ultimate destruction!

Stinktier
Acolyte

Post by Stinktier » April 28th, 2015, 12:04 am

It wouldn't be hard to put a small tick box/switch near the clothes panel if clothes or armour should be displayed, and a mouse-hover-tooltip to explain. That way, the option could be individual for each ranger.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » May 9th, 2015, 4:08 am

updated the FAQ :D