Collector's Edition Thread

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Gatt9
Acolyte

Re: Where are the Collector's Editions?

Post by Gatt9 » November 22nd, 2014, 6:34 pm

sea wrote:Time for a peek behind the curtain!
The Tallest wrote:The way the announcements are handled is utter crap. There should be only two official places ALL announcements should go.

OFFICIAL FORUMS
KICKSTARTER

In that order. People backed on KS so ALL COMMUNICATION should go through it. The 'Oh, people consider it spam to get emails from KS.' excuse is bullshit. People backed on it, they are going to want to see emails from things they backed come from KS.
I understand your point, but you'd be surprised how many people complain about getting important news updates buried inside Kickstarter updates. Many people do not have the time to read Kickstarter updates, and there are lots of them, so people tend to skim them and miss details or just ignore them entirely.

Balancing communications channels we use is a challenge. We put the highlights/cool random stuff/"everything else" on Tumblr (which basically acts as our news page since we don't have one), important backer news is related via Kickstarter, Facebook is used for small stuff and is often a mirror of Tumblr, Brian Fargo's Twitter account is typically stuff he wants to announce that wouldn't warrant a bigger update (like mentioning details of an upcoming patch), etc. Last, we do direct email messages with critical information only when absolutely necessary, since we do not want to constantly spam our backers with information they generally don't care about.

We feel these different levels of communications give us access to fans who are at different levels of involvement, i.e. the most dedicated are those who are registered on our forums, then there's social media followers, then Kickstarter backers, and finally more "general audience" on Tumblr. Part of this is in part us leveraging the strengths of those platforms; part of it is also legacy from back when we did not really have a fully dedicated web developer to oversee our web communications or develop robust web sites, which led to us using other platforms more heavily.

You can expect to see some of this change and evolve over time as we get more web sites online and updated with more sophisticated features - for example, we plan to get the Torment web site updated to have a proper news page and content management system, and we may eventually have it supersede most other communications outlets. Wasteland 2 is a bit trickier now that the game has already been released; practically speaking, there is a lot less value in rebuilding a new site from scratch only for it to see very little use.

In short: we try our best to hit as many users as possible, and maintaining a balance is important. We don't want to drown people in information, but we also don't want to release information and have it be hard to access for those who want it. While there is always room for improvement this way, we feel that the balance we strike is pretty effective.

As for releasing information entirely: that's not something I, nor Thomas decide on (or if we do, it usually needs to be vetted by someone higher up). A lack of information doesn't mean it doesn't exist; it's just that we do not want to flood people with too much at once, or that sometimes the info we have is subject to change and we do not want to send mixed messages to people.
Right in the settings tab on Kickstarter is the ability to turn off emails for projects. If people don't want to receive emails for updates from Kickstarter then they can turn off email updates on Kickstarter. I'm also extremely confused why you're "we try our best to hit as many users as possible" by not using the one tool that hits every user on their own terms?

You are making information hard to access for those who want it by taking information that should be on Kickstarter and spreading it across numerous unrelated sites. It would be understandable if it were on the official site, but apparently you guys aren't using that either.

Now I have to wonder what all I missed with Torment, because I'm just finding out now that Kickstarter is apparently the very last place you're putting information.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 23rd, 2014, 12:31 pm

While I think there should be (should have been) more Kickstarter emails, I wanted to address this point:
Gatt9 wrote:I'm also extremely confused why you're "we try our best to hit as many users as possible" by not using the one tool that hits every user on their own terms?
Except it doesn't. Slacker Backers from the Ranger Store won't get Kickstarter emails. Torment backers that got Wasteland tiers won't get Wasteland Kickstarter emails. It also won't reach Steam Early Access players. Those last two aren't likely to be receiving physical boxes, but people who backed via the Ranger Store could order physical tiers. Kickstarter emails are good, but there's quite a few backers who aren't part of that pool.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » November 23rd, 2014, 4:41 pm

Drool wrote:Kickstarter emails are good, but there's quite a few backers who aren't part of that pool.
Kickstarter e-mails are too restrictive.
But e-mails are the best way to go. Whatever way you chose to buy the game, I’m quite sure you gave your e-mail at some point.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » November 24th, 2014, 8:21 am

Hence why we email people when we need their information. But we aren't going to spam people with emails for every small announcement or update because people get desensitized to it or don't read them, or start treating them as spam. We would prefer that not happen, but unfortunately different users can have different opinions on what constitutes excessive messaging. As I said, we are always looking at ways on improving communication so the feedback from you guys is very valuable.

We should have news on the status of Collector's Editions (signed and unsigned) shortly.

sirota554
Initiate

Post by sirota554 » November 24th, 2014, 1:57 pm

sea wrote:Hence why we email people when we need their information. But we aren't going to spam people with emails for every small announcement or update because people get desensitized to it or don't read them, or start treating them as spam. We would prefer that not happen, but unfortunately different users can have different opinions on what constitutes excessive messaging. As I said, we are always looking at ways on improving communication so the feedback from you guys is very valuable.

We should have news on the status of Collector's Editions (signed and unsigned) shortly.
Hi quick question the tumblr news mentioned
I know a few of you will be excited to finally see the collector’s edition of Wasteland 2 (basic goodies shown, higher tiers have extras such as medals). The unsigned versions will start shipping at month end. Once they arrive at inXile, Brian and Chris will be able to hole themselves up and begin signing the autographed versions. We hope you like what you see!
and
The next step is to figure out how we’ll get the signatures of Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone on the signed editions. Those versions will be shipping out later, we’ll have an exact timeline once we figure out logistically how are going to do it and how long that will take.
Now I am still really looking forward to my signed collectors edition whoever signs it but I am wondering what has happened since the kickstarter where it was said
Your boxed collectors edition copy of the game will be AUTOGRAPHED BY BRIAN FARGO, ALAN PAVLISH, MIKE STACKPOLE, CHRIS AVELLONE and other key development team members.

I know the Deep Silver process has been rough and i cant say I'm not a little disappointed by the final box design , In my head it wasn't a metal tin but a large Record box style thing similar to the c64 wasteland copy i have, but when did the amount of people signing the box drop from 4+ to 2 and why in the big open development process was it just casually thrown out there as an aside?

Anyway I have enjoyed the game i find the physical goods fiasco a bit troubling and disconcerting especially as far as Torment goes, hopefully no deep silver involvement there, anyway thanks hope i didn't sound too angry i thoroughly appreciate the work you guys are putting in to bring back this style of cRPG.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 24th, 2014, 4:37 pm

sirota554 wrote:i cant say I'm not a little disappointed by the final box design , In my head it wasn't a metal tin but a large Record box style thing similar to the c64 wasteland copy i have
I too was expecting a large, flat box, but I really can't say that I'm disappointed with it being a painted ammo case. I think that's pretty sweet, actually.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » November 25th, 2014, 7:16 am

Yeah the ammo can is neat, but to echo sirota554:

WTF up with the signatures? I'm assuming the delay on shipping means that 2 or 3 of those guys are nowhere near the locations to be available to sign them?

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » November 25th, 2014, 8:47 am

So...we're in the week of, "The End of the Month" and I'm wondering. Has anyone gotten any emails from DS stating that their CE's have shipped?

Or should we expect another update on Twitter/Tumbler, the break room bulletin board and maybe KS and the official forums but probably not that goes something like this, "Derp. Hey guys we're sorry. We didn't realize that it was probably maybe a shortened week here in the US due to some sort of Holiday where people eat turkey and ham and watch stupid football. We also didn't realize that all shipping facilities would stop accepting packages. Oh yeah, and the one guy handling all of these physical goods at DS has died. Yeah, kind of unexpectedly and sad. But the good news is that DS is working hard at finding a new employee so we can get those CE's out to you. Maybe. We think. But you can be assured that we promise to hopefully, maybe, kind of, sort of, definitely, we hope, possibly have those CE's out the door and in your hands at the most...within some month in two weeks give or take. We can't tell you exactly which two weeks and in what month because we're not entirely sure but know this; we're almost 100% positive that you'll possibly, hopefully, maybe have them in your hands at some point in your life before you die, we think, maybe."

Look don't get me wrong, I love Wasteland 2. I am totally enjoying the game. I just find all these delays with the physical goods, funny, sad and annoying all at the same time and frankly a bunch of bullshit that no one actually knows anything.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 25th, 2014, 11:17 am

The Tallest wrote:Derp. Hey guys we're sorry. We didn't realize that it was probably maybe a shortened week here in the US due to some sort of Holiday where people eat turkey and ham and watch stupid football. We also didn't realize that all shipping facilities would stop accepting packages. Oh yeah, and the one guy handling all of these physical goods at DS has died. Yeah, kind of unexpectedly and sad. But the good news is that DS is working hard at finding a new employee so we can get those CE's out to you. Maybe. We think. But you can be assured that we promise to hopefully, maybe, kind of, sort of, definitely, we hope, possibly have those CE's out the door and in your hands at the most...within some month in two weeks give or take. We can't tell you exactly which two weeks and in what month because we're not entirely sure but know this; we're almost 100% positive that you'll possibly, hopefully, maybe have them in your hands at some point in your life before you die, we think, maybe.
Perfect! Although it might be a little long for Twitter; so lets just stick it on Tumbler. :lol:

Actually, it's my hope that things started shipping yesterday and we just haven't gotten word from Austria yet. (DS doesn't send out the emails, I do.)
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » November 25th, 2014, 3:03 pm

tonurics wrote:
The Tallest wrote:Derp. Hey guys we're sorry. We didn't realize that it was probably maybe a shortened week here in the US due to some sort of Holiday where people eat turkey and ham and watch stupid football. We also didn't realize that all shipping facilities would stop accepting packages. Oh yeah, and the one guy handling all of these physical goods at DS has died. Yeah, kind of unexpectedly and sad. But the good news is that DS is working hard at finding a new employee so we can get those CE's out to you. Maybe. We think. But you can be assured that we promise to hopefully, maybe, kind of, sort of, definitely, we hope, possibly have those CE's out the door and in your hands at the most...within some month in two weeks give or take. We can't tell you exactly which two weeks and in what month because we're not entirely sure but know this; we're almost 100% positive that you'll possibly, hopefully, maybe have them in your hands at some point in your life before you die, we think, maybe.
Perfect! Although it might be a little long for Twitter; so lets just stick it on Tumbler. :lol:

Actually, it's my hope that things started shipping yesterday and we just haven't gotten word from Austria yet. (DS doesn't send out the emails, I do.)
Well you could do like 10 or so 140 character Tweets. In fact if you did copy and paste my post in a Tweet I would totally be OK with that. I'm glad you took my post in a light hearted way. As annoyed as I am with how it's being handled with DS I did mean it as a joke. I really am enjoying the game and am completely happy with it.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 25th, 2014, 5:18 pm

I'm a backer myself, so I know your frustration (no one here has a CE box either). But all we can really do now is laugh or cry.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » November 25th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Okay, Im totally not upset with delay(just minorly annoyed), if I could get ken's autograph I'll wait until end of next year, but that was funnay!

Vault_13
Scholar

Post by Vault_13 » November 26th, 2014, 3:06 am

For a second there I thought that post by The Tallest was official statement and even checked out the Tumbler :D. Still really hope to get my improved CE before the end of this year.

Thrin
Explorer

Post by Thrin » November 26th, 2014, 8:45 am

Vault_13 wrote:For a second there I thought that post by The Tallest was official statement and even checked out the Tumbler :D. Still really hope to get my improved CE before the end of this year.
Hopefully you will get it by the end of next year.

8-)

Clausewitz_
Novice

Post by Clausewitz_ » November 26th, 2014, 11:07 am

I'm like - checking my email every hour!
It's gotta be soon !

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 26th, 2014, 11:27 am

I just got an update from DS: things are still on track for this week. So we probably won't need to use Tallest's update afterall.

If I can help save your email checking fingers: any Kickstarter/Tumblr news on this will probably come in the morning or afternoon (PST / UTC-8). With direct emails coming a little later (technically, I'm suppose to do nothing but eat Turkey starting tomorrow). :lol:

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » November 26th, 2014, 2:55 pm

tonurics wrote:I just got an update from DS: things are still on track for this week. So we probably won't need to use Tallest's update afterall.

If I can help save your email checking fingers: any Kickstarter/Tumblr news on this will probably come in the morning or afternoon (PST / UTC-8). With direct emails coming a little later (technically, I'm suppose to do nothing but eat Turkey starting tomorrow). :lol:
Is it weird that I kind of want a delay now so that you have a reason to use my update?

I'm hoping they are being shipped this week.

pndrev
Initiate

Post by pndrev » November 27th, 2014, 4:10 pm

The week is more or less over, November has passed, and still no shipping email, no word about another delay, nothing. I even tried contacting inXile over email and their contact form, not even a reply there...

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » November 27th, 2014, 4:25 pm

pndrev wrote:The week is more or less over, November has passed, and still no shipping email, no word about another delay, nothing. I even tried contacting inXile over email and their contact form, not even a reply there...

Wait, you actually BELIEVED they were going out this week?

@Tonurics, my update is looking pretty good right about now isn't it?

Yotto
Initiate

Post by Yotto » November 28th, 2014, 9:09 am

Actually, you know Collector Editions actually started selling on ebay about a week ago?