A question about the GOTY version...

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Ghamarro
Initiate

A question about the GOTY version...

Post by Ghamarro » March 27th, 2015, 10:30 pm

What up,

Will you be able to disable the GOTY additions to the PC version of Wasteland 2 in case you want to play the game in vanilla mode?
Pronto!

dorkboy
Master

Re: A question about the GOTY version...

Post by dorkboy » March 29th, 2015, 1:42 am

Figured I'd throw some of my own GOTY questions in here, as well.
I apologize if these questions have already been answered elsewhere, and similarily if things have already been implemented and I just haven't noticed. (Still waiting in order to play the game in as finished a state as possible. Had a lot of fun in the beta, though.)

1. The GOTY enhancements will be coming to PC. Does that mean that anyone with a copy of the game will be eligible for the GOTY version, or will it be a separate SKU/copy?

2. I'm assuming the balance pass and the GOTY enhancements will coincide. Is this correct? Will any of these improvements be released piecemeal?

3. Will the GOTY enhancements be released for the PC simultaneously with the console launch (-> "late summer")?

4. Is it safe to say that the currently released version will not receive any more updates before the GOTY improvements?

5. The console port, and the gamepad support on PC, will obviously require revisiting the camera management. Will the non-gamepad camera controls also be revisited? (Being able to turn off auto-follow/auto-center during combat, not edge-scrolling while the rotation key is pressed down, being able to rotate indefinitely/"beyond the edge of the screen" in a single motion [relevant at low resolutions]. Again, I apologize if these have already been addressed.)

6. Text size/legibility at low resolutions? Will Unity 5 enable improvements there?

7. Will the move to Unity 5 have as a priority, however low, performance improvements on low end systems, or will the focus be on pushing the graphics on high end systems?

(8. Will loot markers be optional, or will it be/is it possible to mod them away?)

As always, any clarification is appreciated, and keep on trucking! :)
marmelade & jam

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 29th, 2015, 4:00 am

dorkboy wrote:1. The GOTY enhancements will be coming to PC. Does that mean that anyone with a copy of the game will be eligible for the GOTY version, or will it be a separate SKU/copy?
As far as I know, this is correct, because:
2. I'm assuming the balance pass and the GOTY enhancements will coincide. Is this correct? Will any of these improvements be released piecemeal?
Likewise, I believe the next (major) update will turn existing copies into GOTY. Since it's an engine upgrade and new functionality, as opposed to major DLC, I can't see inXile maintaining two different versions.
3. Will the GOTY enhancements be released for the PC simultaneously with the console launch (-> "late summer")?
This seems to be the case. The only time scale I've seen mentioned anywhere is summer. Since the GOTY version seems to be the thing that makes console versions possible, I'd be stunned if the console versions drop first.
4. Is it safe to say that the currently released version will not receive any more updates before the GOTY improvements?
Again, my understanding is that, come summer, the only version will be GOTY. It's like asking if they're going to keep updating the Patch 2 version of the game.
7. Will the move to Unity 5 have as a priority, however low, performance improvements on low end systems, or will the focus be on pushing the graphics on high end systems?
I think part of the upgrades in Unity 5 is that it's less of a hog, which should make life a little easier on lower end systems.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » March 29th, 2015, 4:13 am

Hm, let me formulate #3 and #4 a bit differently:

3b/4b: Will there be any more updates/patches/changes to the game between now and "late summer"?
marmelade & jam

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » March 29th, 2015, 9:33 am

dorkboy wrote:Hm, let me formulate #3 and #4 a bit differently:

3b/4b: Will there be any more updates/patches/changes to the game between now and "late summer"?
I would say no, though InXile is fairly silent on patches so who knows.

As I understand it, one of the reasons for Unity 5 is to allow for modding without requiring the purchase of a Unity license. So I expect dev efforts to go into the modding tool instead of patches for the present Unity 4 version.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 30th, 2015, 12:56 pm

dorkboy wrote:3b/4b: Will there be any more updates/patches/changes to the game between now and "late summer"?
I'd be surprised, just going on recent history. It seems to be a big patch, followed by a hotfix or two within the first couple days of the patch, and then nothing until the next big patch months later.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

kurosawa
Acolyte

Post by kurosawa » March 31st, 2015, 3:23 am

...I own the game since release but hadn't the time to play it.
Could inxile be more specific what will change in the updated version? The aimed shot sounds interesting and reminds of fallout.

"Our new Precision Strike (aimed shots) system will let you target individual body parts to cripple or stun enemies, or shatter their armor so you can mop them up, giving you even more options in combat."

perhaps upload some comparison screens of the lighting and shadowing, improved character models and enviroment, so I can decide if I play it now or wait for the updated version.

Thanks.
Last edited by kurosawa on March 31st, 2015, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." , The Departed (2006)

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » March 31st, 2015, 10:15 am

Ghamarro wrote:Will you be able to disable the GOTY additions to the PC version of Wasteland 2 in case you want to play the game in vanilla mode?
I don’t think it will be implemented.
But I intend to write a patch using tonurics’ method allowing to downgrade a GOTY edition to the latest Unity 4 version.

Of course, it’s assuming it will not be so big a patch that it would take longer to download than the said Unity 4 version.

-----

I will *not* try to backport fixes through this patch.
If you use it to go back to the latest Unity 4 version it will be the full experience, original bugs included.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » March 31st, 2015, 1:34 pm

@kurosawa
This article has two graphics comparisons: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... d-xbox-one
marmelade & jam

Bayaderas
Initiate

Post by Bayaderas » April 6th, 2015, 10:56 am

Hey!!

My biggest question about GOTY edition is: will I be able to import my savegames and continue playing a better looking game from where I left off and if I have finished W2, will I be able to import my character to the GOTY edition once I get it? In other words, how compatible are the two versions?