Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

User avatar
sear
Developer
Posts: 2676
Joined: March 21st, 2012, 8:30 am

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by sear » March 24th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Speculation and respectful discussion aside (which everyone's welcome to do), I'll just chime in that we do not currently have plans to bring Wasteland 2 to Wii U.

JETjunkie95
Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by JETjunkie95 » March 25th, 2015, 10:09 am

sear wrote:Speculation and respectful discussion aside (which everyone's welcome to do), I'll just chime in that we do not currently have plans to bring Wasteland 2 to Wii U.
I am not surprised if you or your colleagues haven't attended this years GDC or at least didn't follow it on the web as there was presentation involving sales of indie games on various platform in which Wii U was close to Xbox One in terms of sales potential.

User avatar
dflatline
Scholar
Posts: 237
Joined: April 7th, 2013, 4:58 am

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by dflatline » April 2nd, 2015, 1:36 am


JETjunkie95
Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by JETjunkie95 » April 11th, 2015, 3:21 pm

dflatline wrote:Nintendo still censoring games: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/11519298 ... -and-xbox1
You have fallen for an April Fool's which was that it was censored...

It is coming to Xbox One, Wii U and N3DS... Uncensored.

Since Nintendo allows it now, Wasteland 2 has no obstacles at all and thus no worries for developers.

User avatar
dflatline
Scholar
Posts: 237
Joined: April 7th, 2013, 4:58 am

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by dflatline » April 12th, 2015, 10:58 am

JETjunkie95 wrote:
dflatline wrote:Nintendo still censoring games: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/11519298 ... -and-xbox1
You have fallen for an April Fool's which was that it was censored...

It is coming to Xbox One, Wii U and N3DS... Uncensored.

Since Nintendo allows it now, Wasteland 2 has no obstacles at all and thus no worries for developers.
I knew.

User avatar
Gruftlord
Explorer
Posts: 453
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 2:43 am

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Gruftlord » April 12th, 2015, 12:08 pm

How much ram does the wiiu have? I heard wl2 has problems running with less than 4. Does the wiiu have dedicated vram, or is a portion of the ram reserved and used for video calculations?

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5854
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Woolfe » April 12th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Moving to Unity 5 may be beneficial in that respect.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Stinktier
Acolyte
Posts: 64
Joined: April 3rd, 2015, 2:21 am

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Stinktier » April 13th, 2015, 3:01 am

It's also a question about what peripherals to use. The wiimote was balanced enough to make game ports like Resident Evil 4 take a step from good gameplay to near perfect gameplay (though the increased ease of aiming wasn't balanced out by other game mechanics). It's not good enough for detailed point and clicky stuff. Touch screens are cool, but sticking with the joypad scheme is probably the easiest route.

JETjunkie95
Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by JETjunkie95 » April 13th, 2015, 4:22 am

Gruftlord wrote:How much ram does the wiiu have? I heard wl2 has problems running with less than 4. Does the wiiu have dedicated vram, or is a portion of the ram reserved and used for video calculations?
Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 1600MHz CL11 with bandwidth of 12.8GBps
1GB is dedicated for operating system while other 1GB is available for games

GPU of Wii U has own RAM for frame buffer, intermediate frame buffer and as fast scratchpad memory for CPU intensive works also for other GPU memory writes. RAM that GPU uses is embedded in the GPU which is separated into 8 macro's/bank's/section's and its type is eDRAM that is 32MB large which is enough for 1920x1080P frame buffer with double buffering.

Design of Wii U is nothing akin to Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 while its design has more in common to Xbox One.

It would take too long to explain, but Wii U's design and efficiency is far superior to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Reason why Wasteland 2 had issues with less than 4GB of system RAM was due to Unity 4 engine while Unity 5 engine is more efficient and has of memory foot print onto system RAM, Unity 5 is overall more flexible than Unity 4.

Time will tell by how much...

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9734
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Drool » April 13th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Expecting Unity 5 to reduce the needed RAM by 75% seems optimistic.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

User avatar
Gruftlord
Explorer
Posts: 453
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 2:43 am

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Gruftlord » April 13th, 2015, 12:36 pm

i suspect, that inXile will have a good background in porting the game, once they have done it for XBone and PS4, so they can make a very educated guess, how much time it will cost them to port it to another console.
then it depends, how high they think their expected sales are going to be, whicl will be the second deciding factor.

both of these have been discussed before. i think once they ported it to unity 5 and the current gen consoles, they will know if it is feasable, to run the game on the wiiu. nut sure i would get my hopes up too much, seeing how unity is cosidered a RAM hog, and how optimization for RAM is not really a necessity that much on XBone and PS4. it remains to be seen, how much the unity upgrade in itself helps, but i think Woolfe has a point here.

as for the audience the game might find on wiiu, the negatives have been covered already. as a pro point, i might mentione, that the nintendo systems sport a few jrpg/strategy titles, and their audience might be interested in WL2, should it come to WiiU. not sure that's convincing enough, though.

JETjunkie95
Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by JETjunkie95 » April 13th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Drool wrote:Expecting Unity 5 to reduce the needed RAM by 75% seems optimistic.
So Wasteland 2 needs 6GB and not 4? :roll:

Wasteland 2 does not operate well on systems below 4GB due to OS using 2GB.

Inxile can reduce minimum amount of needed RAM from 2GB to 1GB, they already porting game from Unity 4 to Unity 5 which is more efficient engine and will reduce footprint on the system RAM.

JETjunkie95
Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by JETjunkie95 » April 13th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Gruftlord wrote:...
Wii U's hardware should't be the issue for a game such as Wasteland 2 since historically primary limitations are from game engine, game code and assets...

If Wasteland 2 was on Wii U with decent/practical usage of gamepad and good amount of control options and combinations then it will peak interest of the Wii U users and Nintendo fans.

saintsfan
Initiate
Posts: 8
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by saintsfan » April 13th, 2015, 1:14 pm

JETjunkie95 wrote:
Gruftlord wrote:...
Wii U's hardware should't be the issue for a game such as Wasteland 2 since historically primary limitations are from game engine, game code and assets...

If Wasteland 2 was on Wii U with decent/practical usage of gamepad and good amount of control options and combinations then it will peak interest of the Wii U users and Nintendo fans.
You have to break down the userbase though. You can't just say "WiiU users".

It'd be WiiU users who have an interest in this type of game

Then it'd be filtered through WiiU users who have an interest in this type of game but haven't picked up on PC, PS4, or Xbox One for some reason.

With a userbase of 10 million you'd need enough left after going through those filters to warrant the cost of porting it. And it's not just making a profit. It's making enough of a profit to account for the opportunity cost of having those employees working on other projects instead of the port.

You can't simply say that it'd be worth it to make as if it's some sourcable fact.

User avatar
Gruftlord
Explorer
Posts: 453
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 2:43 am

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Gruftlord » April 13th, 2015, 1:39 pm

JETjunkie95 wrote:
Gruftlord wrote:...
Wii U's hardware should't be the issue for a game such as Wasteland 2 since historically primary limitations are from game engine, game code and assets...

If Wasteland 2 was on Wii U with decent/practical usage of gamepad and good amount of control options and combinations then it will peak interest of the Wii U users and Nintendo fans.
*shrugs* whatever. fact is: the game runs in Unity 4, soon 5. it requires as much resources as it requires. if this is too much for WiiU, this requires further optimization, which increases costs.... you get the idea (now...i hope).

if the costs look like too much an investment, that's it. no matter what anybody thinks how things should be because "historically". there's a pun hidden here, with WiiU and "historically", but i leave that to people more eloquent than me.

also: assets. last i heard WL2 is getting more polygons and pixels now (as in: higher details on models and textures). yes, assets do require stronger hardware. chances might be, that inXile ports the game to the improved engine, and then tries to optimize the look of the game, while maintaining a good FPS on the current gen consoles. if this is anywhere near the truth, the outlook is grim for a WiiU port. because realistically, the only asset-optimization that could (cheaply) be done after that is reduced texture resolution.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9734
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Drool » April 13th, 2015, 1:51 pm

JETjunkie95 wrote:So Wasteland 2 needs 6GB and not 4? :roll:
No, it takes 4. One is 25% of 4, thus reducing from 4 to 1 is a 75% reduction. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the WiiU has 2GB of DDR3 1600MHz CL11 with bandwidth of 12.8GBps, but that 1GB is dedicated for operating system, which would mean 1GB is available for games.



And... dammit. I got sucked in again. I'm gonna go argue gender politics on Tumblr. It'll be more fruitful.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5854
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Woolfe » April 13th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Drool wrote:And... dammit. I got sucked in again. I'm gonna go argue gender politics on Tumblr. It'll be more fruitful.
:lol:

As Sea has said, they have no plans in regards to Wii U. The most likely reason is that they are simply focused on PS4 and Xbone. They are still only a small dev house. They simply do not have the resources to release on every platform at once. Even with the advantages brought by Unity being designed as a cross platform system, there is still work they have to do to port, and that's not including the other work they are doing to make it a GoTY version.

If at the end of this, if they believe there is room for a Wii U version, I am sure they will look at it.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Onholyservicebound
Scholar
Posts: 179
Joined: July 19th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by Onholyservicebound » April 13th, 2015, 9:09 pm

I own a wii u and this wouldn't interest me, I buy Nintendo consoles for their first party titles. Which are generally polished, light, fun titles with fluid controls that you can jump into with your friends/family. Not a buggy as hell 80 hour epic Western oldschool CRPG with a focus on c&c and dark themes.

Shovel Knight is almost indistinguishable from a Nintendo title, it fits in perfectly with their flagship games.

Ultimately though, I see no reason not to if it was a simple task, I mean, they're porting it to xbox one, which has about that number of owners, :P . I can't imagine it selling very well, but my evidence is anecdotal, and I couldn't be arsed to click all those links.(sorry.)

JETjunkie95
Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by JETjunkie95 » April 14th, 2015, 6:26 am

Drool wrote:
JETjunkie95 wrote:So Wasteland 2 needs 6GB and not 4? :roll:
No, it takes 4. One is 25% of 4, thus reducing from 4 to 1 is a 75% reduction. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the WiiU has 2GB of DDR3 1600MHz CL11 with bandwidth of 12.8GBps, but that 1GB is dedicated for operating system, which would mean 1GB is available for games.



And... dammit. I got sucked in again. I'm gonna go argue gender politics on Tumblr. It'll be more fruitful.
So again 6GB you claim... Gruftlord said that it doesn't work properly on systems that have below 4GB of system RAM yet you claim that it doesn't work on systems below 6GB of RAM despite Wasteland 2's minimum and recommended RAM requirements are 4GB.

JETjunkie95
Novice
Posts: 36
Joined: March 20th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 on Wii U?

Post by JETjunkie95 » April 14th, 2015, 6:39 am

Gruftlord wrote:*shrugs* whatever. fact is: the game runs in Unity 4, soon 5. it requires as much resources as it requires. if this is too much for WiiU, this requires further optimization, which increases costs.... you get the idea (now...i hope)

if the costs look like too much an investment, that's it. no matter what anybody thinks how things should be because "historically". there's a pun hidden here, with WiiU and "historically", but i leave that to people more eloquent than me.

I agree with you and porting game form Unity 4 to Unity 5 will allow greater performance for same result/complexity.

also: assets. last i heard WL2 is getting more polygons and pixels now (as in: higher details on models and textures). yes, assets do require stronger hardware. chances might be, that inXile ports the game to the improved engine, and then tries to optimize the look of the game, while maintaining a good FPS on the current gen consoles. if this is anywhere near the truth, the outlook is grim for a WiiU port. because realistically, the only asset-optimization that could (cheaply) be done after that is reduced texture resolution.

You are not being reasonable/logical/rational since just because GOTY edition will use higher quality assets that does not mean that they are forced to use it on Wii U if they decide to do a port, don't be narrow minded.

Due to Wii U's hardware it is viable to render game at 720P while on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be rendered at 1080P which where higher quality assets would benefit the most while on Wii U version original assets would be just fine.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests